• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We will do what we are doing right now, which is to become less reliant on 3rd Party games, and to make more 1st Party games." - JIM RYAN

T0minator

A PlayStation Experience event at the end of the year needs to comes back. I've always wanted to go to one of those events and meet other fans and the PlayStation developers.

I could see next year being the perfect time to have an event like that. Showing off most of these games that we know are in development

The Last of Us Online Naughty Dog. 2024
Marathon - Bungie. 2024/2025
Wolverine - Insomniac 2024
Concord FPS- Firewalk 2024
New Espionage IP/MP - Bend Studios. 2024
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - Sucker Punch 2025
New IP Neil Druckmann - Naughty Dog 2025
New Cory Barlog Sci-fi IP - Santa Monica 2025
3D Action Platformer- Asobi 2025
God of War Egypt - Santa Monica 2027
TLOU Part 3 - Naughty Dog 2026
Horizon 3 Nemesis - Guerilla 2027
New IP - Bluepoint 2024
New IP - Housemarque 2025
New IP - Media Molecule 2026
New Fantasy MP - London Studios 2025
New Multiplayer IP - Insomniac 2025
Twisted Metal/Horror Adventure- Firesprite
Fairgame$ MP - Haven 2025
Horizon Co-op MP game - Guerrilla 2025
Helldivers 2 - Arrowhead 2024
Stellar Blade - Shift Up. 2024
Rise of the Ronin - Team Ninja. 2024
Death Stranding 2 - KojiPro 2024
New Uncharted game - ND/Visual Arts 2025

You think like Phil.
No not really. Gta/RDR 3rd party sells Wells on ps5

Fifa sells well on ps5

Hogwarts sells well on ps5

Resident evil sells well on ps5

There all pretty much 3rd party games and only a few from first party studios and if there gonna be gobbled up by Microsoft or tercent and sony does sod all and doesn't buy then they would pretty much be F**ked

Says the guy that has posted more than 20 thousands messages in less than 4 years.

Capture.png

Well your wrong about that.

Means that I win.

:)

Last edited:

solidus12

Sounds like the typical Sony behavior.

Beginning of gen : "Third parties are the best, we love third parties, let's pay them to block games on PS and fill our lineup".

And then a few years later, when enough first party games are finally nearing completion : "Our first party line-up is awesome, first party power, here our next show won't even have third parties because we want to sell first party games".

Can't wait for their next show that will feature only 4 first party games and a guy playing the flute.
Yeah yeah Xbox is winning, blah blah blah

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This is great news If you enjoy their 3rd-person cinematic story games. If you prefer the 3rd-party games and content () then this is not good news. 3rd-party has been the backbone of PlayStation since day one.
Third party is available on the competition

First party is the swing vote that gets PlayStation their market share

Even if only 1/10 of their install base buys a first party game and 10/10 buy cod, another first party game will get another 1/10 and so on and so forth. In the end those 10 could have gotten an Xbox but they all went PS because of a first party title

Woopah

Wait a minute there. The story for the last 30 years has been that PlayStation owes its success to having all the third parties, and that Nintendo fell off from grace because they had no third parties for many of their home systems before the Switch. I mean, copying Nintendo’s been Sony’s regular modus operandi for decades, but this one seems a bit contradictory.
In the PS1 days, the combined power of third party exclusives were more powerful than Nintendo's console output. The situation is different today because:

• The industry is moving more and more multiplatform
  • Nintendo's third party support is much improved from the N64
  • In some places (such as Asia) Nintendo's output is now more powerful than third parties' output combined
Sony is being very smart in differentiating itself through a stronger first party output.
What does he mean?
Some gets a 30% share from third party sale, but a much a higher share from a first party sale.

Therefore first party is more profitable

X-Wing

It's probably more to do with my lack of interest in a lot of their IP, but it really feels like their output has slowed down a ton.
2023 was the only bad year really...

