• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need To Talk About Cyber-Bullying.

Cyberbully only applies if the person behind the avatar is know. Like in a social network as Facebook, where people with real names are exposed, get their reputation damaged and can't just change their real IDs and names. "cyberbully" against an avatar looks as stupid as "virtual rape". There's no such thing. Unidentified people shitting unidentified people is nothing to be upset about and "problematizing" it is the same thing sjw used long time ago to start controlling what people could say in forums. The block button exists and it works.

gatti-man

Are you talking about so-called shitposting or the call for more mod flexing? What will happen if @Birdo gets his way is jokes will start getting labelled shitposts by anyone who either has no sense of humour or can’t keep up (recent examples: @Contica aka Edamame and G gatti-man ). People who can’t keep up (aka compete) have a tendency to resort to underhanded, authoritarian tactics like silencing those who can. Then people will start getting banned for jokes that were incorrectly labelled shitposts and the forum meta will shift towards callout culture and demonising anyone with a sense of humour as a shitposter. In this case, you’ve just handed all the power back to the fragile Ree types. Do you want @Cunth banned? This is how you get Cunth banned.

You’ve got it completely backwards: the 2014-2017 snowball happened because humour was squashed under the boot heel of feminine inclusion and masculine enforcement of social order was demonized. It didn’t happen because of bullying and shitposting. The solution is not more mod flexing; it’s allowing the forum to rid itself of fragility so that “bullying” isn’t necessary. Take my dismissive joke at gatti-man’s expense here. I’ll use myself so no one else gets dragged in. This is the kind of thing that would be labelled a bullying shitpost, but that would be missing the point. He came into the thread but left his sense of humour at the door and had nothing to add but negativity and fragility. If he doesn’t like the topic, he can just ignore it. But that’s not what he does — he has to let everyone know how superior he is for being super serious and unable to self-deprecate. A simple jab and a few laughs at his expense let him know he’s overstepped the line. If he’s not a broken narcissist, he will recognise it and adapt to fit in. To label this bullying would be extremely low resolution thinking and would miss the point that his actions preceded it, and despite what you were taught in the feminised schooling system, who started it does indeed matter.

A true bully offers no recourse. They’re not asking him to adapt and fit in; they want to exile, likely to satisfy their own pathologies. On the internet, these are the Blue Checkmark Ree types, not GAF shitposters clowning around, often with themselves as the butt of the joke. Don’t conflate the two and don’t call for more mod flexing because that will have unintended consequences. It’s like we just rid ourselves of communism and everyone is revelling in the newfound freedom, but then there’s a generational switch and the new generation is a bit more sensitive to the warts of freedom so they start calling for more communism. They’re ignorant of history and will repeat the mistakes of the past.

P.S. All this concern for a troll thread made to farm reactions.
This shit is just laughable. Blaming poor reception of “humor and jokes” on people not keeping up with the shitposting lingo and memes has got to be the most idiotic things I’ve heard all month. Congrats.

brap

Banned
See shit like this is just low quality trolling. Neogaf should try and be better than dumb stuff like this but it’s whatever. I’ll keep calling it out until this place gets so embarrassing I’ll move on.
You said the exact same thing to me in a thread I made recently because neogaf is srs biznizz guiz!! If you want gaf to change maybe make some threads instead of just bitching in everybody elses.

gatti-man

You said the exact same thing to me in a thread I made recently because neogaf is srs biznizz guiz!! If you want gaf to change maybe make some threads instead of just bitching in everybody elses.
Yeah ok mak sum threadz! Totally will hide dumb crap that’s prepubescent. I don’t want gaf to change on a whole. I’ve only been talking to the peak children around here unless you think your gafs average poster (you’re not). I’ve been around through gafs highs and lows since 2000. Gaf changes on its own. It’s a collective.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
See shit like this is just low quality trolling. Neogaf should try and be better than dumb stuff like this but it’s whatever. I’ll keep calling it out until this place gets so embarrassing I’ll move on.
fe775ae0319039da071845869aa3b08813c9f896e53a8b8df303ffed570bb988_1.jpg

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Rather than crying, bitching, and moaning about it every chance you get, how about you lead by example?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what you're talking about, even if admittedly I'm a part of the problem more often than not, but wanting change yet not helping to facilitate that change is a waste of time and energy.

Last edited:

Melon

Banned
Yeah ok mak sum threadz! Totally will hide dumb crap that’s prepubescent. I don’t want gaf to change on a whole. I’ve only been talking to the peak children around here unless you think your gafs average poster (you’re not). I’ve been around through gafs highs and lows since 2000. Gaf changes on its own. It’s a collective.

If you're just going to complain about stuff while also simultaneously acting like the petulant children you're oh so against, then go right ahead. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Last edited:
I have never bullied @CurryPanda

Wut Redneckerz was a backstabber that loved starting drama according to the people that benned him.

He was definitely concern trolling, but even as he was. it did lead to good introspections and discussions. Also he was funny, especially his documentary style retellings of the ecosystem of Resetera. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I haven’t been bullied here at NeoGAF unlike at other forums, such as IGN, so I’m quite happy about that. It seems that most of the people here are pretty nice. It’s a refreshing change from the assholes I’ve had to deal with for years now.

Papa

Banned
I haven’t been bullied here at NeoGAF unlike at other forums, such as IGN, so I’m quite happy about that. It seems that most of the people here are pretty nice. It’s a refreshing change from the assholes I’ve had to deal with for years now.

Yet

brap

Banned
Go watch a dubbed anime, nerd LOL

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not to defend brap but this is offtopic. There are plenty of threads and as long as they don't break the rules I don't see the problem.

lil puff

On cyberbullying.

I'm not actually sure what it is.

To me, a real life bully is someone you cannot avoid, you are available for them because you either share the same physical space, or the bully has a means of locating you, repeatedly and consistently.

Online, you can avoid toxicity, the back button is at your fingertips. These are random people that you are not in anyway obligated to share a space with. As suggested earlier, there are ignore and avoidance features, opt outs, or just turn the computer off.

I've seen some shows on "cyberbullying" one is called Web Of Lies. In just about every case where someone is being tormented, they keep going right back into it and taking the bait. Or they think the person who has been sending them death threats, etc will happily go away. A troll is a troll. If you are addicted to your space on the internet and keep stepping into the same shit. It's on you, imo.

Ok, there may be people who are bullies, but you don't have to be bullied.

I can understand in the early internet days being naive. Or maybe someone in their 50-60s who simply don't understand. A lot of times, I have noticed that the parents in the cases of these situations are very hands off of what their kids are doing on the internet. Sorry, if someone sent you several death threats and you come right back... is that actually considered being bullied?

Airola

On cyberbullying.

I'm not actually sure what it is.

To me, a real life bully is someone you cannot avoid, you are available for them because you either share the same physical space, or the bully has a means of locating you, repeatedly and consistently.

Online, you can avoid toxicity, the back button is at your fingertips. These are random people that you are not in anyway obligated to share a space with. As suggested earlier, there are ignore and avoidance features, opt outs, or just turn the computer off.

I've seen some shows on "cyberbullying" one is called Web Of Lies. In just about every case where someone is being tormented, they keep going right back into it and taking the bait. Or they think the person who has been sending them death threats, etc will happily go away. A troll is a troll. If you are addicted to your space on the internet and keep stepping into the same shit. It's on you, imo.

Ok, there may be people who are bullies, but you don't have to be bullied.

I can understand in the early internet days being naive. Or maybe someone in their 50-60s who simply don't understand. A lot of times, I have noticed that the parents in the cases of these situations are very hands off of what their kids are doing on the internet. Sorry, if someone sent you several death threats and you come right back... is that actually considered being bullied?

Ok wait, what is the issue here? Are you downplaying death threats because people call things like that bullying?

I'm not sure if the correct response to "trolls" sending death threats is to let them be the way they are and you having to retreat.

I've seen people telling "corrective bullying" from peers when someone is being doing socially stupid things is ok, but shouldn't sending death threats also be one hell of a case of being socially idiot in the biggest way possible? If anything, people like that should be slapped and corrected for being major assholes.

