• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We will do what we are doing right now, which is to become less reliant on 3rd Party games, and to make more 1st Party games." - JIM RYAN

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

"We will do what we are doing right now, which is to become less reliant on 3rd Party games and 3rd Party royalties, and to make more 1st Party games. If we double our share of 1st Party games, which are more profitable than the 3rd Party royalty stream, it will bring down our reliance on 3rd Party games."

"That is the single biggest thing, and one of the main reasons why we are embarking on M&A. I would like to point out that we are also growing our existing studios, increasing capabilities and their ability to output in various areas including live services. I feel like this part deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets. Large M&A gets all the headlines, but there is a lot going on, and growing your studios organically successfully is a smart thing to do."

Finally some shit I want to hear out of PlayStation.

Loving these quotes. What a handsome man, Jim is.

VWPVe88.gif

Last edited:

Aenima

Jimbo about to purchase Square Enix so they dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives.
I hate the way the industry is going, but after MS two giant aquisitions that stole alot of multiplatform IPs from Playstation players, i hope Sony follow up with some smart aquisitions that dosent involve paying premium for a single studio to keep them self published, like Bungie. Dumbest purchase in PS history.

Last edited:
We believe in generations, right Jimmy???
"We have always said that we believe in generations.We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features. We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While Xbox's strategy may look more sexy and create more headlines, Sony's strategy is definitely more smart and successful. More importantly, it is Sony's strategy that has been working and will continue to do so.

Once all these live-service GaaS games release and a couple of them hit big, there will be no stopping PlayStation.

ungalo

Jimbo about to purchase Square Enix so they dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives.
I hate the way the industry is going, but after MS two giant aquisitions that stole alot of multiplatform IPs from Playstation players, i hope Sony follow up with some smart aquisitions that dosent involve paying premium for a single studio to keep them self published, like Bungie. Dumbest purchase in PS history.
They want very profitable games, not this kind of games. They don't want killer app but games that make a lot of money without big investments like Nintendo. Square Enix is useless.

What he's saying is just that royalties are fine but they are mostly secured now with the market shares they have compared to Xbox. But that doesn't make enough money regardless so we have to make GAAS.

Last edited:
While Xbox's strategy may look more sexy and create more headlines, Sony's strategy is definitely more smart and successful. More importantly, it is Sony's strategy that has been working and will continue to do so.

Once all these live-service GaaS games release and a couple of them hit big, there will be no stopping PlayStation.
It has to be a new take on GaaS because people are fatigued with the formula

Crayon

That's what's going to happen if Ms doesn't give up first. MS is really insistent in not having ps around but it'll be pretty hard. Ps has a straightforward path right now to pivoting in that Apple/Nintendo direction. Whatever that is called. Some business person probly knows a name for that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wait a minute there. The story for the last 30 years has been that PlayStation owes its success to having all the third parties, and that Nintendo fell off from grace because they had no third parties for many of their home systems before the Switch. I mean, copying Nintendo’s been Sony’s regular modus operandi for decades, but this one seems a bit contradictory.

cireza

Sounds like the typical Sony behavior.

Beginning of gen : "Third parties are the best, we love third parties, let's pay them to block games on PS and fill our lineup".

And then a few years later, when enough first party games are finally nearing completion : "Our first party line-up is awesome, first party power, here our next show won't even have third parties because we want to sell first party games".

Can't wait for their next show that will feature only 4 first party games and a guy playing the flute.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We believe in generations is the biggest lie of this goon
No. In the same interview, he also confirmed that they will serve the PS4 community for at least a couple more years:

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s." -- Jim Ryan.

Not his fault if someone cherry-picks his statements to create a narrative after he had already confirmed that both PS5 and PS4 communities will be served.

Duchess

ND is working on 2 games
The Last of Us Part 3 and that space game. It's not Uncharted, since they've farmed that off to another studio, with the focus being on Nathan and Elena's daughter.

Guerrilla is working on 2 games (both are Horizon games though: one SP and one MP)
Now with 50% more lesbianism!

Insomniac are working on 3 games (2 SP and 1 MP)
Wolverine, a Sunset Overdrive sequel, and an arena based shooter (but not Ratchet and Clank, because they're now retired that series)

Santa Monica were working on 2 games (GoWR and Cory's new game)
Some side stuff for Atreus, and an RPG that taking cues from Game of Thrones.

(all the above is just a load of rubbish I decided to randomly type)

Also, you forgot that Bend Studios are making Days Gone 2.

(YES THEY ARE AND YOU ALL NEED TO BELIEVE THEY ARE SO WE CAN ENJOY ANOTHER MOTORCYCLE ZOMBIE GAME!)

Jimbo is dumb relying more on 1st party studios where alot of sales for ps5 was games through 3rd party studios. He needs to get out head out from he's a hole and buy sum kind of publisher or we'll known studio before there won't be any 3rd party studios left

Sounds like the typical Sony behavior.

Beginning of gen : "Third parties are the best, we love third parties, let's pay them to block games on PS and fill our lineup".

And then a few years later, when enough first party games are finally nearing completion : "Our first party line-up is awesome, first party power, here our next show won't even have third parties because we want to sell first party games".

Can't wait for their next show that will feature only 4 first party games and a guy playing the flute.

I'll be playing games while you play the internets. And then go Wii wii wii when you realize you didn't flush.

:p

For how horrible that flute guy was at least that game didn't turn out badly.

I know because I recently played it and the expansion.

Last edited:

Pop

Microsoft has forced them too. It sucks how this is playing out but it is what it is

This is great news If you enjoy their 3rd-person cinematic story games. If you prefer the 3rd-party games and content () then this is not good news. 3rd-party has been the backbone of PlayStation since day one.

T0minator

We believe in generations, right Jimmy???

That quote seems to always be misquoted, for some reason

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Having a generational transition was their goal. Keeping the same controller or UI experience wasn't their goal

T0minator

What does he mean?

He's saying PlayStation 1st party needs a successful game in each genre.

Racing: GT7

Action Adventure: God of War

Platformer: Astro, Ratchet

Open World: Ghost, Horizon, Spiderman

FPS: Destiny, Marathon maybe Concord

Sports: MLB

They need Fighting, JRPG, MMO, Survival Horror(TLOU?).

Acquisitions might help them get more genres. Nintendo has done a great job on their own

I would like from PlayStation more communication with the fan base the players. And bigger shows like E3 I don’t care if it has an live audience but a big show like 90 minutes full of games in development even the ones further away.They are ver quiet so many studios and nothing to see.Where are the AA type games ? where are the pixel monsters where are Motorstorm like fun arcade racers. where are tower defense games where are Sim city or the settlers like games?

Top Bottom