• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchDogs on PS4 is Confirmed 1080, X1 version not confirmed

Yeah there is definitely a difference, but its not massive.

That should have been your tag, honestly. "Not a big difference".

Topic-wise, can't say I'm surprised. PS4 should, and will in 90% of the cases, offer the same or better versions of multiplatform games.

After BF4 @ 900p at launch, perfect PS4 1080p streak continues.

Now if only 1080p was what made a game great or not with the reviews. Doesn't tomb raider score higher on X1 with under 1080p?

Lol.. this new generation of everything has to be 1080p. I didn't enjoy one game any less on ps3 or 360 because of reso. Same with this gen. Hell, same with every gen before it.

Lemondish

Now if only 1080p was what made a game great or not with the reviews. Doesn't tomb raider score higher on X1 with under 1080p?

Lol.. this new generation of everything has to be 1080p. I didn't enjoy one game any less on ps3 or 360 because of reso. Same with this gen. Hell, same with every gen before it.

Please don't start this. Threads like this get derailed enough.

Gestault

If a moderate resolution difference is enough to offset the different platform capabilities, that's a sign of good work. I don't think we have enough info to really react to beyond "Yup, the PS4 version will perform and/or look slightly better because it has more powerful hardware."

I remember reading something like this. Tbh, anything at or above 900p is totally fine. See: Ryse

Ryse had a well implemented AA solution, but the solution also made the game blurry/hazy which is definitely noticeable, also the fact that it's framerate tanked fairly often makes me think that it's not so acceptable no matter how pretty it is. This isn't meant to incite anything, but Ryse had plenty of issues.

Avari

Will be interesting to see what the final resolution will be on the Xbox One. There's a strange futility in complaining about people talking about resolution differences n a forum of gaming enthusiast. Alternatively I think there's sometimes a failure to recognize that what's important and obvious as an enthusiast may not be as obvious and important to an 'average' consumer.

Hoo-doo

Banned

One has been rated by 53 critics and the Xbox One version was reviewed by 17.
Yeah, you sure showed us with this revelation.

The games are objectively going to be the exact same games. One simply looks better. That's all there is.

One has been rated by 53 critics and the Xbox One version was reviewed by 17.
Yeah, you sure showed us with this revelation.

The games are objectively going to be the exact same games. One simply looks better. That's all there is.

looks and performs better* FTFY

Kazuma Kiryu and RayMaker, why don't you two give it a rest or take it to PMs. I'd hate for you to get banned over something so silly as arguing about this stuff.

But given the choice, with all else being equal, why wouldn't you want the native resolution of any given game to match the resolution of your TV? It's always going to look better.

I honestly don't notice a big difference between 900p and 1080p. 900p looks a bit "fuzzier" I guess (for lack of a better way for me to put it) but it's not a big deal at all to me.

720p vs. 900p (or 1080p for that matter) is a bigger difference to me. Battlefield 4 on the PS4 looks much better than the Xbox One version (which doesn't look terrible).

Overall, I think all of this is due to me playing 720p games for so long (almost a decade) since I'm not a PC gamer.

This is where my head is at as well...If all XBone games can get to 900p with same IQ as the PS4 version I'll be fine with it.

Kazuma Kiryu and RayMaker, why don't you two give it a rest or take it to PMs. I'd hate for you to get banned over something so silly as arguing about this stuff.

But given the choice, with all else being equal, why wouldn't you want the native resolution of any given game to match the resolution of your TV? It's always going to look better.

Strictly speaking for me...everything else isn't equal. I like the other features of the Xone...voice commands, skype with kinect etc.

Chobel

Resolution impacts gameplay in competitive shooters (FPS, TPS). The higher the resolution, the better you can aim.

Pretty much this. I'm gonna guess 900p on Xbone.

GIVE IT TO ME!

tumblr_myac1vBMFL1shf8zxo1_400.gif

I can't find the post right now, but someone mentioned the X1 version was using the impulse triggers.

Any more info on how they are being utilized?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There will probably come a point in the near future where the resolution difference stops becoming news. I'm not saying that the difference between the consoles isn't important (it fucking is), just that it will get to the stage like last gen where we pretty much knew that the 360 version was slightly more stable but the ps3 had better shadows/less tearing.

Hydrargyrus

It will be very weird if a multiplatform title isn't better on PS4. That's all.

The only thing that could be interesting is how much is better

commedieu

Banned
There will probably come a point in the near future where the resolution difference stops becoming news. I'm not saying that the difference between the consoles isn't important (it fucking is), just that it will get to the stage like last gen where we pretty much knew that the 360 version was slightly more stable but the ps3 had better shadows/less tearing.

That will happen when media actually starts to note the differences. So far, the media has told the gaming world that resolution doesn't matter, etc. Unlike last gen when Media straight up said the PS3 version was gimped due to shadows. Then after that wave, it got monotonous to keep reporting the ps3 version was gimped. System warriors knew it, and we moved on from that bullet point, holding onto exclusives to show the ps3's capabilities.

Haven't really seen the media calling out the Xbone, as it did the PS3's shortcomings. And these differences are huge compared to the zoomed in differences of last gen.

Shin-Ra

Ubisoft released official 945p shots. And why the fuck would they do that if it were pictures of the the ps4 or pc version?

And other than resolution, there aren't any other huge differences between ps4 and xb1 multiplatforms. Might be some slight AA differences aswell.

Ubisofts last AAA release (AC4) was pretty much the same. 1080p on ps4, 900p on xb1 with slightly more frame drops during intense scenes.

I'd like to know what you think the differences will be?
Summary of Digital Foundry's face-off

Assassin's Creed 4

PS4
1920x1080
Higher quality "custom" post-process anti-aliasing
Near-locked 30fps

XBO
1600x900 [+ Microsoft's standard upscaling sharpening filter with black crush]
Post-process AA with less edge coverage and more texture blurring
Close to 30fps but more variable, rare torn frames
Occasional use of lower resolution textures
I think both are supposed to use SMAA but PS4 has more full pixel detail to work with. Maybe they made the edge detection more aggressive on Xbone to compensate, causing some texture blurring.

What?

If you're talking about MetaCritic, there's 53 critic reviews for PS4 (85) and 17 for Xbone (86). It's pretty well known that scores trend downwards with more reviews.

Stop being drama queens. If you care this much, you should get a gaming PC. Then you can sit in your master race throne and laugh at how petty these stupid system wars threads are, like me.

Sweet jesus... Yelling at people for the "console wars" while you preach about your "master race" on the PC. You're just the worst kind of people.

Edit: This whole thread is a mess already.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That will happen when media actually starts to note the differences. So far, the media has told the gaming world that resolution doesn't matter, etc. Unlike last gen when Media straight up said the PS3 version was gimped due to shadows. Then after that wave, it got monotonous to keep reporting the ps3 version was gimped. System warriors knew it, and we moved on from that bullet point, holding onto exclusives to show the ps3's capabilities.

Haven't really seen the media calling out the Xbone, as it did the PS3's shortcomings. And these differences are huge compared to the zoomed in differences of last gen.

I agree, its actually shocking what a big deal was made out of some minor differences between 360 and PS3 (as I recall usually a couple of frames here and there) and yet we are told there's not much difference between XB1 and PS4 when the resolution difference can be upto 30%

I agree, its actually shocking what a big deal was made out of some minor differences between 360 and PS3 (as I recall usually a couple of frames here and there) and yet we are told there's not much difference between XB1 and PS4 when the resolution difference can be upto 30%

It's quite remarkable how small the differences were last gen and how much fuss was made about it, especially compared to the comparatively HUGE differences this time around.

I'm guessing 900p for the Xbone version too.

Spoiler: the X1 version isn't 1080p.

Spoiler: for most people the difference is probably not that significant.

Stop being drama queens. If you care this much, you should get a gaming PC. Then you can sit in your master race throne and laugh at how petty these stupid system wars threads are, like me.

Spoiler: Master race is as played out as Micro$oft and Sony Poinies. Don't write that and EVER expect to be taken seriously in the future.

BibiMaghoo

Its not just résolution. Its about native or no. Upscaling sux

Nobody on this planet has a 900p TV. Monitors yes, although as I understand it they are normally for laptops in that ratio. I don't know if you can get desktop monitors at that res.

Either way, 900p uses much less of a noticeable upscale than 720p. BF4 looks great even upscaled. At 720p it would look considerably more shitty upscaled.

900p is just fine on a 1080p set. Could it be clearer? Yes. By loads? Not really.

Biker19

Banned
Thank god PS4 development isnt held back by xbone. The split and low RAM situtaion with the xbone might lead to always having the way inferior versions of open world games.

I agree. Xbox One is like with PS3 all over again in that department. And the system can't properly handle Native 1080p.

Spoiler: the X1 version isn't 1080p.

Spoiler: for most people the difference is probably not that significant.

I got news flash for you. Not everybody cares about PC gaming.

I agree. Xbox One is like with PS3 all over again in that department. And the system can't properly handle Native 1080p.

I got news flash for you. Not everybody cares about PC gaming.

To be fair maybe the xbox gamers dont care for sony exclusives so they went with the xbox one for those exclusives they prefer.

viveks86

Okay, I was confused because I've seen him post that before in a different thread. I wasn't in the mocking mode!

I'm taking the day off to celebrate this glorious occasion. Ladies and gentlemen, the king has fallen.

Miles, you have my admiration.

Top Bottom