• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

Friend told me about this yesterday and I dug up this link on google prior to the media posting articles: http://www.herdprotect.com/winlogin.exe-e334340af3765aa58c71b34c82df6dacb49d10f7.aspx

Not much history beyond that entry (or I'm looking in the wrong places). Besides, this news is a fair warning to people who blindly download executables and run them without precautions.

That just shows that a mining trojan of that name exist.
I can't find a single comment on the internet that is confirming that there actually is an infested torrent.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is only a rumor. Apparently some people downloaded the torrent from the wrong source.It's all their own fault if they don't know how internet works.
Its not a rumor if it actually happened :) I guess you mean that it is a rumor that Skidrow put it in there, that i agree is false.

So... yeah... Why are people celebrating this? "That'll show those pirates!" No it won't... and there is no justice being done...

This is akin to going "Hah, those drug dealers slipped in some oregano into the pot they sold! That'll teach them!"

Yeah the pirates got "hit", but the publisher/developer still get nothing, and the supplier makes a ton of money off of people's stupidity that still won't go to anyone that worked on the game either.

Phazon

even the pirated version has exclusive content.

Brilliant :D

Someone please photoshop and add it to this list

BneNoCXIIAAJ-nE.jpg

Gestault

done........still curious how it's not ironic lol

that's funny lol

....also, suuuper ironic that my first official post on the gaf is about something pirated, considering i quit that stuff a couple years back lol

It's unclear to others how your posting about "something pirated" and your stopping piracy a couple of years back is ironic. If you make a positive assertion, and someone asks you to explain it, answering "how is it not?" doesn't do anything.

done........still curious how it's not ironic lol

So years back you stopped pirating and now your first comment on GAF (note: not 'the gaf') happens to be a in a thread about piracy; there's nothing ironic about that. Even if you decided to stop pirating 5mins before opening this thread it would be merely a coincidence, nothing ironic about that.

Maybe it would be ironic if you decided an some time ago to download the version because you figured 'hey, at least with this pirated version I don't have unnecessary baggage like Uplay' and then it ends up being the opposite, you get something even worse.

Also, since you're new here, while it isn't required, proper capitalization and punctuation are really appreciated on virtually every forum.

It's unclear to others how your posting about "something pirated" and your stopping piracy a couple of years back is ironic. If you make a positive assertion, and someone asks you to explain it, answering "how is it not?" doesn't do anything.

This, the only way anything in this whole situation would have been ironic is if the person who distributed this pirated copy was using the bitcoin miner so that they could afford to buy Watch_Dogs. That's irony (and likely the only way anyone would be able to afford getting all of the exclusives!)

JayLee

Banned
My money is on the torrent actually originating from Ubisoft so they can make up for the money they've wasted on this game.

prag16

Banned
Hahah, serves these people right. Though I thought the smart ones were using usenet these days now anyway.

number332

Neo Member

alright, fair is fair lol irony might not be what i mean...but i mean, come on lol how long does it take on average to get approved to post on here and i decided to post about a pirated game, of all things lol

but to add to the convo instead of just concentrating on what I said about irony.....i think this is funny because the game isn't even out yet and it's so popular that even just a post about a pirated version is making 'traction' lol

iMax

029cd3e516b194f7a89c3ecba9f1b74a.jpg

Raonak

Banned
hilarious on so many angles.

Wonder if this could give birth to a new payment model, in addition to traditional, F2P and ad driven- where users get the game for free, but it also mines bitcoins when they play.

number332

Neo Member
So years back you stopped pirating and now your first comment on GAF (note: not 'the gaf') happens to be a in a thread about piracy; there's nothing ironic about that. Even if you decided to stop pirating 5mins before opening this thread it would be merely a coincidence, nothing ironic about that.

Maybe it would be ironic if you decided an some time ago to download the version because you figured 'hey, at least with this pirated version I don't have unnecessary baggage like Uplay' and then it ends up being the opposite, you get something even worse.

Also, since you're new here, while it isn't required, proper capitalization and punctuation are really appreciated on virtually every forum.

good point actually, ya I'm terrible with proper capitalization and the use of the word 'ironic' lol

i'm "one of those people" lol

I love how the title says "thousands of computers" and we have a source confirming one.
If it was really that widespread, we would've heard a lot more by now.

So... yeah... Why are people celebrating this? "That'll show those pirates!" No it won't... and there is no justice being done...

This is akin to going "Hah, those drug dealers slipped in some oregano into the pot they sold! That'll teach them!"

Yeah the pirates got "hit", but the publisher/developer still get nothing, and the supplier makes a ton of money off of people's stupidity that still won't go to anyone that worked on the game either.

Wanted to post something to this extent after reading the comments here, but couldn't think of a better way to put it.

culafia

That is pretty damn low. Unless Ubisoft is doing it themselves as some kinda counter-piracy measure (they arent), the guy infecting other people's computers is the biggest scum here.

This would be awesome if true. But I don't really trust 4chan posts. There needs to be more evidence to it.
Eh. I weigh NeoGAF and 4chan posters about equally in that regard. As in, "maybe they're onto something" but take it with a grain of salt until there's conclusive proof.

Marcel

Do people really think that some form of "justice" will be rendered onto internet pirates in 2014? Haha, good luck with that.

The best thing is that some people who downloaded it feel cheated :lol:
If you don't pay for a game (IE: you steal it) you deserve whatever you get.

Edit: Before anyone says that I'm supporting the guy who did it.. I'm not. He deserves nothing from this, but the anguish and annoyance that it is causing pirates is great. They don't pay for the games, I do, I feel like they deserve whatever they get (in a way I would rather someone put something that ruins computers in it to teach them a lesson).

Maybesew

There was a build of AC4 that had this same issue. It happened to a friend of mine. His system was running fine otherwise, but ac4 would only run at single FPS during the initial intro cut scene. Multiple reboots produced the same result. He thought his graphics card might have been the problem, but all the diags showed it looked fine.

Finally he ran his malware software and it found the miner.

Top Bottom