• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Playstation's E3 conference in movie theaters

Zebra

TO ACCESS THE SPREADSHEET

Quote Kyledk05's post.

Posting again for the next page (for my fellow 50 posts per page peeps).
Hopefully the link can get edited into the OP at some point.

Edit: Or try quoting my post and look below, but credit goes to Kyledk05, and remember not to share it publicly where non-members can see it.

border

Everyone sign up for the waitlist, if possible.

At this point I imagine that Sony and EventGrid are trying to negotiate for more screens in more cities. And they will use those waitlists as a negotiating tool. "Do you want 250 more people at your theatre? We've got hundreds of gamers dying to get in - give us another screen!"

And it totally makes sense. Imagine that you are a theatre owner. Who the hell goes to see a movie at 9PM on a Monday night? You can either play some 3 week old movie and pray that a dozen people show up, or you can use that same screen to play the E3 event and completely fill up an auditorium. Yeah those E3 nerds will get in for free, but even if only fifty of them buy a bucket of popcorn, you'll make hundreds of dollars more than you would have made trying to sell tickets to a Monday night screening of Moms' Night Out.

demolitio

So am I the only one that feels like this might also be a chance of letting their hardcore fans see the 3D games for Morpheus in 3D at the theater as a way to get them excited? It's obviously not going to be the same thing but could be a good tool as well to show how good their 3D can look.

Otherwise, I guess it's a cool move just to get like-minded gamers together to celebrate your system and they do like showing their appreciation to the core gamers, but surely there's a reason for this idea this year of all years.

border

So am I the only one that feels like this might also be a chance of letting their hardcore fans see the 3D games for Morpheus in 3D at the theater as a way to get them excited? It's obviously not going to be the same thing but could be a good tool as well to show how good their 3D can look.

I doubt that they will be showing a lot of Morpheus content at their press conference. That tech is probably at least a year or two away. Theatres probably don't want the hassle of distributing glasses to all the audience members.

Colby

I doubt that they will be showing a lot of Morpheus content at their press conference. That tech is probably at least a year or two away. Theatres probably don't want the hassle of distributing glasses to all the audience members.
I'm not sure if you've seen a 3D movie in theaters recently, but distributing 3D glasses is really simple. You just grab a pair on the way in, and it takes no extra time to do so. It would be a unique thing for Sony to showcase some 3D tech to theater patrons that they can't showcase to public streamers.

Capella

Otherwise, I guess it's a cool move just to get like-minded gamers together to celebrate your system and they do like showing their appreciation to the core gamers, but surely there's a reason for this idea this year of all years.

Shinobi hinted that they where changing up the format this year and that this event at the theaters is part of it. I doubt it's for Project Morpheus though since a conference doesn't seem like a good way to try and demonstrate something like VR.

I'm not sure if you've seen a 3D movie in theaters recently, but distributing 3D glasses is really simple. You just grab a pair on the way in, and it takes no extra time to do so. It would be a unique thing for Sony to showcase some 3D tech to theater patrons that they can't showcase to public streamers.

You can't really simulate the experience of VR with 3D, they are two very different things.

border

"Hassle" is probably the wrong word to use. The logistics of distributing glasses to audience members is relatively simple.

But if you are a theatre owner, you probably know the for every 100 or 1000 glasses you hand out, there's a certain percentage of them that don't come back. Some people break the glasses, some people chuck them into a garbage can, some people keep them as a souvenir. Under normal circumstances these losses would be absorbed by the $2 fee they charge for 3D movies. In this case however the E3 conference is free, so they would essentially have to eat the cost of any lost/stolen/broken 3D glasses. Managers are notoriously cheap, so I can imagine that many wouldn't want to give glasses to people attending a free event. Maybe Sony or EventGrid will cough up the extra money for a 3D presentation, but I wouldn't bet on it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

At this point I imagine that Sony and EventGrid are trying to negotiate for more screens in more cities. And they will use those waitlists as a negotiating tool. "Do you want 250 more people at your theatre? We've got hundreds of gamers dying to get in - give us another screen!"

And it totally makes sense. Imagine that you are a theatre owner. Who the hell goes to see a movie at 9PM on a Monday night? You can either play some 3 week old movie and pray that a dozen people show up, or you can use that same screen to play the E3 event and completely fill up an auditorium. Yeah those E3 nerds will get in for free, but even if only fifty of them buy a bucket of popcorn, you'll make hundreds of dollars more than you would have made trying to sell tickets to a Monday night screening of Moms' Night Out.
I really hope that's happening. You make a good point about concession sales giving them some bargaining power, pretty much every screen they open should be guaranteed to be packed so that's a lot of potential popcorn sales for the theater.

border

I really hope that's happening. You make a good point about concession sales giving them some bargaining power, pretty much every screen they open should be guaranteed to be packed so that's a lot of potential popcorn sales for the theater.

When MoviePass started, they made a lot of great points about how notoriously inefficient movie theatres are. How many times have you gone to see a movie and discovered that there were only a dozen other people in the auditorium with you? Most of the time not even 20% of seats are sold. If theatres would lower their prices or have free screenings just for the sake of concession sales, they would probably do a lot better.

