• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

OtaQ

Neo Member
How was the overall hacking element and environment manipulation, since to me it is the thing that really interested me the most on watch dogs.

Does it feel good to use? Does it feel overpowered?

Thanks again.

It feels very good, fricking direct and fast and not really overpowered, because you can die very fast. A few shots from the enemy and you are dead, what I felt to be very good. Some skills you get later can be very strong if you use them in the right situation, but this is actually the best part of Watch Dogs: It felt so good to have always several possibilities to kill or to neutralise the enemies.

Regarding the whole gameplay-dynamics, maybe it´s good to compare this with a mixture of Dishonored, AC, MGS and GTA... which is not the worst mixture you could get as a gamer, if you ask me ;D

So we still have yet to see recent footage of the, by now, almost legendary, PC version.

I don't know, Ubi. Being this coy could backfire. If the PC version doesn't look amazing......

Yup

The Pc version better blow peoples minds.

There is zero reason why it shouldn't atleast hardware wise.

Just ask me something, and I maybe could answer you.

On the other hand, you can find all my impressions in the titlestory of the newest issue of PC Games 04/14. You find it in all countrys with german language or even download it in a digital version via appstore.

Have you seen or know anyone who has seen the Xbox One version? Can you share something on that?

This is absolutely bothering me as it is NEVER mentioned. Either it will be on pair with PS4 or it will be a total mess and not comparable.

Radec

Wait, so the video in the OP is actually PS4 footage? WTF?

So wait the video in the OP is all from a PS4??

Yes and this thread is now hilarious.

Have you seen or know anyone who has seen the Xbox One version? Can you share something on that?

This is absolutely bothering me as it is NEVER mentioned. Either it will be on pair with PS4 or it will be a total mess and not comparable.

It should definitely won't be on par with the PS4 version.

So keep your expectations on check.

R_Deckard

It feels very good, fricking direct and fast and not really overpowered, because you can die very fast. A few shots from the enemy and you are dead, what I felt to be very good. Some skills you get later can be very strong if you use them in the right situation, but this is actually the best part of Watch Dogs: It felt so good to have always several possibilities to kill or to neutralise the enemies.

Regarding the whole gameplay-dynamics, maybe it´s good to compare this with a mixture of Dishonored, AC, MGS and GTA... which is not the worst mixture you could get as a gamer, if you ask me ;D

Great stuff, sounds even better than I thought, the fact it is hard and makes you think and have more than one set path is great.

Thanks alot for the Info and post's much appreciated.

How are the core gameplay mechanics? Movement (walking and running in and out of combat), aiming, cover system, vaulting cover, melee system, gunplay etc.?

MaLDo

Surely there wouldn't be much 'reflection' of the petrol station lights when it's covered and therefore the ground isn't wet

That's not how reflections work. Those gas station lights must be reflected over the wet road (no under station roof). That's because light will bound over asphalt in his path to the camera.

A simple SSR will do that. But the 2012 reveal had a lot of fake effects mixed with the perfect elements combo: (rain+night or sunset with sunshafts+wet floor) + max wind + forced dof + fog + high density of scripted sequences.

So we still have yet to see recent footage of the, by now, almost legendary, PC version.

I don't know, Ubi. Being this coy could backfire. If the PC version doesn't look amazing......

They said a few weeks ago we would see PC footage again. Apparently it has higher resolution effects (lighting effects, rain simulation, depth of field, particles system).

R_Deckard

Hahah. This thread is so full of confusion its hilarious.

I know brilliant, it started with the "PC version is amazing", makes PS4 look poor, Would Melt.

with reactions like

10-chick-fil-a-bowl-clemson-fan-2012-13-bowl-season-gifs.gif

Then this happens and they all turn too..

So wait the video in the OP is all from a PS4??

tumblr_inline_mg4mbsjHfP1ry4qim.gif

Video looked unimpressive from the very start which is why I thought it was weird to be shown as PC exclusive effects and such. Not that the final game will look much better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
that really isn't true. i only upgraded my GPU once in 3 years and the GPU was just a $200 GPU too. It can play battlefield 4 at ultra/ 60FPS/ 1080P.

I had been using my PC for 3.5 years and the only thing i upgraded was the RAM, GPU and sound card which only added up to around $300. that plus the amount you save by steam sales actually makes it cheaper than a console.

you have to pay for subscription for MP on consoles plus you usually change one every 4 years anyway either due to it failing or a upgraded model is released.
Which gpu are you using? I can't hold 60 fps on ultra using a gtx680 so I'd be curious to know which 3 year old $200 gpu can do it so well.

Is it really a locked 60 fps?

stryke

Not being able to match PS4's [insert resolution/fps/whatever advantage here] doesn't automatically mean it will be a total mess.

That's not how reflections work. Those gas station lights must be reflected over the wet road (no under station roof). That's because light will bound over asphalt in his path to the camera.

A simple SSR will do that. But the 2012 reveal had a lot of fake effects mixed with the perfect elements combo: (rain+night or sunset with sunshafts+wet floor) + max wind + forced dof + fog + high density of scripted sequences.

Sorry I didn't realise you were talking about road

sjay1994

The Xbox One version of AC4 was also never shown or mentioned, and a lot of people were worried something was wrong with it.

It ended up just fine. Sony and ubisoft have deals going on, and PS4/Pc are the prominent platforms for watch dogs.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

SaberEdge

You are missing the point. Most of the biggest devs aren't specifically targetting those hardwares. It will be the same as this gen. I have played stuff on PC anyway, and Infamous still impresses me mightily. Despite the hardware gulf, there is no open world game on PC that looks as good. That has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to with devs investing money and effort to specifically target certain specs.

Let's be honest, though, the generation just barely started. There are only a small handful of the first wave of new generation games out. There are open world games right around the corner that I have no doubt will look better than Infamous SS. The PC versions of Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Knight, The Division, Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 will all likely look better than Infamous Second Son.

GHG

Gold Member
Can we start doing this for every new game video now? It's really helpful for outing people.

It would have been even better if this was originally labeled xbone footage.

Salex_

I'm not seeing much discussion about the AI, am I the only one that's impressed by them? The animations and interactions look so natural and there's so many of them. They look pretty detailed as well.

Loving the music in that video.

Just ask me something, and I maybe could answer you.

On the other hand, you can find all my impressions in the titlestory of the newest issue of PC Games 04/14. You find it in all countrys with german language or even download it in a digital version via appstore.

Was hacking more extensive than you expected? Could you use the hacking for some cool emergent moments? How are the side-quests, just chasing criminals? Did it feel improved compared to usual Ubisoft meaningless padding?

Alienous

I'm not seeing much discussion about the AI, am I the only one that's impressed by them? The animations and interactions look so natural and there's so many of them. They look pretty detailed as well.

Loving the music in that video.

Detail-wise they look constantly out of focus to me. It's weird. Sort of muted.

Nzyme32

To put it simply, the PS4 version looks fine to me, and has some good features. Water is tessellated and shadows do exist but are dependant on the lighting situation. Aliasing is noticeable but acceptable.

Still want to see the PC version and understand if the difference will be meaningfully taking advantage of higher spec systems.

I think this thread demonstrates that people are happy enough with it... in the right context apparently

The Xbox One version of AC4 was also never shown or mentioned, and a lot of people were worried something was wrong with it.

It ended up just fine. Sony and ubisoft have deals going on, and PS4/Pc are the prominent platforms for watch dogs.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

I didn't really follow the release of AC4 as the franchise doesn't interest me as much as WatchDogs does. But thanks, it is reassuring. If it's a difference in resolution only it shouldn't matter that much to me (it matters but not as much as physics or eye candy).

plainr_

Which gpu are you using? I can't hold 60 fps on ultra using a gtx680 so I'd be curious to know which 3 year old $200 gpu can do it so well.

Is it really a locked 60 fps?

Right. 660Ti's can't hold 60 FPS and that was a $300+ gpu 2 years ago.

Sentenza

The HELL is going on?

5AkHOdQ.gif
Site mislabeling a video.
People overpraising something that frankly never looked particularly impressive.
A journo swearing he knows an uncomfortable truth about the video that will expose these people.
The Beanie Brigade taking their chance to gloat all over it.

More or less.
On a side note, I'm not even sure why we should even pay any attention about what journalists are assuring us they know about different versions, at this point.
I'm quite sure there was at least half dozen of them ready to swear that the pre-downgrade Dark Souls 2 was "totally running on a PS3 real time and I totally checked the hardware myself".

R_Deckard

that really isn't true. i only upgraded my GPU once in 3 years and the GPU was just a $200 GPU too. It can play battlefield 4 at ultra/ 60FPS/ 1080P.

I had been using my PC for 3.5 years and the only thing i upgraded was the RAM, GPU and sound card which only added up to around $300. that plus the amount you save by steam sales actually makes it cheaper than a console.

you have to pay for subscription for MP on consoles plus you usually change one every 4 years anyway either due to it failing or a upgraded model is released.
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Reese-015

Omg this thread... I was watching the video and didn't find it to be all that impressive at all tbh. Not surprised it's the PS4 version. What the friggin' hell were you guys freaking out about? This looks EXACTLY like the 'downgraded' stuff we've been seeing for a while now. Still a great looking game though.

R_Deckard

Site mislabeling a video.
People overpraising something that frankly never looked particularly impressive.
A journo swearing he knows an uncomfortable truth about the video that will expose these people.
The Beanie Brigade taking their chance to gloat all over it.

More or less.
On a side note, I'm not even sure why we should even pay any attention about what journalists are assuring us they know about different versions, at this point.
I'm quite sure there was at least half dozen of them ready to swear that the pre-downgrade Dark Souls 2 was "totally running on a PS3 real time and I totally checked the hardware myself".
But it was wasn't it in the Beta on Ps3?

Top Bottom