• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion: Gameplay Overview Trailer

PresetError

Neophyte
The only thing I wanted to know about Watch Dogs: Legion is how deep is the recruiting system and how generic or unique are the NPC's and their storylines.

I've always known a game like this, with such a provocative concept as "every NPC is playable" HAS TO be about characters with limited archetypes/classes and skins. But the true dealbraker is how many different characters and how detailed and real they are in order to make London feel alive as an open world.

Unfortunately, reports from people that have been able to test the game are conflicted. Some say the NPC's are very generic and their quests repetitive, some say there is plenty of variety and depth.

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks after launch and watch several gameplays to decide for myself.

Stuart360

I think the game looks fun. I'm just not keen on the whole WatchDogs 2 style edglord hackers with masks etc, its so cringe.
WatchDogs 2 actually amde me aprreciate Aiden in WatchDogs 1 a lot more after playing lol.

GymWolf

I can't understand how a gigantic dev like ubisoft can't even make a game with a better graphic than days gone, a game with a 50 to 100+ people team...

Sygma

The only thing I wanted to know about Watch Dogs: Legion is how deep is the recruiting system and how generic or unique are the NPC's and their storylines.

I've always known a game like this, with such a provocative concept as "every NPC is playable" HAS TO be about characters with limited archetypes/classes and skins. But the true dealbraker is how many different characters and how detailed and real they are in order to make London feel alive as an open world.

Unfortunately, reports from people that have been able to test the game are conflicted. Some say the NPC's are very generic and their quests repetitive, some say there is plenty of variety and depth.

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks after launch and watch several gameplays to decide for myself.

The recruiting system is kinda crazy. not every npc you'll encounter has skills or weapons, some even have negative conditions tied to them but in turn it makes them pro active at certain things. You can dive in people's schedule, see who they talk to and interact with all of them to change outcomes and its all procedurally generated. Karak hasn't had a single repetition within 3 - 4 hours

Also keep in mind that this game has been in development before Watch Dogs 2 (its ubi toronto behind, the ones responsible for splinter cell blacklist)

GV82

Regarding the Graphics just know that every streamer thats uploading footage only seemingly played this in 1080p via a streaming service called parsec at least the P.C versions.

So hold off your final judgement there.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Expected something fresh but game feels that once you try 2-3 ways to solve missions all will be repetitive like WD2. Its another UBI clone...no liked it. And those graphics are a shame at the end of the generation...the game looks generic.

Last edited:

thief183

Looks like a game to buy after a very deep discount, pretty much like the entire saga.

I'd love to ask you, why? Not in an accusatory way, but it sound strange cause what we have been showed is kinda cool

So this game present you the ability to interact with all the npc in the city in ways that we never seen before, it keeps track of their position and present you with strange situations to face. Watch the ACG video, it is way more clear than my explanation. Just for this simple thing it is worth it imho. (If it actually works :p)

GymWolf

I'd love to ask you, why? Not in an accusatory way, but it sound strange cause what we have been showed is kinda cool

So this game present you the ability to interact with all the npc in the city in ways that we never seen before, it keeps track of their position and present you with strange situations to face. Watch the ACG video, it is way more clear than my explanation. Just for this simple thing it is worth it imho. (If it actually works :p)
I don't care about these gimmicks like many others and gameplay is probably gonna be subpar, especially combat.

I will watch the acg preview tho, i'm an open minded person.

ToadMan

Did they talk about how the characters intersectionality plays into there gameplay? Like if you are a black character your life is always in danger of a cop killing you? Do white characters have an ability where they automatically finish a mission without having to do anything?

I didn't hear anything like that on the GB discussion I'm afraid. Interesting concept though...

I'm sure there are generic differences in terms fo gameplay style depending on characters but whether the world reacts differently to your character in situations based on race, sex or appearance (beyond just uniform) would be interesting to find out.

Yeah i didn't understand how to get the game...can you explain to me?
After their platform went down yesterday they just made it free to everyone. To get it you need to visit a website and log in. According to my history it was https://register.ubisoft.com/ubisoft-forward-reward/en-GB

Give it a try, should work.

/edit:

yeah still forwards me to the "yes you did it page" but hours later I still don't have the game in my library so give it some time.

Last edited:

GymWolf

chriskun

I didn't hear anything like that on the GB discussion I'm afraid. Interesting concept though...

I'm sure there are generic differences in terms fo gameplay style depending on characters but whether the world reacts differently to your character in situations based on race, sex or appearance (beyond just uniform) would be interesting to find out.
I think they should use intersectionality as difficulty sliders. LIke if the game is too ease make your character black. Still too easy? Black Trans. STILL TOO EASY? disabled black trans.

This is from the lead designer of Far Cry 2. His first game that actually comes out since Far Cry 2 :messenger_hushed:

That Half-Life 3 info that came out last week sounds like his design to me. He left Valve at the beginning of 2014 - probably when HL3 was cancelled.

Somehow pretty much everything in these trailers makes me angry.

tiny soldiers
2PRFR5h.png

literally everything looks photoshopped in

Xjy8xFV.png

seemingly MS Paint level assets (btw: how is that yellow neon bar in front of the left but behind the second tower on the right?)

emanRXF.png

secret hitler

jBiKxRf.png

hover cars
woWyZIw.png

It just looks shit all around...

but maybe I'm just mad because they spit on my boy Sam Fisher :(

Ozrimandias

Somehow pretty much everything in these trailers makes me angry.

but maybe I'm just mad because they spit on my boy Sam Fisher :(

Man. you are not alone. Im' getting more angrier at ubisoft year after year. Zero interest in AC, Zero interest in Far Cry (wich nobody asked). And to make it worst, Ubi probably has the worst face animation for it's games than any other studio.

Man. you are not alone. Im' getting more angrier at ubisoft year after year. Zero interest in AC, Zero interest in Far Cry (wich nobody asked). And to make it worst, Ubi probably has the worst face animation for it's games than any other studio.
It's like the characters got their eyebrows&noses paralyzed. It's basically mouth and eyes trying to animate enough to make the faces seem alive...

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I think it looks pretty, the ability to control and add npc to your crew sounds very cool. I kinda wish it was made for next gen consoles only but it makes sense

If you can't see the woke politics increasing in games for the past few years then you are blind.

It's not something that's made up. It's real. Many developers freely admit doing it. But I won't be spending any of my money it.

Maybe one day soon you'll wake up to it.

It's a game dude, get over it. Same premise was in infamous second son.

iorek21

What will ultimately decide Watch Dogs Legion's quality is the variety of activities and story.

This "play as anyone" mechanic is pretty impressive, but it will need variety and dynamics to still be fresh after 30h of gameplay. That also includes variety in side activities, side quests and other standard open world features.

As for story, there's a big challenge in building something meaningful whilst not having a real protagonist and (possibly) a supporting cast. Personally, this will either make or break my experience with WDL, and knowing Ubisoft, I'm really skeptical about it.

Top Bottom