• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ways to boost metabolism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumanoki

My diet is off the ground, and I'm feeling great. I've got an exercise routine, albeit a little easy during the cold winter months. But are there any ways to help boost my metabolism? It's slow as hell.

kumanoki

Tre said:
Have you tried eating many small meals throughout the day?

It's possible for me to do that, but I don't. Right now, I'm still working on eating smaller portions during my three squares. I've cut my caloric intake quite a bit, and I'm still in that wonderful grace period before the shock sets in. After two weeks, I plan to introduce healthy snacks back into my diet.

Also: I've been drinking water like crazy. I have this liter bottle at work, and I fill it up at least twice a day. My question is, is there a point where I won't be pissing every fifteen minutes?

keiichi

Tre said:
Have you tried eating many small meals throughout the day?
This man speaks the truth. Not sure if you should eat smaller portions or not, I think it's best to eat a good size portion, but multiple meals a day.

Like, eatin breakfast, a few hours later eat some fruit, shake, or bar, then lunch, then another snack and fainlly dinner. Space your meals about 2~3 hours apart. Try that and see how that works for you.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nah man that pissing thing never goes away. Ithink it means you are drinking slightly too much water.

i have no evidence to back this up, but once I got in better shape, I think my metablolism speed up a bit, I don't put on weight like I used to now.

kumanoki

keiichi said:
This man speaks the truth. Not sure if you should eat smaller portions or not, I think it's best to eat a good size portion, but multiple meals a day.

Like, eatin breakfast, a few hours later eat some fruit, shake, or bar, then lunch, then another snack and fainlly dinner. Space your meals about 2~3 hours apart. Try that and see how that works for you.
This is good. By smaller portions, I mean one plate of food instead of two. No seconds. I always eat until I'm full, and that's not a healthy practice, so I'm seeing how I feel when I eat less and wait. Usually I feel better after a meal when I back off the seconds.

beerbelly

Banned
Since you already have an exercise routine my only suggestion is to just work harder on it. The harder you work, the faster your metabolic rate. :\

AntoneM

as said above but this time with emphasis, the best way to boost metabolism is to exercise. So just keep at it.

Especially exercising in the morning. Followed by a high fibre, low fat n' sugar breakfast.

Hope you're not over-doing the exercise to begin with. I have a friend who would watch Rocky every couple of months, get all inspired by the exercise/music montage and then go out and kill himself jogging the next day. Needless to say, he never lasted more than a week before he injuring himself. :lol

Slowly work you're way up with the exercise. The old saying of walk before you run is definitely correct. But, yeah, if you can keep it up than you'll be laughing. Exercise is the most important aspect of living a healthier lifestyle.

Smaller meals more often is also good. And drinking water is great - pissing every five minutes is actually ridding your body of toxins.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up, and don't be impatient about seeing results straight away.

kumanoki

Cool, cool. My exercise routine right now consists of kyudo practice three days a week, but my kyudo partner and I are considering throwing in a weekend day, as well. Lately it's been bitterly cold in Japan, so riding my bike to the kyudojo is out of the question. When it gets a little warmer, it's on.

Here is a pretty recent picture of me. I hold my weight well, but you can still see the belly. I'm sure you can tell from the picture (or any of the other ones, if you browse) that I'm not a small guy. I'll never be a small guy. That's not what I'm aiming for. I'm big, but I want to be big and healthy, not big and chubby.

Here's a small, quick summary:

-drink lots of water
-small frequent meals
-take coffein/ephedrine stack to increase body temperature
-exercise in the morning before breakfast (with empty stomach)
-gain muscle

worked for me, lost 18kg in 8 months. Aerobic exercise (40-60mins) in the morning before breakfast was the thing that really helped me.

Interlude

An unusual method...

I saw a Japanese program a few years ago. An obesed lady went through a program where she had to eat a lot but the food she ate were all spicy. She continued this program for a month. They even used x-ray to show parts of her body which were "burning red hot" when she ate those stuff.

She did zero exercise and 1 month later, she lost around 5kg.

