• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have too many "too big to fail" gaming companies negatively impacting the industry, and we need to do something about it quickly.

Merlot

Neo Member
Well, who made those companies big in the first place? Some Mr Billionaire surely did not donated millions of dollars to EA.

It was us, consumers.

We, as a gaming community, are still playing most recent Battlefield, we are still playing FIFA. We are still buying most recent Assasins Creed.
As to question why the general consumer base doesn't react on the opinions on the internet we can only speculate, as there are probably more
variables than anyone of us can imagine.

As for why that happens i would guess it has something to do with us leaning more into big company's offers.
Look at Steam, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, Apple, McDonald's, KFC, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Marvel, Disney, any megacorp with global range.
Will you pick that no-name cola, or will you trust good ol' Pepsi/Coca-Cola.
Will you create your e-mail adress on some @heyyyeeeyeeyehe.org or good ol' Gmail.

Will you choose some new german studio's movie for your next week date? Or will you select some blockbuster Marvel your girlfriend haven't seen yet?

We are being scooped by megacorps from all sides, gaming is not a magical exception, try keeping a broader view.
Our consumer tastes have changed in the past 10 years. We are not experimenting ourselves, we are choosing the
good ol' <inscert some megacorp's name here>.

Well, that's my opinion, hope to hear your view in that matter. :messenger_grinning:

Jubenhimer

Several of those are last gen games. That's the issue you aren't getting, most of the new indies aren't on consoles, this is an objective fact, game lists are publicly available for comparisons, and if you're to stupid to take 3 minutes to just look at the lists that's your problem. Stop being stubborn, you're wrong.

There's more Indies on consoles this gen than there were last gen. Indies didn't become a big deal last gen until towards the very end. Doesn't really matter if there's more on PC, Because of course there's more on PC. You still haven't proved why I'm wrong with actual sources to back up your claims. Saying "go look it up yourself" is a lazy cop-out meant to disguise a weak argument with little evidence.

If you really want to prove me wrong, then you find find the yourself and link it to me. After all, it only takes a few seconds right?

Helscream

Banned
I remember a while back when I played the "Making of" videos from Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Ed Boon talked about how much their team had grown since the days of MK 1-3. I remember him saying around the lines of "Back in the day we had a team of just 6 people, now we are lucky enough to had 50-60 of the most talented people in the industry to help us develop Mortal Kombat." I am paraphrasing of course, but the fact that Ed Boon was blown away by how large their team was in 2002. That was 17 YEARS AGO. The money, time, and people needed to develop video games today are GARGANTUAN in comparison.

David Jaffe had mentioned years ago (cant remeber his exact statement) that the Video Game industry should put more focus on Double A or Single A titles to exist in the market. A $30 entry for a game like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice I felt like reached a good balance between quality and budget was well as price entry. The point here is it takes so much time, people, and money for Triple AAA titles that quality Single A or Double A titles should come in between heavy hitters to allow smaller in scale yet interesting games to populate the market and not get overshadowed by the Triple AAA titles.

I am sure someone can articulate the point I am trying to make better. I just think it would be great to have a market that has different scopes / price entries of games that would allow smaller development teams to put forth their own ambitious ideas and not get eclipsed by much larger studios. Otherwise we would have a few, but grotesquely large gaming studios pumping out generic crap that appeals to the largest common denominator.

Top Bottom