It's arguably way smarter to fill up a room for free and sell concessions to 200+ people than it is to try and sell tickets to a few dozen people. We have a local theatre here that does free screenings of The Walking Dead for massive crowds, and I imagine those are much better moneymakers than a lot of Hollywood blockbusters.

Bluenova

Neo Member

FWIW, that is exactly how they make their profit, [My first job lol] and full auditoriums of our demographic would have great conversion, I think. [ever notice the diversification of food choices in the large theaters? VIP? Means they can sell to more of their ticket buyers, even better margins with more $10+ menu items]

If theatres would lower their prices or have free screenings just for the sake of concession sales, they would probably do a lot better.
Its a complicated mess between Hollywood and theaters.
If you go see a movie opening weekend at $10, Hollywood gets about $9 and the theater gets $1.

though events and other types of showings would definitely be a money maker.
If my theater had Walking Dead and Game of Thrones showings I would be there every single week buying loads of concessions.

You guys should have come to the one(s) in Philly. I got tix to the riverview theater on columbus boulevard, which is basically right off the walt whitman if you're coming in from south or central jersey.

We don't let no Jersey Jobbers into our Pristine Philly theaters!

The Riverview is nice but holy shit it's in South Philly so protect your neck, COME ON DOWN JERSEY GUYS

And I would assume the locations are pretty locked down now, guys. You have to remember they can't just go to any movie theater; it needs to have the capability to show the conference. So you're dropping that number down by a significant amount.

But yeah, theaters would kill for this; that's why they do advance/free screenings of stuff, to make bank on the concessions (which they do).

FinKL

I was getting hyped for this, but after thuway's tweets about (paraphrasing) keeping tempered expectations for the sony conference, project beast pretty much being the megaton and there are going to be tons of remasters announced, I'm kinda getting double minded whether I want to go or not. It's about an hour's worth of commute for me.
How often do you get to see video game trailers in 70+feet diagonal screens with nice sound? I think this is a great opportunity to check this out. But I'm literally 10 mins away from a theater lol

Any OKC people have two extra tickets? I want to see Beast Souls on the big screen. I seriously checked right after I saw the news and it was already sold out.

Edit: Need two because I know the wife will want to come.

Kei-

I am on the wait list for the NYC one, I had a chance to reserve 2 tickets, but I wasn't sure an decided I'd leave the tickets for someone who was more certain.

Well suffice to say, I regret that now lol. If anyone has an extra ticket or a friend who cannot show up for some reason, please consider me. I'd greatly appreciate it.

meanspartan

Outside of intrigue for what the freebie might be, I really shouldn't be that hyped for this, but for some reason I am totally stoked for June 9th.

J Range

This is interesting to me because I'm not so sure they would be doing this if they didn't already know they had some good stuff to show. Of course we already know they are probably showing project beat, which is smart because only hardcore fans will go to this and they love the souls series.

Hopefully they have more surprises!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
This is interesting to me because I'm not so sure they would be doing this if they didn't already know they had some good stuff to show.

Either that or it could be a promotion to fit with The Order: 1886's filmic theme. Seeing it on a big screen would be a pretty cool way to be introduced to the game considering that they want to make it be movie-like.

DrZeus

I tried to sign up for the Chicago location while on my phone at work and I thought it went through, but it didn't for some reason. Now the waiting list is even gone lol. :/

I am about 15mins north of the theatre too haha. Would have been perfect, but I'll probably be stuck at work anyway. Congrats to all ChicagoGaF that will be attending! This seems awesome and the extra content goodies make me salty lol.

Lemondish

When MoviePass started, they made a lot of great points about how notoriously inefficient movie theatres are. How many times have you gone to see a movie and discovered that there were only a dozen other people in the auditorium with you? Most of the time not even 20% of seats are sold. If theatres would lower their prices or have free screenings just for the sake of concession sales, they would probably do a lot better.

It's arguably way smarter to fill up a room for free and sell concessions to 200+ people than it is to try and sell tickets to a few dozen people. We have a local theatre here that does free screenings of The Walking Dead for massive crowds, and I imagine those are much better moneymakers than a lot of Hollywood blockbusters.

I have a local theatre near me that does that. Granted, they're more of a restaurant theatre which is likely way easier to cover the costs of a free showing.

meanspartan

Wonder if there is any chance they will open up more theatres at each location and email waitlisted people with tickets.

I got in, but have a friend who signed up maybe just 15 minutes too late. He lives about half an hour away from the location so if he had tickets he would go, but it is understandably too far to drive for only the chance of getting in after waiting in line.

Hopefully if they do open up more screens they email waitlisted people and not just go by who is in line day of.

I doubt they can get anything big anymore though like they used to. I know they tried to get the new Mass Effect but EA said no.

Wow seriously? god damn EA so cold. Can I quote you on that in the 3rd party exclusive thread since me and some other posters were speculating it could be Mass Effect: Contact?

Top Bottom