• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF6 vs Moron Kombat 1 vs Tekken 8

Best FG of the last 12 months?

• Total voters

Edmund

I love both sf6 and tekken 8 so much. This is impossible for me to vote but I went with sf6 because of the amazing netcode.

But then again, the replay mode in tekken 8 is revolutionary.

I have no idea why Mortal Kombat 1 is even on this discussion at all...

Remember the good ol days where Mortal Kombat characters actually looked like characters? Back in MK 10 and arguably 11 and stuff?

images

They looked kinda cool and badass too and stuff.

And not just actors and face models doing really bad cosplay?

images

Amazin character design (Not even talking about the whole "She's ugly" thing, I'm talking about character design)

What about animations? Animations that don't feel like the characters are stuck in a train track, or floating heavily in the air?
Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 have those Free-Jazz animations.
MK 1 has those dollar store cover band Meshuggah animations.

Remember King of Fighters 99, and the Strikers?
Remember how cool it was that you could still do shit while they were doing their thing on screen? Your characters would just do their taunt for less then a second, and then you could go to town while Ralf charged his Galactica Phantom. Cool isn't it?
I guess standing there like you are waiting for the bus to arrive, until your striker ends his/her animation, is much better, right?

But it makes sense that they didn't implement that in MK. It's a complex thing to implement...
If you forget the fact that KOF 99 came out in 1999 (Duh, dumb me) in a console that looks like this

Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png

and Mortal Kombat came out in 2023, in a console that looks like this

ps5-product-thumbnail-01-en-14sep21

Amazin.

Remember art style and art direction? MK 10 and arguably 11 had that. And not just obsessing with hyper realism?
Again, remember when MK characters looked like actual characters?

Double Amazin.

Oh, remember also when game developers/directors/producers had this thing where they actually liked and wanted to make video games?
And you could kind of feel that by looking at every aspect in their games?

Isn't that kinda nice?

Or is it better for devs to spend years working on a game, when they just wanted to make a movie this whole time? And you can kind of tell that from... Everything. From presentation to gameplay.

Triple Amazin.

P.Jack

I wasn't even aware so many on here didn't like MK1, which is by far the most popular FG franchise globally.
Hmm.

Mortal Kombat doesn’t even get released in many places, including Japan.

But Mortal Kombat has sold more copies”
By this metric it is the biggest franchise, but that’s counting no less than 24 games. The only big sellers in the franchise are MKX and MK11. Another metric is revenue, where Street Fighter is way ahead, because of SFII.

Both Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are bigger than Tekken in the US but Tekken is more popular worldwide.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Street Fighter VI is just Street Fighter II-3. Zero interest in that shit. Didn't put much time into Tekken 8 which I regret but game offers up a lot out the box that will take SF VI years to catch up on.

Don't care about MK Temu outside of Omni-Man.

Mortal Kombat 1: I haven't played it, but I abhor assists in fighting games and am very salty they brought back MK3 Stryker after decades and I can't play him. On top of that they are adding bottom of the barrel superheroes... :cautious: I much preferred action heroes and horror movie icons even if MK characters were my preference.

Street Fighter 6: I still play older installments and it managed to bore me while playing as Ken. I love playing as Ken. I enjoy playing him in Street Fighter II', Street Fighter Alpha 2/3, Street Fighter III: Second Impact, and Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on the regular. I can't bring myself to play him in the new installment just like I couldn't do it in Street Fighter V. :confused:

Tekken 8: I love it. I am probably the biggest hater of Tekken 7 in the world. This sequel managed to bring me back. I am still disappointed by the butchering of my mains Kazuya and Zafina with the demon crap, but the unique changes to Law, Nina, and Kuma have had me playing and having a blast on the regular. I am also mildly addicted to Tekken Ball.
James Franco GIF

nikos

Street Fighter has always been my favorite fighting game but they completely fucked it after SFIV. SFV was nowhere near as good and SF6 seems to be going backwards.

It almost seems archaic in features compared to T8 and MK1. Both of those games have features that should be standard in fighting games. I was shocked to see the input settings in MK1. Being able to disable input shortcuts and change the input window timing is incredible, and would fix some of the issues I have with SF6. Both of those games also support ultrawide. Not the most important thing in fighting games, but SF6's resolution options make it look horrible on some modern monitors. You have to force the game to render at 2x+ resolution to look decent. Also, having one major balance patch per year was a horrible decision.

Tekken 8 is really solid but also complicated. I ended up overwhelmed trying to learn too much too quickly when it released and haven't played it since. I just redownloaded it while posting this and will try to have fun pressing buttons and seeing where it goes.

Tried Mortal Kombat 1 very briefly during during the free weekend. Didn't have enough time to really play it but it seemed pretty good. Again, those input related features are game changer for me. Input shortcuts ruined Street Fighter.

Granblue is genuinely fun and seems like the most accessible of all, from a learning perspective, but I didn't end up buying it because the Free Edition was too generous. I should probably buy the full version. It's a real shame its playerbase is way smaller.

Bond007

Im gonna go with what i enjoyed myself with the most. Not what reviews or people wanna tell each other.
My enjoyment goes

MK1 > SF6 > Tekken

Tekken just no longer resonates with me like it used to. I also simply just had the best time playing MK1 and enjoyed the story alot- after that, it gets alittle thin and i lasted through season 2.
For me, thats longer than the other two in a genre that generally gets old for me quickly.

Closer

I've been playing Street Fighter since World Warrior on SNES, basically nonstop. I have enjoyed all entries I've played. I even loved the Ex games people somehow love to hate. To me, it's pretty easy to figure out which is the best game between those three and it's Tekken 8 no contest.

Barakov

Gold Member
SF6 is like one update away from being where it needs to be. Moron Kombat has been DEI'd up the wazoo. Tekken 8 gets my vote.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
atpRtsd Moron Kombat

Tekken 8 currently wins IMO. Most fun to watch and play. SF6 once again is mismanaged. This time they launch in a great state and then crickets.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I've never seen anything like what im seeing with Ed Boon basically bellying up and letting WB ruin his baby. Ed's a very respected Industry veteran, so this is very sad to see.

IMO- Him and John Tobias should legally buy the MK IP and take all ownership of it's development, past entries, and future titles directly. WB needs to fuck right off.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

i didn't end up buying any but was in the CT for all 3 and Tekken 8 is the right choice.

but im also a tekken fan over the other 2 anyway so take that as you will.

As a big MK fan, i felt underwhelmed by MK1 after MK11. The customization is terrible, just pallet swaps. MK11 felt like any item you get is specific for that one fighter and it fits their character. In MK1....now even Scorpion can be green with a green mohawk...like wtf does that have to do with the actual character. Its just terrible roster IMO. The story is literally a remake of Armageddon mixed with some time travel. It just went bat shit crazy that nothing made sense anymore.

Tekken 8 on the other hand was fun all the way.

Last edited:

Ridaxan

I don't really like Tekken in general, but Tekken 8 feels like a much more "complete" product than either SF6 or MK1.

MK1 feels like quite a step back from MK11, but I mostly have nitpicks than actual constructive criticism. I really dislike the fact that the Kameo fighters are core to the gameplay design.

I'd say T8 > SF6 > MK1.

Area61

Tekken 8 wiping the floor left and right. Not even a close comparison. MK1 offer nothing noteworthy beside production value, gameplay wasn't satisfying.
SF6 is just good nothing extraordinary and seems way grindy with so little roster. Only Tekken 8 seems to be the complete package from the get go.

Top Bottom