• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB offering full refund on Batman: Arkham Knight on PC till the end of the year

It is a bit nuts since according to Steamspy, Asylum has 2.2 million owners on Steam and City has 2.6 million. Literally millions of sales they're going to miss out on now because of their broken port.

I'm definitely one of those people. I loved Asylum and City was real good too. Love Batman and the Arkham games but with all the terrible press Knight has gotten I'm only going to bother getting it if and when its less than $10 on a Steam sale. The whole thing seems like a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions and I'd rather not risk spending upwards of $50 on a game that has some seemingly erratic performance issues even on systems well above recommended spec, especially when the devs are now saying some of these issues they're not able to fix.

And the Batmobile stuff looks awful and boring.

Head.spawn

They really, really should've ported this game to UE4.

Instead of fucking around and giving people refunds and disappointing their parents; why not just push for that port?

Valentus

how the hell they can say that there are errors they cant fix??? in the patch / dlc era???

What the fuck Rocksteady, what the fuck.

Even Driveclub was a fucking mess and Evolution via patches made it one of the finest racers of current gen.

WB should give more than just refunds, this is a complete disaster.

Kezen

Banned

Instead of fucking around and giving people refunds and disappointing their parents; why not just push for that port?

Porting this to UE4 would have been very difficult and costly. Not an option really.

dex3108

how the hell they can say that there are errors they cant fix??? in the patch / dlc era???

What the fuck Rocksteady, what the fuck.

Even Driveclub was a fucking mess and Evolution via patches made it one of the finest racers of current gen.

WB should give more than just refunds, this is a complete disaster.

Because issues are probably on engine level and Rocksteady/WB won't rewrite code because it is waste of time.

Are there any stipulations to this? Could somebody buy the game now, beat it, and then request a refund next month?

I already own it on XB1, and have finished it, but I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious. If there are indeed no stipulations, then isn't this the equivalent of WB giving up on it entirely, as they'll inevitably lose such a huge amount of sales? If that is the case, I'm surprised they haven't just removed the game from sale on PC, as then people who want to play it couldn't do so for free, and would buy it on console.

KingBroly

Banned
I guess what I'm curious about is how they let the console versions have such priority over the PC version if there is a notable base of players on PC, not to mention marketing opportunities involved with it. In addition, how did they not reveal that it couldn't be fixed as they put it, at an earlier time? When did they come to that conclusion after all the "effort" they put into fixing it?

While WB is trying to save as much as they possibly can here, not only is this going to bite them in the ass short-term, but long-term as well. I have to wonder when the inevitable lawsuit is going to come out it, because they did lie about its' performance, who was working on it, that it could/would be fixed and then the inevitable 180, despite them wanting you to buy the DLC for a BROKEN port as if it wasn't.

Who is going to trust WB or Rocksteady going forward after this? This is a black mark for everyone involved. It hurts Iron Galaxy as well, who, while they may not be at fault for the initial bumblings of WB and Rocksteady, got raked over coals at the outset when it was discovered they ported it and it was shit. People are definitely looking at Killer Instinct with the hope that they won't fuck that up. They probably won't, but this clusterfuck has a lot of tentacles.

Arttemis

It's not totally unreasonable. If I choose that video card over its competitor's because it came with a "free" game, but it turned out to be unfinished, I'd be pissed and looking for compensation, too. Bait and switch, though not Nvidia's intention, but still the end result.

Arttemis

I guess what I'm curious about is how they let the console versions have such priority over the PC version if there is a notable base of players on PC, not to mention marketing opportunities involved with it. In addition, how did they not reveal that it couldn't be fixed as they put it, at an earlier time? When did they come to that conclusion after all the "effort" they put into fixing it?

While WB is trying to save as much as they possibly can here, not only is this going to bite them in the ass short-term, but long-term as well. I have to wonder when the inevitable lawsuit is going to come out it, because they did lie about its' performance, who was working on it, that it could/would be fixed and then the inevitable 180, despite them wanting you to buy the DLC for a BROKEN port as if it wasn't.

Who is going to trust WB or Rocksteady going forward after this? This is a black mark for everyone involved. It hurts Iron Galaxy as well, who, while they may not be at fault for the initial bumblings of WB and Rocksteady, got raked over coals at the outset when it was discovered they ported it and it was shit. People are definitely looking at Killer Instinct with the hope that they won't fuck that up. They probably won't, but this clusterfuck has a lot of tentacles.
WB is increasingly looking bad this gen. With their DLC pricing and piecemeal strategies, it's apparent that their strategy is 'fuck you give me money' at the expense of widespread customer satisfaction. I wouldn't be surprised if they minimized the workforce for this port throughout the whole ordeal against their devs' requests and suggestions.

KingBroly

Banned
WB is increasingly looking bad this gen. With their DLC pricing and piecemeal strategies, it's apparent that their strategy is 'fuck you give me money' at the expense of widespread customer satisfaction. I wouldn't be surprised if they minimized the workforce for this port throughout the whole ordeal against their devs' requests and suggestions.

It depends on how much time Rocksteady said they'd need to fix the port and WB doing a cost analysis.

