• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Tony Hawk speedruns makes it look like a rhythm based game instead.

JordanN

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I grew up with the original Tony Hawk games and mostly played them for fun.

But recently, I came across speedruns of the first 4, as well as later released titles, and man, it makes them look like a completely new genre.

And I don't say this as a bad thing. I'm actually impressed why doesn't this actually become its own professional esport?

The type of gameplay for this is perfect, coupled with the satisfaction of landing so many tricks without making a mistake.

Last edited:
The game design in those early ones are so good, like the fact even playing them today they feel responsive, and extremely satisfying is a testament to how good they are. Skate is good I love skate but Tony Hawk was always more of a “game”, one you could pour endless hours (even in small areas) practicing those ridiculously satisfying combos and trying to reach seemingly impossible to reach areas. So many controllers went out the window though playing those games. Man I hope the remaster is good and maybe we will see a new Tony Hawk game that is actually good.

One of the best things about Tony Hawk 2 was the longevity offered by improving to the point where the game stopped being about skill limitations and became more of a puzzle game. Where do I have to go to start a combo with a vert ramp, land on a rail, manual to more rails and kickers, and finally end the combo with another vert ramp. Once you got good enough to finish a run without bailing, there was a much deeper strategy aspect to finding ways to beat your high score.

Sadly, the remake will never offer that experience. The revert is being added to the game, along with a lot of other advanced movements that killed the strategy element in the games that followed. The remake is still a day one purchase for me, and I do feel the revert is an understandable addition, but the game really was never the same after THPS2.

At the same time, the games after THPS2 were still a lot of fun, and part of me is really looking forward to the endless combo opportunities that the remake will offer in these classic levels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom