• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE PSP IS OUT!

Fowler

...and not in the pirated sense either, I mean the original Asian (region 3, it says) version!

Only played it briefly before I have to sleep for work tomorrow, and good and bad news I reckon. The bad news is I think Famitsu is smoking crack -- 9/9/9/9 is generous. But even that's not terribly bad news, because it's still a fine-ass game -- just not nearly as fine as they said it was.

It's definitely WE, though there's something missing. It has the general feel and pace of WE, slick passing, powerful shooting, etc, but control is a bit off (though this could be because I haven't settled on using the d-pad or analog stick yet) and the AI is brain-dead-retarded. They frequently misjudge balls, everything from simple square passes to swirling crosses, and it almost proved costly for me.

Also -- you CAN transfer all your names from PS2 to PSP, but it WON'T transfer "transfers" (ie, Owen to Newcastle, etc). I don't know why, but it's pretty annoying. The game also won't allow you to edit kits... but mysteriously enough it will import all your kit graphics (logos etc) so I reckon it'll be an unlockable extra. I can't read Japanese so anyone

Despite the gripes: IT'S PORTABLE WINNING ELEVEN. It has most of the good, and despite the loss of two shoulders translates fairly well to the PSP. And it appears to have a fairly fleshed-out Wi-Fi (ad-hoc) multiplayer mode, asking you to enter a name before it allows you to find a game and apparently keeping a full set of stats. I'll definitely be playing a lot more over the next couple of days, and I'll be happy to share my data file with anyone who's got the game and wants names for the English, Spanish and Italian leagues.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What firmware does this require? Someone mentioned that this is a 2.0 game and does not work with FastLoader. I wonder if the version changer would work?

I don't want to update my PSP...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"nly played it briefly before I have to sleep for work tomorrow, and good and bad news I reckon. The bad news is I think Famitsu is smoking crack -- 9/9/9/9 is generous. But even that's not terribly bad news, because it's still a fine-ass game -- just not nearly as fine as they said it was.

It's definitely WE, though there's something missing. It has the general feel and pace of WE, slick passing, powerful shooting, etc, but control is a bit off (though this could be because I haven't settled on using the d-pad or analog stick yet) and the AI is brain-dead-retarded. They frequently misjudge balls, everything from simple square passes to swirling crosses, and it almost proved costly for me."
this is EXACTLY how i felt when i played it. four 9s is WAY over the top. I thought it was a bit sluggish/slow and the load times were a bit nasty.

The claim that all the animation from the PS2 version is in the game is very quickly revealed to be utter bollox as well :(

Still tomorrow for me! :)

king zell

I just bought a PSP recently for this game.. can't wait to get it

will there be downloadable contents in the future? what kind of stuff will that be?

Snowball

Banned
Fowler said:
...and not in the pirated sense either, I mean the original Asian (region 3, it says) version!

Only played it briefly before I have to sleep for work tomorrow, and good and bad news I reckon. The bad news is I think Famitsu is smoking crack -- 9/9/9/9 is generous. But even that's not terribly bad news, because it's still a fine-ass game -- just not nearly as fine as they said it was.

You broke my hearth. :'(
So, let's say you are a Famitsu reviewer and you have to judge it, what is your score?
Thanks.

Juice

I'm really, really tempted to buy it, but I have to echo these concerns after spending a good twenty minutes at the denkiyasan

-Load times, all the time. To the point of making me wonder whether the game just turned off. "Woah. Black screen. What happened." I'm still not sure whether it was the display unit malfunctioning.
-controls are just a bit awkward, like just about every port from a DS2 setup to a PSP one. shooting felt a little off.
-graphics look really beautiful. i love the look of it.

Four 9's is overrated. I'd say it's an 8.x ish game just based on first-impressions. I'm no soccer whore, so I won't be getting into the really deep micro-management anyway, but that's just how I see it at the moment.

On second thought, maybe I'll get minna no golf instead.

p.s. The analog nub had been removed from the display unit, so all there was was this little plastic square connector underneath it. I was shocked to say it was actually easier to control than when the nub was present! I'm tempted to rip the nub off my own PSP and just use the raw plastic.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"-Load times, all the time. To the point of making me wonder whether the game just turned off. "Woah. Black screen. What happened." I'm still not sure whether it was the display unit malfunctioning."
that sounds like a malfunctioning unit.

The loading has a grey scren with the white scrolling bars at the bottom like the PS2 version.
Once each "match" is loaded, that's it - there is no more loading like Fifa.

ourumov

I'll dump it and run from MS...I hope access times improve.

Edit: Read in other forums that is 100% confirmed that the game doesn't work with FL and requires 2.0 firmware :)

Brofist

Anyone hear if that little firmware changer homebrew app by WAB works with WE9 by making believe it's a 2.0 PSP?

I don't know, something about not being able to scream GOAAAALLLL the loudest I can in the face of whoever I'm playing with kinda kills the mood

Fowler

The load times are long (and yes, there IS a black screen at one point -- hell I think the initial load after the Konami logo is a black screen), but I'm not fussed. It's simple: PS2 WE's load times suck. PSP load times suck. Throw WE on PSP and you KNOW you're going to have to wait. But as DC noted, it's smooth through the game itself -- unlike FIFA there are no awkward pauses during gameplay. This though is partially because there's no commentary...

I'd say it's a 7-8 right now, though I'd really have to play more before FINAL JUDGEMENT (and I will play more).

BTW -- ourumov's point about the Master League reminds me -- it's pretty disappointing how basic it is in terms of modes. There's match and league. And... yeah. No master league is disappointing but understandable -- but no CUP even? Shocker. And I totally wouldn't expect any downloadable content :p

Keio

For a Finer World
PSPupdates said:
But it is confirmed that WAB version changer will fool this game to function perfectly (Whew, the remaining v1.5s…)
Praised be WAB! My import should be on it's way soon!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ourumov said:
I'll dump it and run from MS...I hope access times improve.

Edit: Read in other forums that is 100% confirmed that the game doesn't work with FL and requires 2.0 firmware :)

the game is already cracked. SONY AM CRYING

good news about it running under the WAB firmware changer though. makes me hopeful for GTA :D

Keio

For a Finer World
shooting felt a little off.
With R2-shooting being a IMO too important part of WE9 PS2, how did they pull that off on PSP?

Also I mainly use R2 to defend in WE9, how does that translate to PSP controls?

Freekick mechanic was already changed to accomodate the PSP version in WE9 PS2, but I was surprised they didn't get rid of L2/R2 completely.

Top Bottom