This broken port sold nearly 500k copies on PC. If it wasn't broken, you'd easily double, if not triple it by year's end. You couldn't have fucked this up any harder if you tried.

ktroopa

Roll on the next Nvidia card with 12GB ram, so we can all enjoy this game maxed just like WB intended..

Im assuming from this fallout that both AA and AC rumored remasters have been canceled by means of silent takedown?

Yukinari

Its kinda amazing that Valve is supporting this game with TF2 promos. Try to squeeze whatever profits you can out of it i suppose.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt they'd fix it but now that GMG is offering refunds again I'm taking them up on it.

Did they ever remove the keys from people who refunded before?

T.O.P

Banned
Not gonna ask for a refound tbh, i got the game like a month after its release for 20€

And it ran fine locked at 30 fps without any game breaking problems, i was one of the lucky ones i guess...i also loved the game so yeah, good on them for doing this tho!

KingBroly

Banned
Its kinda amazing that Valve is supporting this game with TF2 promos. Try to squeeze whatever profits you can out of it i suppose.

Valve is a 'we'll do anything' company, for better and worse. Like the Skyrim paid mods. They're really hands-off when it comes to promotion and policy.

If it were me, not only would I not do it, I'd heavily consider kicking WB off Steam after this and MK X in the same year.

VICI0US

how do I get a refund if I got the game from an Nvidia code?

if you bought through newegg talk to their customer support

I bought my 970 partially due to the witcher 3 / AK promotion. I contacted customer support and explained what a mess AK was and they gave me a MGSV code, back when they had removed AK and started offering MGSV instead. you might be able to get a rainwbow 6/assassin's creed code as those are the current offers.

jediyoshi

They were up until a month or so ago. Sounds like you missed the refund window. :\

I know they offered refunds to coincide with the first time WB opened the refund flood gates, I was asking now, now that the last patch was a flop, to see if they would offer refunds to coincide with WB opening it up again.

Now that it's definitely available again, I'll hop on. As of yesterday, here was my original response received

Hi,

Thanks for your ticket.

Warner Brothers have released a patch on the 3rd September which has fixed the majority of the gameplay issues customers were facing. As this game is now considered in a playable state, we are no longer honoring refund requests for this title as previously announced in our blog post.

To find more information on this patch and the changes that have been made, you can navigate to this announcement here.

Kind regards,
Clay
Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service

November 1, 2015, 09:45

epmode

I gave them the benefit of the doubt they'd fix it but now that GMG is offering refunds again I'm taking them up on it.

Did they ever remove the keys from people who refunded before?

Yes, I can no longer play the game. Had to uninstall. Took em a few months to disable my copy though.

I bought my copy from Green Man Gaming, and now that I can get a full refund, I'm not sure if I should?

Here's my dilemma:

I stopped playing at 10% completion. Loved what I played, but the game was virtually unplayable - just a total stutter fest. Then the big patch was released. Nice improvement. But still nowhere near 60 FPS for me on a 4930k hexacore CPU and two GTX 980s.

Then, finally, the re-release. What I really needed was an SLI profile, which I didn't get. On my rig, I should be getting way over 60 FPS, but I'm averaging 45. The game is playable now, but not smooth. Just last week I bought my first G-sync monitor, and spent the entire weekend playing a game I had always wanted to play, but couldn't due to performance issues: Watch Dogs.

Watch Dogs, because of G-sync, is running like a dream on my PC now (I never thought the game could run this well - it's beyond astonishing). I'm convinced that Arkham Knight, on my setup, will run like a dream if I can get an SLI profile.

... wait a minute... WTF?

I just realized something... we have until the end of the blasted year to return this game? So essentially I can wait another two months for a working SLI profile, and if I still don't get it, then I can return the game.

Jeebus, that's insane.

You know what... dishonest people could abuse this policy. You buy the damned game. You play the damned game. Then you return the damned game. I hope people are honest, because this is an unprecedented move by WB. I've never seen anything like this. I'd tip my hat to them, but I don't wear hats.

kodecraft

Its not a flip of the switch, development takes hella time. There was an article stating Rocksteady barely got Arkham Knight running on consoles, hence the release date push back.

Rockstar did it right with handling a PC version. They need to be delayed and worked on separately.

kms_md

my refund request through steam was surprisingly straightforward - i completed the form and was issued a refund within several hours.

Cels

if you bought the game through GMG or other non-steam vendors and get a refund, they have a way to remove access to the game through steam? didn't know that.

Bought it at launch for pc from GMG for $38, beat it with everything done except riddler trophies in 28 hours. Great game outside of the technical cluster. I have no interest in replaying it with it not being fixed for real though. Sad, as I loved the first 3 games.

UrbanRats

I sent a refund ticket on Nuuvem

not expecting anything, but worth a try I guess..

Let us know please.

The game is unplayable for me even capped at 30, constant freezes, audio goes out and in general unacceptable performance.

I played 53 minutes, so i should be eligible anyway.

I already uninstalled the piece of shit, in the event that they won't honor the refunds though, i guess i'll take the money i spent as a reminder to never buy a Rocksteady/WB/IronGalaxy game ever again, until it goes in the bargain bin.

Isomac

I asked refund today from GMG and already got it! I got the money to my paypal account, which I used to buy the game.

Top Bottom