• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching other countries' people eating is hilarious and frustrating

Maybe it is a regional thing? She's from Tokyo.

She lived in Tokyo for a while, but her mom's side is from Hiroshima originally.

Her dad is American, though, so maybe that had something to do with it to. She is also very unique woman lol. Very blunt and crass, loved dark and dirty humor, big gamer and nerd.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What is your reasoning?

Thems the rules. Ketchup is for children.

https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-etiquette

Maybe it is a regional thing? She's from Tokyo.

That is probably likely. Tokyoites are too far too prim and proper. Tho I have never been in a ramen restaurant without everyone slurping, no matter where I have been in Japan. My ex was from the Nagoya area. It is a lot closer to Kansai/Osaka down there, so the food is better and people are more laid back.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I do not recognize the authority of "The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council"

If it's good enough for a burger, it's good enough for a hot dog.

Go to any of the big hot dog cities. If you ask for Ketchup say, in Chicago or New York, they might spit on your dog.

Nymphae

Banned
Go to any of the big hot dog cities. If you ask for Ketchup say, in Chicago or New York, they might spit on your dog.

I don't understand food elitism like this at all. It's like the Trump ketchup on steak thing, no idea why people had to take a stance on that lol. If you think it tastes good, it does, end of story.

Nymphae

Banned
Thems the rules.

But again, what exactly is the reasoning? I'm just hearing "that's the way those people do it"

US-based National Hot Dog & Sausage Council...found mustard to be the most popular, preferred by 32% of respondents; 23% favored ketchup; 17% chili con carne; 9% pickle relish, and 7% onions. Other toppings include sauerkraut, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and chili peppers.

Condiment preferences vary across the U.S.. Southerners showed the strongest preference for chili, while Midwesterners showed the greatest affinity for ketchup.

The history of the dish may begin with the creation of the sausage, with the placing of the sausage on bread or a bun as finger food, with the popularization of the existing dish, or with the application of the name "hot dog" to a sausage and bun combination most commonly used with ketchup or mustard and sometimes relish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

It just sounds like a regional preference. That apparently some people care so much about they will spit into your food at the mere mention of.

Last edited:

nocsi

I don't think it goes that far. Hot Dogs fit into the category of 'don't give a shit' and people can put whatever they want on them. Also keep in mind that there's a whole generation of people that grew up on public school lunches where hot dogs were only accompanied with shitty mustard and ketchup.

In Seattle, we do jalapenos and cream cheese.

Orpheum

I was at an Italian restaurant with my GF recently and the guy next to us put a whole bunch of ketchup on his pizza, rolled it up and ate it like a burrito xD

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Can't speak for China, but for Japan that is a horribly wrong rumor. Don't do it, and the people that due are considered slobs that were raised poorly, kind of like chewing with your mouth open. The only exception is Soba, but even then that's going away. Source: My Japanese wife.

From what I understand is it is optional, but honestly I've never seen a Japanese person eat sushi with fingers, including above mentioned wife and her side of the family and her friends. That being said, while I was living in Japan I went to social gatherings where sushi was finger food, but that's the only exception I've known.

Your wife is Japanese?

Awesome!! I admire the Japanese people

Top Bottom