But like what the other people said, eat more smaller meals per day. And exercise hard, not long. You need to ensure that your heart pumping rate is fast when you exercise.

demi

injection.jpg

Mmmmmm

ChryZ

Clinical trials conducted by the University of Geneva, in Switzerland indicate that green tea appears to raise metabolic rates and speed up fat oxidation. Apparently in addition to caffeine, green tea contains catechin polyphenols that raise thermogenesis (the rate at which calories are being burned) and hence overall energy expenditure.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the only guaranteed ways are really to eat more smaller portioned meals during the day (easier for your body to convert to energy) and increase muscle mass (the entire point of metabolism is to provide your muscles energy. the more muscles you have the more energy your body needs to provide).

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
ChryZ said:
Clinical trials conducted by the University of Geneva, in Switzerland indicate that green tea appears to raise metabolic rates and speed up fat oxidation. Apparently in addition to caffeine, green tea contains catechin polyphenols that raise thermogenesis (the rate at which calories are being burned) and hence overall energy expenditure.

Green Tea has caffeine in it? I want to start drinking this stuff daily, so I assume it would be healthy to drink this stuff regularly on top of my workout and the protein shakes that I take every day? Or does it have any negative effects on muscle growth? I know that I've already cut caffeine out of my diet (mostly from soda and coffee) and I've lost about 10 lbs with a regular workout, which is why this concerns me.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Badabing said:
Green Tea has caffeine in it? I want to start drinking this stuff daily, so I assume it would be healthy to drink this stuff regularly on top of my workout and the protein shakes that I take every day? Or does it have any negative effects on muscle growth? I know that I've already cut caffeine out of my diet (mostly from soda and coffee) and I've lost about 10 lbs with a regular workout, which is why this concerns me.

The caffeine in the soda wasn't responsible for the added weight, it was the sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup. Caffeine is actually a diuretic, which I assure you sounds worse than it actually seems. It basically just makes you pee a lot.

Fantasmo

Lift weights. Muscle burns fat. Muscle requires calories and energy to maintain; the more you have, the more (and quicker) you burn. Be safe though. Being a videogamer means you might have some serious knots which can lead to tremendous muscle and joint pain.

-take coffein/ephedrine stack to increase body temperature

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS BAD ADVICE. Caffeine and ephedrine will obliterate you. Low amounts will cause you to dehydrate, shit, and cause shakiness, nervousness. They are stimulants and the down is terrible. Not to mention the migraines after a caffeine withdrawal. Ephedrine is illegal now I believe, and at high doses causes heart attacks.

I'm not an idiot and I know low levels provide some benefit for energy levels. However, taken consistently (as this advice implies to someone who is looking to lose weight)... there's simply ZERO long-term benefit.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
xsarien said:
The caffeine in the soda wasn't responsible for the added weight, it was the sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup. Caffeine is actually a diuretic, which I assure you sounds worse than it actually seems. It basically just makes you pee a lot.

Cool, I thought my weight loss was attributed to the caffeine but I'm glad I'm wrong. Still, my weight loss goes to show you the positive effects of cutting out soda in your diet. I think I'll go buy some green tea right now and have it with some dinner... I have a soar throat, this stuff will really hit the spot.

Most of this has already been mentioned, but here's what I know is supposed to increase metabolism:

- Exercise (can raise metabolism for up to 2 days depending on what you do)
- Protein (increases thermogenesis)
- Caffeine (increases thermogenesis)
- Spicy foods (supposedly)
- Increasing muscle mass (more muscles need more energy)
- Eating throughout the day (uses energy for digestion)

Some of these will also help you eat less, by making you feel less hungry:
- Protein (satiates)
- Fiber (satiates)
- Eating throughout the day (keeps you from getting really hungry, helps stabilize blood sugar levels)
- Getting enough sleep (helps keep leptin levels normal, which suppresses appetite)

Also, don't overdo it on the caffeine. Because it is a diuretic, drinking too much will leave you dehydrated. This is not only bad for your body in general, but your workouts will be less effective because you will become fatigued faster. Your body also confuses thirst and hunger when you are dehydrated, causing you to eat more. If you are good about drinking water throughout the day, though, green tea can be helpful. It's better for you than other caffeine sources like coffee or soda, because it doesn't have any calories and contains antioxidants.

kumanoki

I'm completely staying away from caffeine. I don't drink colas. I have stopped drinking tea. It's just water for me, at least for a few weeks. I go through about 2 and a half 1 liter bottles a day. I just keep filling it up when I get done and absentmindedly sipping while I'm at work. It's driving me crazy, having to pee every fifteen minutes, but my whole body feels much better hydrated.

You guys are right about the aerobic exercise. When it gets warmer (right now it's ass cold in Japan, and I live in the windiest Prefecture. Chicago ain't got shit on Gunma) I plan to get up earlier (I get up at 7) and get a good bike ride in before breakfast.

Like I said, I've got my kyudo practice three days a week, and occasionally on the weekends. That really works the upper body, especially the triceps and the upper back muscles.

As much as I'd like to lift weights, I just don't have access to them when I'd want them. I have to pick my battles. In an ideal world, I'd be pulling a Henry Rollins all over the weight room.

Last night, for the first time, I cut back on my portions. I cooked some beef and string beans over a little rice. I made myself less than I normally would, and didn't go back for seconds. After I ate, I felt satisfied. Not full, but satisfied. Now that I know I can do it, I'm going to do this fo' real.

Fantasmo

BugCatcher said:
Most of this has already been mentioned, but here's what I know is supposed to increase metabolism:

- Exercise (can raise metabolism for up to 2 days depending on what you do)
- Protein (increases thermogenesis)
- Caffeine (increases thermogenesis)
- Spicy foods (supposedly)
- Increasing muscle mass (more muscles need more energy)
- Eating throughout the day (uses energy for digestion)

Some of these will also help you eat less, by making you feel less hungry:
- Protein (satiates)
- Fiber (satiates)
- Eating throughout the day (keeps you from getting really hungry, helps stabilize blood sugar levels)
- Getting enough sleep (helps keep leptin levels normal, which suppresses appetite)

Also, don't overdo it on the caffeine. Because it is a diuretic, drinking too much will leave you dehydrated. This is not only bad for your body in general, but your workouts will be less effective because you will become fatigued faster. Your body also confuses thirst and hunger when you are dehydrated, causing you to eat more. If you are good about drinking water throughout the day, though, green tea can be helpful. It's better for you than other caffeine sources like coffee or soda, because it doesn't have any calories and contains antioxidants.

Good information... so take it off your list! The rest is great, and should be followed.

Again, caffeine works for energy and weight loss, but so does cocaine. It's not safe to use stimulants with anything workout related if you are an amateur. I was a personal trainer at a major gym for almost a year and I saw several people hit the floor hard while mixing:

caffeine/stackers/ephedrine
not enough water
not enough food

Two of those had to be taken to the hospital. Even when not working out, the caffeine "shakes" while up, and "depression" after coming down are not worth the hassle of being thinner.

As others have stated -- if you want to do it without working out...

Eat a balanced low cal diet
eat more times per day
drink plenty of water

Fantasmo

I just read your reply... great news man.. keep it up... let us know how your progress goes!

EDIT: And oh yea, LOL, don't use my avatar for advice!

kumanoki

junkster said:
I just read your reply... great news man.. keep it up... let us know how your progress goes!

EDIT: And oh yea, LOL, don't use my avatar for advice!

I love that picture. It's too bad he didn't finish under the time limit the first time. The world of competitive eating has always been fascinating to me....

junkster said:
Good information... so take it off your list! The rest is great, and should be followed.

Again, caffeine works for energy and weight loss, but so does cocaine. It's not safe to use stimulants with anything workout related if you are an amateur.
I don't really have an opinion on caffeine myself as I don't use it (I only drink water and milk). But as long as people used common sense, I didn't think they whould have any problems. I can see how taking tons of caffeine while working out would be a really bad idea, but if I work out in the evening and drink plenty of water during the day, surely there's nothing wrong with having a cup of green tea in the morning, is there?

ChryZ

Badabing said:
Yeah, green tea has caffeine in it, but only 1/5 of a good cup coffee. The people here at work are insane, the coffee is so strong ... I got heart racing and/or jittering once or twice the week. I pretty much switched to green tea and lots of water. I am feeling a lot better now. Green tea is a very good addition to a healthy diet, it got lots of good stuff going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom