• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchmen (HBO) Teasers

I binge watched all 3 seasons in about a week. Season 1 can be hit or miss for some people, but Season 2 was brilliant television to me. Season 3 had earned me enough good will to stick through to what I thought was a very serviceable series finale. The acting from Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon were otherwordly, and the soundtrack from Max Richter is hauntingly beautiful.

I think Lindelof has learned and grown from Lost and the Leftovers, so I'm definitely willing to give him a chance on this.
God no. The third season basically... you know what, I'm going to just put it simply. Carrie Coon's nude scene is literally the only redeeming factor of the third season. I don't want to go into spoiler territory, but that ending was bullshit.

Azurro

Banned
The only thing appealing about that trailer is Jeremy Irons. No character from the original movie/comic seems to return, some of the visuals look goofy (those police officers in yellow masks look hilarious), and the protagonist is a generic angry black woman who gonna take no shit froh eione. Pass.

Last edited:

Strider311

I’ll watch it but I’m not too optimistic... It appears to have next to nothing to do with the original story, either comic or film. What it looks like to me, (and I hope I’m wrong), is some sort of leftist fantasy about an evil right-wing militia that was inspired by Rorschach/his journal, but somehow it hopes to tie in a completely bogus “racist conservative” narrative the left loves to peddle.

God I hope I’m wrong, because I love Watchmen and would love to see more of that universe.

Last edited:
I have no faith in anything written by Lindelof, so I was intentionally ignoring everything related to the show.

But I happened to catch a few of these teasers while waiting for GoT last night and.. what the fuck is this shit? I admit it's been over a decade since I've read Watchmen but this just looks like Lindelof fan fiction, and anyone who has seen Prometheus should know to abandon ship when it comes to Lindelof adding to established mythos.

Seriously though, this show is embarrassing. The only thing I liked was that one-minute scene that acknowledges that the comic's ending is canon, and not the movie.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I love the graphical novel, and I enjoy the movie, have watched it multiple times.

I don't have high hopes for the show. I will wait until the full season is out before I try it.

I’m about to watch it. Hard for me to believe it’s THAT bad but my expectations are super low
Production-wise it's not bad. The acting is fine and the direction is serviceable. The main issue is the script. There are some interesting bits like the squid stuff and Jeremy Irons as Veidt but, again, I think the word to describe the first episode is embarrassing.
Granted, this is only the first episode, but it seems to be little more than White Guilt: The TV Show, and as someone who is not white (or black, for that matter), it's really not something I find to be compelling television, or an acceptable follow-up to one of the best comic books of all time. It's just embarrassing self-flagellating bullshit from Lindelof.

Larogue

Give it time, let things unwind.
The big reviewers watched 6 episodes upfront.... and all of them liked it so far.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
So far reviews looks like a hot steaming pile of sjw bullshit. White supremacy etc.. Not sure, Ill wait for commoners reviews.

Malakhov

Banned
Once again the leftist reviewers clash with us commoners on RT lol

B5YgDYz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the show for you if you're a race-obsessed ideologue who thinks that repeating narratives is both engaging and intellectual.

It also seems a though a great, great shame that one of the most intelligent, innovative, deeply nuanced, human, break-out examples of any medium is going to be sullied with this try-hard garbage.

This bullshit deserves to sink under it's own weight of self-righteous folly. It's practically criminal that it should risk taking down a modern classic with it.

And here's what these pathetic drum-beating-but-tone-deaf fuck-nuggets can't get through their brains, even when it's right in front of them:
We're not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with us.

Last edited:

Strider311

Why are they saying it's SJW?
Just because a black woman is there lead?
No. This is not something people have a problem with. It’s that the plot seems to center around a continually spread false narrative that to be conservative is to be inherently racist. Instead of a follow up to one of the best stories in entertainment, they have sullied it and used it as a vehicle to push their white guilt agenda.

Why this narrative needed to be told again, and even worse, by using Watchmen as your backdrop, I have no clue.

Cato

Banned
Why are they saying it's SJW?
Just because a black woman is there lead?

It is not really SJW or non-SJW anymore. At least I don't think it is.

It is more that for whatever reason now the main critics have become diametrically opposite to what normal people think about a movie. Maybe it is a way for them to show how unique snowflakes they are ? we love movies you don't understand and we hate movies that normal people enjoy, because we are different/ unique/ and better?
Maybe it is as simple as "If I trash great movies or praise garbage movies it get clicks?"

If I see a movie/tv-show get super high reviews, I stay away from it.
If I see a movie/tv-show that gets super bad reviews, it is day-one viewing for me.

It works super well. You should try these two simple rules.

sol_bad

Felt the urge to check out the first episode and enjoyed it. Sure, it's very different to the original comic/movie but I like what they have created here. Interesting idea that Rorschach inspired the wrong type of people.

The writing is good and the characters have me intrigued. I'll keep watch for now and see where it goes.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Is the Blue Gary Stu in this?

If you want trash Watchmen content that's good just read Doomsday Clock, shit had me crying when The Comedian got brought back and shoots The Riddler in the knee cap.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched it and didn't think it was very SJW. At least not enough for me to notice without overly looking for it. I thought it was ok. Nothing amazing, but interesting enough to keep going for now.

Cleared_Hot

I watched it and didn't think it was very SJW. At least not enough for me to notice without overly looking for it. I thought it was ok. Nothing amazing, but interesting enough to keep going for now.
I guess the strong female black lead beating up and killing white supremacists was too subtle for you. I enjoyed it for what it's worth but the racial stuff was overboard

AfricanKing

No. This is not something people have a problem with. It’s that the plot seems to center around a continually spread false narrative that to be conservative is to be inherently racist. Instead of a follow up to one of the best stories in entertainment, they have sullied it and used it as a vehicle to push their white guilt agenda.

Why this narrative needed to be told again, and even worse, by using Watchmen as your backdrop, I have no clue.

The 7th Cavalry are a small part of the TV show at the end of EP one it's very clear that there are bigger fish to fry in this Watchmen Universe

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I guess the strong female black lead beating up and killing white supremacists was too subtle for you. I enjoyed it for what it's worth but the racial stuff was overboard

A plot about white supremacy is not "SJW" though per se, there have been a lot of movies and shows about white supremacy. As long as it doesn't get super preachy about illogical far left nonsense, then I don't have a problem, and it didn't to me on first viewing. It's just a plot element.

A plot about white supremacy is not "SJW" though per se, there have been a lot of movies and shows about white supremacy. As long as it doesn't get super preachy about illogical far left nonsense, then I don't have a problem, and it didn't to me on first viewing. It's just a plot element.
Yeah, but it's poorly done in Watchmen. Using Rorschach as a beacon for white nationalism just absolutely butchers the source material. If ANYTHING, Rorschach was the only decent human being in the Watchmen as was a sort of moral center that everyone was compared to.

I'll say I didn't hate it, but it's gonna have to do a lot and fast to make me care past another episode. It doesn't really follow it's source material at all and seems more like they are using the Watchmen as a platform to push whatever political agenda they have.

Top Bottom