• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Pulp Fiction...in chronologically correct order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody knows Pulp Fiction. It's a great piece of cinematic history from 1994 directed by Quentin Tarantino. It's about foot massages, the metric system, speaking English in What, biblical missquotations and shooting Marvin in the face. Also the word "fuck".
Everybody who watched it would probably watch it the way it was: In anti-chronological order, as intended by Tarantino.

Now, a few months ago I took the opportunity to answer myself a question that was on my mind ever since I watched this movie for the first time:
What kind of experience is it to watch all the chapters (and some specific scenes) in their chronologically correct order?

So I took out my DVD, ripped the film and put all the scenes in their chronologically correct order (which already took me some time).

Since my completion of my "Chronological Cut" project some time has gone by as I was a bit fed up watching these scenes over and over again.

Today I read on some site that some time ago somebody put a similar chronologically correct cut of Pulp Fiction on YouTube (it has since been taken down, of course) and that reminded me of this project of mine. So for the first time ever since I finished this cut I watched it (and still watch it as I write this).

And it's kind of strange. I expected my reaction to be kind of like "Meh, it's Pulp Fiction, putting it in chronologically correct order doesn't make it even more awesome than it already is."
And for the most part this is my reaction watching it right now. Yet I also think that it's an entirely new experience for everyone who watched the original cut at least once or twice.
It's fun to watch it "correctly", although it doesn't tell a new story, of course. It just tells the story in a different order, which is pretty interesting in itself. Then again I'm a big movie enthusiast and enjoy looking at things from a different perspective.

Still, I recommend doing it, if you got the necessary tools and skills to do so (it took me long enough because I had no video cutting skills at all).
As I said, it's an interesting experience watching Pulp Fiction in a chronologically correct order, although it's nothing really new. Just an interesting take on an interesting film and an interesting experience I wanted to share with you, GAF.

That is all.

EDIT: BTW, you still won't know what the fuck is in that damn briefcase.

I'm sure this has been done before, yet honestly it's something that has never crossed my mind.

I may look into this myself.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's my favorite movie ever and I've never thought of watching it that way. It might be cool to watch it that way. Interesting.

You should check out the official chronological re-edits of THE GODFATHER films.
I've never been that much into Godfather. I watched the first movie once, that's about it.

I want to reap the rewards of your time investment
Well, then you better start learning to rip movies from DVDs and how to use cutting programs. ;)
It only took me so long (from around mid-April to end of July, with big breaks inbetween) because I knew nothing about either.

I took the chronological order from the Wikipedia article and it works pretty good. But I can see some people not wanting to watch Christopher Walken talking about putting watches deep in his ass in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Memento had chronological order as an easter egg on the DVD. I imagine it is also on the blue.

Time is more important to this story, and the movie is much worse for watching it in chronological order.

I am curious to see what effect this has on Pulp Fiction. It doesn't hinge on the time element, but it is interesting, and makes you keep it in mind. I think it has more of an effect on a first time watcher, when things are inconsistent until you figure out the timeline.

I am curious to see what effect this has on Pulp Fiction. It doesn't hinge on the time element, but it is interesting, and makes you keep it in mind. I think it has more of an effect on a first time watcher, when things are inconsistent until you figure out the timeline.

Yeah, I can see that. Since I have seen Pulp Fiction in its original cut at least 10 times already my chronological cut doesn't leave that much of an impact on me. It's still interesting to watch. I seriously like to see the face of a first timer watching this new cut, though.

What I find interesting is that in the order the film presents, the first and last parts of the movie are tied together. In the "corrected" timeline, the first and last parts are still tied together but of a different story arc.

I wonder if that is intentional.

What I find interesting is that in the order the film presents, the first and last parts of the movie are tied together. In the "corrected" timeline, the first and last parts are still tied together but of a different story arc.

I wonder if that is intentional.

Huh, I never really noticed that for some weird reason. Really interesting though. Nice find :)

Grinchy

Banned
Do Memento next.

I just watched Pulp Fiction recently (got the $4 blu ray deal) and seeing it in chronological order sounds strangely intriguing.

Jme

I did this in 1996 with 2 VCRs and a notepad for "timestamps" of scenes etc.
It took FOREVER.

But, ultimately, watching it in "order" was more of a novelty than anything else. It didn't make the film any stronger/weaker really. But then again, I was facing the same issue as you, in that I had been so saturated with the film due to the editing process it's not a fair assessment. Would be best to gauge the opinion of someone who has only seen the normal cut and the 'chronological cut' one time each.

I did this to Memento. The original DVD release didn't have the Easter Egg so I put the chrono copy onto VHS. What a pain in the ass. Very interesting at the time, though. Really changes the Carrie Anne Moss character.

Ecotic

Pulp Fiction is really best when watched in the non-chronological order. The movie was designed to make your mind wonder what happened to characters in the preceding time that we didn't see them. For example, Butch finds Vincent in his apartment, and he finds Marsellus on the street. Why wasn't Jules with Vincent in the apartment?

Because you wonder this, when the last part of the film happens, the part after Jules and Vincent shoot the guy eating hamburgers, we see a guy in the bathroom. For a few minutes we wonder if this guy will end up shooting Jules.

Things like that, when not played in chronological order, create suspense and make us try and figure things out.

I did this to Memento. The original DVD release didn't have the Easter Egg so I put the chrono copy onto VHS. What a pain in the ass. Very interesting at the time, though. Really changes the Carrie Anne Moss character.

I actually don't think Memento would benefit from being watched in chronologically correct order.
I mean, Pulp Fiction didn't benefit from it, although it didn't make the movie worse either.

But Memento...I don't know.

Kapura

Banned
What would there be to be gained by watching it chronologically? Jules' epiphany and the robbery are the climax of the film, not going medieval on some motherfuckers.

Zaptruder

Banned
OP: Hey guys, I did this thing that I thought would be interesting, that took a lot of time, but wasn't really that interesting... but I thought you guys should know about it anyway, because it was kinda interesting... but not really. But you should try it and find out if its interesting enough to spend the same kind of effort I did to see if it was interesting enough.

OP: Hey guys, I did this thing that I thought would be interesting, that took a lot of time, but wasn't really that interesting... but I thought you guys should know about it anyway, because it was kinda interesting... but not really. But you should try it and find out if its interesting enough to spend the same kind of effort I did to see if it was interesting enough.

Yeah, I know, right? :)
I mean, like, totally!

Drkirby said:
The briefcase has a Diamonds and an Orange Lightbulb in it, if you really care.
I meant in-universe, of course.

I've never been that much into Godfather. I watched the first movie once, that's about it.

Well, then you better start learning to rip movies from DVDs and how to use cutting programs. ;)
It only took me so long (from around mid-April to end of July, with big breaks inbetween) because I knew nothing about either..

I am very good at editing, but don't care that much.

Chichikov

I can't imagine this being a good idea.
It fucking ruined The Godfather, which is a slightly better film than Pulp Fiction.

You should check out the official chronological re-edits of THE GODFATHER films.
Oh hell no.
No one should.
Much like Godfather III, those have never ever happened.

Edit: I guess maybe they can be watched as a cautionary tell about how editing can ruin a movie

EDIT: BTW, you still won't know what the fuck is in that damn briefcase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

Part 2 is superior.
Agreed.
But that's should hardly seem a knock against the original, as part 2 is as good of a movie ever made.

I watched the chronological edit earlier today and it actually worked pretty well besides lacking the psychological effect watching out of order has and a couple of transitions being slightly jarring.

I think one scene that should've stayed out of order is the flashback with Christopher Walken, because without it Butch waking up suddenly doesn't make much sense without anything to wake up from and it can be argued that him thinking about that moment could be considered part of the present time.

For years before I actually watched the movie in its entirity, I always used to see bits on TV. 15 minutes here, half and hour there, never the right parts at the right time. I always used to joke that I was the only person alive who actually watched it in order.

Apparently not.

I watched the chronological order Pulp Fiction on youtube this weekend because of this thread. Ya, it's still an enjoyable movie.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Godfather in order but not willing to shell out for it and it doesn't seem to be on Netflix or youtube. Seems to be only on vhs, laserdisc or PAL dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom