• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WCW/NWO Revenge

Tell me I'm not the only one who loved this jewel (for N64 youngins). I'm not the biggest fighting game fan and perhaps that is why i love it so much. Just grapple and mash! There's so many different moves for each wrestler and they couldnt be more easy to pull off. My brothers and I still play this game when we get together! Sure the graphics are pretty damn weak, and the animations leave something to be desired, but you can't even mess with the gameplay. I would sell my left nut for a remake of this for next gen. Any news on this by chance?

Anyway, for those who still might play it. Here's an awesome game scenario. 40 man battle royal with you and your friends. All modes of elimation are on, including ring out. This will help the game go faster. It really gets frantic towards the end when you are trying to figure out how many wrestlers are left....that and you dont want to be stuck with someone shitty. Example, your buddy comes in as Kevin Nash right after being eliminated. Make the first grapple, throw him out of the ring. He'll be so pissed that he never got a chance to use one of the best guys in the game. Those who are eliminated can attempt to grab people out of the ring, so they can still mess your day up. Go try this mode now with 3-4 of your friends. GO!

Mya Inca Boy for life!

Prine

Banned
Agreed. Fucking loved the game.

Best top rope moves in a wrestling game, they got the feel and impact of those moves just right. No game has pulled off a more satisfying way of performing apron manovers, I could anticipate opponents movements outside the ring and execute flying splashes by jumping from the ring out onto the mats. The taunt system was brilliant, the animation has yet to be beat, the hit detection and general reaction oftaking someone down was brutal, which made it so satisfying.

Grabbing weapons from the crowd was a great touch, and the counter system was incredibly deep... ;_:

I mean its as perfect as a wrestling game can get, it did EVERYTHING right!

Why oh why cant Aki make wrestling games based on WWE licence :( Fucking THQ

FUCK YUKES FOR THIER SHITTY GAMES!

pilonv1

Every wrestling game thread eventually evolves into someone asking for a game like No Mercy WCW/NWO revenge. Yes both games are awesome and it's pathetic we've had to put up with horrible Western wrestling games this genertion.

Prine

Banned
When you hit opponents with a chair they actually stayed down, instead of rolling straight up in Yukes games. The digital guys selling the moves were spot on.

Even with a guy laying on the floor, you could get a quick kick in, a few quick elbow drops. It was hillerious when me a my friends picked on one guy. We would all start kicking him on the floor, at times perform a 3 way top rope move. One by one doing our specials off the top rope :lol

;_;

Anyone know how well this game sold? Is there a financial reason they aren't making any type of sequals? Sounds like they may not have the rights for starters....but hell, at the worst give me a similar game with all their original characters. Were some of the non-WWF guys wrestlers from Japan? I thought that's what I heard.

And I totally agree, something about this game. You can sit there and beat on one guy for hours trying all the moves. Nothing overly complicated. That and the music ROCKS!

Prine

Banned
Aki and THQ had a disagreement i think. THQ tried to screw Aki, Aki told THQ to fuck off.

I hope for WWE to give the WCW and ECW licence to EA, that would rock. Oh and AKI games sold well, very well on n64

Revolver

Loved the game. I still enjoy it and No Mercy more than any of the current WWE wrestling titles. The graphics haven't aged well, but the gameplay schools the current crop of grapplers.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Here's how it went down.

THQ: "Work for us exclusively."
Aki: "Okay, what will you give us?"
THQ: "Uhh, a hug, and we'll let you keep making WWF games."
Aki: "Fuck you."
THQ: "Then no WWF license for you."
Aki: "Bye."

Flakster99

Best Wrestling game of the last generation. So much fun, and really got a few friends of mine who had written off fighting games, completely sucked into this game's addictive game play.

Scyn

I know a friend of mine who bought the N64 cause i showed him the wrestling game and he loved it so much...we would have 4 of us just plaing for hours, beating each other up

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I remember on No Mercy having a IronMan match between Austin and Debra. I used 30 different weapons on her.

evil ways

The only reason besides Zelda that I decided to keep the N64 for as long as I did. The game was that fun, even after WM2000 and No Mercy came out.

I only liked Jericho and Raven out of the entire roster but the made up characters were so cool. Aki Man, Dr. Frank, Shogun and Brickowski etc. were favorites of mine, the scary part though is that I bought the WCW/nWo Revenge strategy guide and all those characters had bios and stories of their own.

I remember we used to have these huge Revenge bashes after school/college and play it until late at night. One of our friends hated the fake characters so much that he would not play us unless we used someone from the actual WCW roster, cause he wanted to emulate the matches on TV.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I can't believe how many years have passed and still no WWF/WWE game has matched this in terms of gameplay and playability.

F' Yukes!

evil ways

Sho Nuff said:
Here's how it went down.

THQ: "Work for us exclusively."
Aki: "Okay, what will you give us?"
THQ: "Uhh, a hug, and we'll let you keep making WWF games."
Aki: "Fuck you."
THQ: "Then no WWF license for you."
Aki: "Bye."

Pretty much, then they got Yukes instead for real cheap.

LakeEarth

"Anyone know how well this game sold?"

Haha, first WCW/NWO World Tour came out - millions sold
Then WCW/NWO Revenge - even MORE millions sold
Then they got the WWF licence for Wrestlemania 2000 - even MORE millions sold
Then WWF No Mercy, which Cpn. Strong, you MUST now obtain - even more

People knew quality plus wrestling was hot back then. Really good sales. I'm happy that THQ only sells a couple of hundred thousand now. Serves them right.

evil ways

LakeEarth said:
"Anyone know how well this game sold?"

Haha, first WCW/NWO World Tour came out - millions sold
Then WCW/NWO Revenge - even MORE millions sold
Then they got the WWF licence for Wrestlemania 2000 - even MORE millions sold
Then WWF No Mercy, which Cpn. Strong, you MUST now obtain - even more

People knew quality plus wrestling was hot back then. Really good sales. I'm happy that THQ only sells a couple of hundred thousand now. Serves them right.

Actually, most Smackdown games are currently a couple of thousands short of a million, which is more or less what the AKI games sold, between 750,000-900,000.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
All the AKI games broke a million. With World Tour being the lowest. When you take into account userbases of the respective consoles, that speaks volumes about what people will and won't put up with. Basically THQ could got served. They could be selling a hell of lot more games with AKI behind the engine...

TheDiave

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Every wrestling game thread eventually evolves into someone asking for a game like No Mercy WCW/NWO revenge. Yes both games are awesome and it's pathetic we've had to put up with horrible Western wrestling games this genertion.
Yukes isn't a western developer... The Smackdown games still suck though.

Bog

Junior Ace
Juno said:
All the AKI games broke a million. With World Tour being the lowest. When you take into account userbases of the respective consoles, that speaks volumes about what people will and won't put up with. Basically THQ could got served. They could be selling a hell of lot more games with AKI behind the engine...

Uh, WWF Attitude sold like 2 million, didn't it? Your theory is dead.

Fatalah

I played World Tour like a champ when it first came out. Aki put in alot of cool stuff like different rings/arenas, japanese talent, different outfits for wrestlers.

really great game. i played the hell out of it; every match was like practicing a dance step.

no mercy's speed was turned up a little bit. presentation of the arenas, multimedia, and sound were top notch.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bog said:
Uh, WWF Attitude sold like 2 million, didn't it? Your theory is dead.

That was pretty much before the AKI engine caught on and if you remember WWF Warezone was pretty much the best wrestling game to come out before th e AKI ones hit. WWF Attitude was fueled by WWF zeleots. WCW didn't have the viewerbase to do the same.

Top Bottom