• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

Sirolf

Originally Posted by Kareha

PS4 would probably melt trying to do this.
Originally Posted by Arya Stark

Alright, fuck the PS4 version. Grabbing this on PC.
Too funny now that we know the truth.

No no the very best post is this one !!LOL

Very well you can remain delusional if you choose but we digress.

This thread is about the new Impressive PC watchdogs video and how much nicer it looks than the console versions.

Anyone else glad they finally opened up about the pc version ?

Let's be honest, though, the generation just barely started. There are only a small handful of the first wave of new generation games out. There are open world games right around the corner that I have no doubt will look better than Infamous SS. The PC versions of Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Knight, The Division, Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 will all likely look better than Infamous Second Son.

Not particularly convinced by these ones, but the others ones I definitely expect. Whether there will be huge differences between console versions and PC versions is another matter. The thing is AA is not so much of a problem anymore, as demonstrated by Infamous, so I am interested to see how PC versions will differentiate themselves. I don't think devs will expend anymore energy on differentiating as they did this gen though. Differences will be more substantial 3-4 years from now though as the baseline is raised.

SaberEdge

Dat placebo effect (for both "view points")

Well, considering the majority of people are just bashing the game and downplaying the graphics I don't see why people are acting like it's such a big flip flop. There were only a couple people saying things like "PS4 would melt trying to run this". Some of us were saying it looks really great, but I have been saying that about all the recent footage. I also said that these technical features are present in the console versions as well.

I thought it could be PC footage simply because I don't think the differences are going to be highly noticeable in a low quality video. I also think that Watch Dogs in general is going to be one of those games that you have to see on a HD display to really appreciate all the detail in the world. It isn't one of those kinds of games that is super colorful and contrasty and still looks great in low quality videos. It's the kind of game that goes for a realistic look with lots of subtle detail that is lost unless seeing it in full quality.

sjay1994

I didn't really follow the release of AC4 as the franchise doesn't interest me as much as WatchDogs does. But thanks, it is reassuring. If it's a difference in resolution only it shouldn't matter that much to me (it matters but not as much as physics or eye candy).

Eh, don't worry about it. If a game's version isn't being shown off, its mostly due to corporate dealings than quality.

Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs have PS deals, so PS is typically the console they push when showing their games.

Tom Clancy stuff has xbox deals, so xbox is pushed.

Its the same thing as how COD trailers are followed by an xbox logo, or how Sony and Activision are marketing Destiny.

They want to dominate mind share of multiplat games.

Sentenza

But it was wasn't it in the Beta on Ps3?
No, not anymore ("don't judge guys, it's not final and FROM isn't good with screenshots and videos"), but it was in the previous builds, and it was steady 30 fps with every additional effect activated.
Then suddenly something magic and evil changed in the code and now the game dips on the 20 fps even after a massive downgrade.
It's a scenario I can totally believe.

Ryuuga

Banned
So wait the video in the OP is all from a PS4??

dont even bother, some ppl want to live in their bubble where consoles can hang with PC

137145.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
[UPDATE]

PCGamesHardware has confirmed that what was shown was from the PS4 DevKit and not from the PC version. Naturally that’s not PCGH’s fault as Ubisoft initially claimed that the video was from the PC version.

“This video really is a pain in the ass. Ubisoft told us via e-mail “this is PC footage”. And after we published the video they say “Oops, sorry, this is not PC but PS4 devkit””

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/repor...om-watch_dogs-is-actually-from-the-ps4-build/

Oh Ubi.... You are fucking with us on purpose. :D

edit-
spfxxc.gif

A pcghw.de editor confirmed in their forums that the video was indeed from the PS4 version.

I still think it's weird they chose for water tesselation on PS4 though. It's probably such a small part of the game. And i wonder if anyone would even notice.

DieH@rd

Banned
I still think it's weird they chose for water tesselation on PS4 though. It's probably such a small part of the game. And i wonder if anyone would even notice.

The good thing about tessellation is, if you are away from water, it will not stress the system. If you come closer, water will look great.

And as for its usefulness, I'm sure many will notice that the water is looking much better than on PS3/X360 consoles.

OtaQ

Neo Member
Have you seen or know anyone who has seen the Xbox One version? Can you share something on that?

This is absolutely bothering me as it is NEVER mentioned. Either it will be on pair with PS4 or it will be a total mess and not comparable.

No. Only the PS4-version was playable.

KOHIPEET

Kinda been wondering about that myself too. The rippling effect in previous videos looked much better.

[UPDATE]

PCGamesHardware has confirmed that what was shown was from the PS4 DevKit and not from the PC version. Naturally that’s not PCGH’s fault as Ubisoft initially claimed that the video was from the PC version.

“This video really is a pain in the ass. Ubisoft told us via e-mail “this is PC footage”. And after we published the video they say “Oops, sorry, this is not PC but PS4 devkit””

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/repor...om-watch_dogs-is-actually-from-the-ps4-build/

lol I wonder what they got out of this little experiment.

DieH@rd

Banned
So this means that still after 1.5 years we still dont have any look at PC version of the game [E3 2012 and PSMeeting demo were on PC].

BTW, mods need to change the thread name [again]. Now we have direct confirmation from Ubi/PCGH.

Yes, let's laugh at him because he enjoys something.

Far Cry 3 had its moments but completely falls apart after the first ~30% due to the insane amount of repetition, bad pacing and writing. It's one of the better Ubi open world games, but I don't see how it could be in any top 3 lists. It still surprises me how many people don't mind lacklustre collectathon gameplay. But AssCreed sales show that the formula is still working, so I shouldn't. Sorry to be OT, but I really hope Watch Dogs will be better in this regard. :/

R_Deckard

[UPDATE]

Can you blame them!, and I bet they are laughing there asses off at the expected reaction here and on other forums..brilliant.

Nzyme32

[UPDATE]

Thanks for the explanation. I would like to think ubisoft knew exactly what they were doing when they did this, and the reaction it would cause.

eshwaaz

[UPDATE]

This is amazing. The entire thread is now worth a re-read.

Salex_

Will this guy come back to this thread after this elitist post?
Very well you can remain delusional if you choose but we digress.

This thread is about the new Impressive PC watchdogs video and how much nicer it looks than the console versions.

Anyone else glad they finally opened up about the pc version ?

The good thing about tessellation is, if you are away from water, it will not stress the system. If you come closer, water will look great.

And as for its usefulness, I'm sure many will notice that the water is looking much better than on PS3/X360 consoles.

Yeah don't get me wrong, i love it. And if it's possible, then why not. But it's probably a small part of the game.

Kinda been wondering about that myself too. The rippling effect in previous videos looked much better.

sorry, i'm not sure what you are referring to.. This water looked kinda good imo.

[UPDATE]

Oh the irony....

stryke

It's funny that after the "it was PS4 footage" came to light, DSOgaming then decided to be unimpressed with the video and didn't really care to mention they were "puzzled with its visuals" in their initial article.

TheCloser

Banned
Like I said earlier, the footage looked bad. I can't believe people were saying that this game was good looking. It was looking good at e3 2012 but it looks very poor now. Complete lighting and texture downgrade is so obvious. The art direction looks poor as well. The most painful downgrade is in the loss of atmosphere. No trash blowing on the street, downgraded cloth physics, etc. It just looks unappealing.

SaberEdge

Not particularly convinced by these ones, but the others ones I definitely expect. Whether there will be huge differences between console versions and PC versions is another matter. The thing is AA is not so much of a problem anymore, as demonstrated by Infamous, so I am interested to see how PC versions will differentiate themselves. I don't think devs will expend anymore energy on differentiating as they did this gen though. Differences will be more substantial 3-4 years from now though as the baseline is raised.

Infamous SS might be really clean to a console gamer's eye, but I still notice lots of shader aliasing and I'm not satisfied. I like to use a combination of MSAA and SMAA (or sometimes FXAA depending on the game) or super sample anti-aliasing, TXAA, or downsampling.

Also, just because SMAA works decently well in this game doesn't mean that it will achieve the same results in other games. SMAA works best with highly contrasted edges and Infamous SS is a very colorful game with high contrast so it's essentially a best case scenario. It also uses a lot of motion blur, depth of field, light shafts and other lighting and post process effects that tend to help conceal the aliasing.

I don't agree that devs won't differentiate PC versions as much as last generation. I'm seeing quite the opposite. This is the very beginning of the generation, which is the time when consoles are nearest to high end PCs that they will ever be, but all of the multiplats I have played so far--Battlefield 4, Thief and AC4--all look quite a bit better on my PC than on my PS4. And like I said, this is the very beginning of the generation. The gap is only going to widen over time.

Coolcat_FTW

Neo Member
Hi there,

The mentioned video is offline at the moment. We will re-edit the video and change the labelling to PS4. The labelling as PC footage was not correct, but that's what our Ubisoft rep told us so we believed him.

Thilo Bayer
PC Games Hardware

Hi there,

The mentioned video is offline at the moment. We will re-edit the video and change the labelling to PS4. The labelling as PC footage was not correct, but that's what our Ubisoft rep told us so we believed him.

Thilo Bayer
PC Games Hardware

Danke schön Thilo!

Of course.

The news is actually great news.

I can only imagine now how much better the pc version will look.

Whatever makes you feel better. But if i were you, i'd look into some of your deeper issues. You seem either angry or frustrated.

KOHIPEET

sorry, i'm not sure what you are referring to.. This water looked kinda good imo.

Pazuzu9

Which effect are you referring to?

I'm on mobile so I can't search for a video now, but I think it was E3 2013 when ships left huge ass waves behind themselves. Like they do in GTAV for example. I can't see that in this video now. But I can be wronng though.

Like I said earlier, the footage looked bad. I can't believe people were saying that this game was good looking. It was looking good at e3 2012 but it looks very poor now. Complete lighting and texture downgrade is so obvious. The art direction looks poor as well. The most painful downgrade is in the loss of atmosphere. No trash blowing on the street, downgraded cloth physics, etc. It just looks unappealing.
There has been trash blowing in the street in almost every video.

Kikujiro

I want to thank OtaQ for the plot twist and Ubisoft if they did this on purpose. So many people exposed. Truly internet armchair experts. Master race praising the look of a game running on a poor console just because someone said it was PC footage, despite looking basically the same as the last videos.
They know their shit, they are the master race after all.

I'm still not sure about the gameplay, impressions seem to be good, but the gaming press gave AC3 undeserved high scores, so I have a hard time to trust them.

Top Bottom