A person who keeps coming back to someone who sends death threats is not the one who is doing the wrong thing. Sure, it might be stupid for that person's own health and sanity to keep coming back, but why the hell someone who sends death threats or whatever asshole bullshit he comes up with should be the one who should be left standing and the one who has received the messages should be told to stay down?

I understand trolling and I get it's fun to have trolls around, but we shouldn't suck their dicks just for the sake of keeping this semi-romanticized and glamorized view of "harmless trolls" up. Some of these trolls are straight up degenerate assholes. And no, a bully doesn't have to keep coming back to one person all the time. A dude who goes around punching random people only once is about as much of an asshole than a person who targets only on one person is.

Why it's "you don't have to be bullied" instead of "you don't have to be a bully?" I mean, is that really the message people should get what comes to bullying? As if it's more important to have the bully the right to bully than to have the bullied the right to keep on going forward even if that means facing the bully over and over again.

EDIT:
In case of cyberbullies, the problem is that when a regular bully would be an ass only when being face to face in real life and one would have to take whatever shit the bully spews from his mouth, this cyberbullying shit creeps right in our homes. I remember when text messaging began to be a thing and there were reports of people now harassing others by sending them text messages. Sure, you could tell people to just ignore them, but it isn't that easy. You all know the feeling when you have had some stupid internet or a real life argument and it suddenly keeps coming back to your head during the day. And sometimes just seeing an annoying person post another post gives an annoying feeling. We are humans. It's just not that easy to keep your mind away from things that annoy you.

Imagine some idiot from school bombing you with text messages how he's going to beat your ass tomorrow or just reminding you of whatever insecurities you might have. Shouldn't homes be the one true safe space for people from all kinds of assholes in this world? Shouldn't home be the place where you should be able to be without having to hear bullshit from other people? Sure, on some online forums, do what you want. It's a public place where moderators either give an asshole a slap or they don't. But the moment someone starts to send bullshit on private messages it's not anymore a case of trolls being trolls. I don't care what people want or don't want to call that. I don't care if someone says it's bullying or it's not bullying, but it's certainly something where the one who writes those messages should be slapped in the face instead of telling the person who receives them to just ignore it.

EDIT2:
Cyberbullying literally is the same as if in a world without any online internet things and cell phones some asshole would come and drop threats of violence or death, or just some shit about your appearance or whatever else, on your mailbox or slide it through the crack on the door or tape it one your front door. Sure, we can say "you can ignore it, just don't look at those letters", but shouldn't the default position for any person be that no-one should give those letters to anyone in the first place?

Last edited:

lil puff

You may be presuming that I am giving bullies and death threats a pass, for which I did not think I needed to explain myself there. No I do not support bullying for the record and the intent is not to victim blame.

Death threat is an extreme example, but yes, if you are being threatened in any way online, especially any sort of media that exposes your location - perhaps it's not correct or right, but is it not smart to stop exposing yourself? I have seen stories where this exact behavior has led to deaths. In some cases, even the parents knew the behavior and didn't intervene.

The reason I bring up troll, is because you can avoid it and not subject yourself to the trash online. AKA don't feed them.

When I think of bullying, I think of situations where you cannot get away from it. Like a kid has to go to school and face it, not to mention the consequences for bullying seem to be a slap on the wrist. I do take your point on the asshole who goes around punching random people.

My question was - If you are the one stepping back into it, and making yourself susceptible to it, rather than simply avoiding it, is cyber-bullying the right term? Maybe it is, I suppose., if you're suggesting that even if your avoid the bully, he/she is still there. I can see that point. That was what I was questioning.

While we continue awareness in general about bullying and mental health issues with youth, I guess I'm saying in the meantime, don't allow it to happen when we have the tools and enough precedent today to avoid it.

Papa

Banned
Let’s not be hysterical. A death threat issued on the internet is a far cry from a death threat issued in real life. The former can be laughed off as the impotent raging of a social delinquent while the latter should be reported to the police. As with all things, there is a degree of nuance, and some online death threats are credible, but the vast majority are not and can be easily identified and safely ignored by anyone in possession of more than a few brain cells.

Top Bottom