• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WatchMojo] The 20 most disappointing games of the decade (including Mighty No. 9, Death Stranding and Fallout 76)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Watch mojo?

Really OP?
RLY?
L
Y
?

TacosNSalsa

Can someone post a list for us at work?

20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
18) The Order: 1886
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
15) Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
9) Metroid: Other M
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
6) Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
3) Star Wars Battlefront II
2) Aliens Colonial Marines
1) Duke Nukem Forever

20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
1) Duke Nukem Forever

Cant disagree with most of the list lol

Codes 208

20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
1) Duke Nukem Forever
I cant even fight that list. I mean BF2 is better now but that doesnt excuse its faults. (Though you could argue the same for halo mcc which was that much more of a disappointment at launch.)

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale could have been great if they made it actually play like Super Smash Bros., featured a more PlayStation-centric character roster, and designed a better looking menu.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale could have been great if they made it actually play like Super Smash Bros., featured a more PlayStation-centric character roster, and designed a better looking menu.
I can't be possibly good.
As the only thing that could ever be as cool as smash is a weeb version

SLB1904

Banned
Lol the dislikes. Ha ha ha ffs. Everyone wants that piece of death stranding and they dont give any ecplanation why it was a disappoint" 40 hours walking simulator" jesus fucking christ

SLB1904

Banned
Gears of war judgment and god of ascension are literally one of the most disappointed games of the decade but nah that wont get clicks

waylo

Banned
"Disappointing" would indicate that, in general, most were hyped for a game but it wasnt good. A lot of these games I don't think anyone was hyped for and could read the writing on the wall. Anthem, Duke Nukem, Crackdown, Fallout 76. All of those were so clearly going to be trash.

Saber

Gold Member
Oh, its one of those cases where a smartass pretends to create a list of dissapointing games just to include Death Strading on it to incite rages.

He should at least pretend to have tried to make a list. I mean, how can someone be dissapointed on something that it never actually showed any kind of expectation?

MHubert

Some of those games, like; Death Stranding, fallout 76, Shenmue III and No Man's Sky, are clearly not dissapointing to a lot of people. And as another poster said, no one expected Duke Nukem Forever to be good.
Disappointing list.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Death Stranding is either winning awards or completely disappointing.

This is very funny.

Geki-D

Banned
20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
1) Duke Nukem Forever
It's actually a good list for the most part...
...Besides Death Stranding. It's clear they put that on there for the argument clicks. Saying DS is disappointing is just playing into the hands of people who never played the game and hated it from the moment it was announced no matter how the final product turned out. If anything after MGSV, DS largely exceeded my expectations and clearly achieves everything it set out to do.

Mass Effect 3 is on here, presumably because of the ending debacle, but other than that, it was a great game. Where's Andromeda?

I don't think Death Stranding or The Order should be on here either.

Other than that, a pretty good list.
Agreed. I liked ME3, aside from the controversial ending. The gunplay, the soundtrack, characters, the universe, etc, were all very good.

On the other hand, Mass Effect Andromeda was a complete dumpster fire. That game made me hate EA. I don't think I'll ever buy another game published by them.

Bkdk

Pretty decent list overall, glad they include death stranding despite so many critics giving them GOTY. Just the worst open world AAA I’ve ever played. Life is strange 2 should be there at 20. Atrocious story, childish writing and the way they handle characters is an absolute joke.

Virex

Banned
I wouldn't watch anything from watch mojo even if I get paid. Watch mojo is utter shit. How far have we fallen that watch mojo seems like a good reason to create a thread for.

Actually an OK list, with Death Stranding the only discussable pick. And even those who like it can't deny that there are a lot who are dissapointed with the game.

stranno

Nobody expected anything good from most of those games, to begin with. Especially from Crackdown 3 (since Crackdown 2 was one of the worst sequels of all time), Shenmue III, Mighty No. 9, Fallout 76..

Enjay

Banned
Solid list there tbh.

"Games need more than just a developer's name." Pay attention Kojima.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

lol at death stranding
has a triple a game ever had this reception? people either HATE IT with pure passion. But I mean.. ALOT of passion. holy fuck I watched giant bomb podcast I think? And some dude kept ranting how much he fucking hates it and nobody should like it.

And then you have the pure opposite of people for who the game lasted a deep impact and it was a unique amazing experience

I stil think a lot of people cant seem to be able to judge death stranding based on the game it is. For what it is trying to do it does so briliantly. Its not trying to be a heavy action packed game. I just dont get why people are so dissapointed lol.

You dont go play minecraft expecting to play an awesome fighting game and then be dissapointed

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
1) Duke Nukem Forever

Only game I can semi disagree with is The Order. I enjoyed it but still was disappointed in how short it was and how it ended.

Dead island, Crackdown 3 and The order shouldn't be on that list. Dead island was fun, Crackdown was just poor and The Order was just short.

None of them were a disappointment

Nydus

Dead island, Crackdown 3 and The order shouldn't be on that list. Dead island was fun, Crackdown was just poor and The Order was just short.

None of them were a disappointment
Yeah what's with the dead island hate? The game was a blast, especially in coop. Still waiting for the the sequel. And since I don't like the gameplayloop of dying light I welcome the brain-dead headsmashing of the undead :D

Yeah what's with the dead island hate? The game was a blast, especially in coop. Still waiting for the the sequel. And since I don't like the gameplayloop of dying light I welcome the brain-dead headsmashing of the undead :D

Twating bikini clad zombie bitches over the head with ores and planks of wood never gets old.

Agreed, I had a lot of fun with Dead Island.

Terenty

lol at death stranding
has a triple a game ever had this reception? people either HATE IT with pure passion. But I mean.. ALOT of passion. holy fuck I watched giant bomb podcast I think? And some dude kept ranting how much he fucking hates it and nobody should like it.

And then you have the pure opposite of people for who the game lasted a deep impact and it was a unique amazing experience

I stil think a lot of people cant seem to be able to judge death stranding based on the game it is. For what it is trying to do it does so briliantly. Its not trying to be a heavy action packed game. I just dont get why people are so dissapointed lol.

You dont go play minecraft expecting to play an awesome fighting game and then be dissapointed

Its a kind of meme at this point. Death Sttanding is a walking simulator. People who hate the game haven't played it or played 2 hours or smth. If a person shits on it chances are they never played it. There's objectively nothing in the game that warrants such disdain towards it

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Half of that list can be taken off simply due to unacceptable levels of expectation and overly hyped by gamers themselves. They built them up so high there is no way it could match their expectations. Even Duke nukem didn't deserve its hate, it was just a really really mediocre shooter with some fucking terrible driving segments.

Some though like ass effect 3, anthem, resident evil 6, and fallout 76 really are just garbage at their core.

Its a kind of meme at this point. Death Sttanding is a walking simulator. People who hate the game haven't played it or played 2 hours or smth. If a person shits on it chances are they never played it. There's objectively nothing in the game that warrants such disdain towards it

I'm on like chapter 10 I think. I like the game but yeah the actual gameplay is a bit tedious. But I still enjoy it for the fact it's different. The world is interesting, the story while a bit nonsensical sometimes is still unique, and I like its weirdness and willingness to be different. I really enjoy seeing a AAA game come out that isnt trying to be like all the other AAA games and trying to check all the boxes that will lead to huge sales and appeal to everyone. I'd much rather see a big budget game that does it's own thing than one trying to be other games.

But most of the people you speak of are contrarians. They want to hate it purely because its popular. They detest that other people like it. Some deep seeded need to shit on what's popular.

Enjay

Banned
Half of that list can be taken off simply due to unacceptable levels of expectation and overly hyped by gamers themselves. They built them up so high there is no way it could match their expectations. Even Duke nukem didn't deserve its hate, it was just a really really mediocre shooter with some fucking terrible driving segments.

Some though like ass effect 3, anthem, resident evil 6, and fallout 76 really are just garbage at their core.

I'm on like chapter 10 I think. I like the game but yeah the actual gameplay is a bit tedious. But I still enjoy it for the fact it's different. The world is interesting, the story while a bit nonsensical sometimes is still unique, and I like its weirdness and willingness to be different. I really enjoy seeing a AAA game come out that isnt trying to be like all the other AAA games and trying to check all the boxes that will lead to huge sales and appeal to everyone. I'd much rather see a big budget game that does it's own thing than one trying to be other games.

But most of the people you speak of are contrarians. They want to hate it purely because its popular. They detest that other people like it. Some deep seeded need to shit on what's popular.
I was indifferent to it until there a few hundred threads made about it and kojima, now I'm hoping it bombed.

JLB

Banned
20) Dead Island
19) Crackdown 3
17) Shenmue III
16) No Man's Sky
14) Death Stranding
13) Mighty No. 9
12) Star Fox Zero
11) Resident Evil 6
10) Mass Effect 3
8) SimCity
7) Final Fantasy XIII
5) Anthem
4) Fallout 76
1) Duke Nukem Forever

seems like a fair list. sim city was a fantastic game, but other than that...

Top Bottom