• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs featuring NVIDIA Technologies trailer

ethomaz

Banned
TXAA is so good. 720p + TXAA manages to be better than 1080p+ FXAA.
Not even close... 720p + TXAA is a blurry mess.

There is no better AA method than resolution increase... even better if you render in 4k and downsample to 1080p, you will never need AA anymore.

Not even close... 720p + FXAA is a blurry mess.

There is no better AA method than resolution increase... even better if you render in 4k and downsample to 1080p, you will never need AA anymore.

I'll admit, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about various AA solutions, but there are things such as shimmering and temporal artifacts which can't be fixed by downsampling. You'll need to use an AA technique like TXAA or SMAA to try to get rid of them. (Downsampling and SMAA is a fantastic combo). Hell, even SSAA or SGSSAA are fantastic techniques which can be used in lieu of downsampling.

riflen

Well, not a lot of people like Origin.

Using Origin for Watch_Dogs is up to the customer. You can choose to buy it on Origin or not. There is also a Steam release and physical media. The game requires the UPlay service though.

e: Sorry, I missed the context of the post.

ethomaz

Banned
I'll admit, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about various AA solutions, but there are things such as shimmering and temporal artifacts which can't be fixed by downsampling. You'll need to use an AA technique like TXAA or SMAA to try to get rid of them. (Downsampling and SMAA is a fantastic combo). Hell, even SSAA or SGSSAA are fantastic techniques which can be used in lieu of downsampling.
Yeap... downsampling + good AA is the best choice.

My point is that a resolution increase add more for overall IQ than AA... AA is goog but it will never make a 720p better than 1080p.

Water

Uploaded the source file for the YT video to our site: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/watch-dogs-pc-trailer
Thanks! Some suggestions though:

When re-releasing material for enthusiasts, please try to request higher quality versions of the footage. The more the better. A lot of your tech has very subtle results on the macro level, and video compression along with low framerates don't allow us to see the difference. For instance, here the source file is 240MB and 30FPS, so we are hardly going to see the impact of TXAA, even though TXAA is one of the two major technologies the video is "selling". Of course 30FPS also means every camera pan on the video stutters noticeably. 60FPS would be good, 120FPS would be awesome. Less compression is better as well. I'm sure the folks here who aren't satisfied with the YT quality would be happy to download much larger files.

And, please post a download link for the actual file, since many will prefer the added control and maybe better quality vs. watching it in the Flash viewer. Here's the direct link for the current video, grabbed from your page source.

MaLDo

When re-releasing material for enthusiasts, please try to request higher quality versions of the footage. The more the better. A lot of your tech has very subtle results on the macro level, and video compression along with low framerates don't allow us to see the difference. For instance, here the source file is 240MB and 30FPS, so we are hardly going to see the impact of TXAA, even though TXAA is one of the two major technologies the video is "selling". Of course 30FPS also means every camera pan on the video stutters noticeably. 60FPS would be good, 120FPS would be awesome. Less compression is better as well. I'm sure the folks here who aren't satisfied with the YT quality would be happy to download much larger files.

And, please post a download link for the actual file, since many will prefer the added control and maybe better quality vs. watching it in the Flash viewer. Here's the direct link for the current video, grabbed from your page source.

Thatsthetruth.gif

I think the new night lighting looks... kinda cheap. Overly contrasty. I did prefer the reveal... but it doesn't matter because I really don't think I'll be getting this one.

Why would you think otherwise?

It is polygonal, has artifacts in the Depth of Field, and even shows the same grazing angle problems that POM has.

Beyond its obvious downsampled nature, its effects present nothing out of left field, especially if you look at games like Crysis or metro....

Wait wait wait. Ubisoft actually uses.... bullshots? Really?

When did they start doing this?

heyf00L

ibrE9yncQ539TW.jpeg

Holy cow those bricks look freaking awful, those textures are really rough to say the least.

Someone needs to tell them the sun doesn't reflect off the ground where there are massive buildings in the way.

ibrE9yncQ539TW.jpeg

Holy cow those bricks look freaking awful, those textures are really rough to say the least.

And you can honestly come to both of those conclusions adequately using that screenshot or snippet of footage?

The remainder of the game appears to have good texturework to me and those bricks just look like... wet brick tiling... I don't think I can totally pass judgement there without seeing the game at a higher image quality.

Someone needs to tell them the sun doesn't reflect off the ground where there are massive buildings in the way.

It does if it is midday sun that is nearly directly overhead.

That said, the game is disappointingly downgraded from the 2012 E3 vertical slice reveal. I guess it doesn't pay to produce very high quality art assets across the board when the vast majority of the audience consuming the game will play it on hardware that is not capable of rendering it with any decent performance.

KORNdoggy

If you include environmental/light reflections (the most obvious reflections in the game), yes...they seem to be misaligned. You can see it in screenshots and gameplay.

I've not looked closely at vehicles or NPCs reflection wise...I just noticed the obvious things at first glance.

I'm not including those though, those are in any game with puddles or wet streets. Watchdogs included. But they don't have the realtime reflections which would really help ground things. Atm, everyone and everything look like they're floating.

R_Deckard

black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-it-brother-84c7bf.jpg

R_Deckard

May I politely ask you to read what's been posted between my quoted and your latest post?
:p

On another note, the GeForce player is shit.
Missed that but you did not post with much ambiguity in it so easily read.

Also download the video from the link, Abit better quality.

Top Bottom