Since PS5 launch:

2020:
- Spiderman Miles Morales
- Demon's Souls
- Sackboy

2021:
- Returnal
- Ratchet and Clank
- Destruction all stars
- Ghost of Tsushima DLC

2022:
- GT7
- Forbidden West
- God of War Ragnarok

Woopah

Since PS5 launch:

2020:
- Demon's Souls
- Sackboy

2021:
- Returnal
- Ratchet and Clank
- Destruction all stars
- Ghost of Tsushima DLC

2022:
- GT7
- Forbidden West
- God of War Ragnarok
Exactly, all publishers have an off year from time to time. 2024 will be better from Sony.

T0minator

In short, even more GaaS.
Truly a visionary.

Well, less than half of what they're working on is Grass. It's a nice mix in development that we know of.

Spider-Man 2 - Insomniac 2023
Marathon - Bungie. 2024
New IP - Bluepoint 2024

Perrott

Gold Member
A PlayStation Experience event at the end of the year needs to comes back. I've always wanted to go to one of those events and meet other fans and the PlayStation developers.

I could see next year being the perfect time to have an event like that. Showing off most of these games that we know are in development

Marathon - Bungie. 2024/2025
New IP - Bluepoint 2024
They weren't able to get their shit together just enough so they could have another AAA first-party game release this year alongside Spider-Man 2 and you think they'll be dropping nearly 10 first-party games next year, including new Naughty Dog, Bluepoint, Insomniac and Bend games? Yeah, no. That's not gonna happen, especially with the ongoing actors strike.

Since PS5 launch:

2020:
- Demon's Souls
- Sackboy

2021:
- Returnal
- Ratchet and Clank
- Destruction all stars
- Ghost of Tsushima DLC

2022:
- GT7
- Forbidden West
- God of War Ragnarok
Yeah, and to your point, there are even a few more of titles that you forgot to include:

• Astro's Playroom
  • Demon's Souls
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Destruction AllStars
  • Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Returnal
  • God of War: Ragnarök
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • The Last Of Us Part I
Pretty good cadence of releases, even with its delays (Helldivers 2 should have come out in 2022 originally) and likely even some cancellations (Toyama's game). Too bad that what followed was an extremely poor 2023 in terms of first-party, likely due to the reboot of Factions and Twisted Metal, as well as further delays of Helldivers 2.

Last edited:

Rockman33

What he means is they are spending over half their money on GAAS projects since that’s where most of their 3rd party revenue comes from.

Yes Jim, you are so much less reliant on 3rd party that FF7 Remake and FF7 Rebirth are every other FF title continues to stay on PlayStation as an "exclusive" and Square Enix constantly bitches about the sales never meeting expectations.

I forgot how full the last PlayStation Showcase was of 1st party mega showings with gameplay demos from Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. We even finally got a glimpse of Last of Us Factions. Oh wait... that was in my dreams.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to a big playstation showcase towards the end of the year that outlines first party plans for 2024.

Forget the third party money hat stuff, give us those amazing first party ips jimbo!

Woopah

Well, less than half of what they're working on is Grass. It's a nice mix in development that we know of.

Spider-Man 2 - Insomniac 2023
Marathon - Bungie. 2024
New IP - Bluepoint 2024
Where are you getting most of those release dates from?

Where are you getting most of those release dates from?
Pretty those are just his personal assumptions and speculation. Last of Us 3 will not be out that soon though that's for sure. Most likely will be released in 2028 before PS6 launch in the holiday just how TLOU came out in 2013 same year as PS4 launch and TLOU 2 in 2020 same year as PS5 launch.

Last edited:

Camreezie

More transparency with what the top talented studios are working on would be nice.

Naughty Dog - Factions
Sucker Punch - ???
Sony Santa Monica - ???
Insomniac - Spiderman 2 / Wolverine
Guerilla - ???
Housemarque - ???
Bend - ???
Bluepoint - ???
Arrowhead - Helldivers 2

Not exactly awe inspiring

Last edited:

RCU005

Is it me or does this generation Sony has been low on 1st party games? Also, there hasn’t really been but a few built-from-the-ground-up PS5 games.

Another thing that worries me about this gen, and they had it on their corporate slides, is that they wanted to invest ~60% on live service games and only ~40% on single player/regular games; when they used to invest like ~80% on the PS4.

Last edited:
More transparency with what the top talented studios are working on would be nice.

Naughty Dog - Factions
Sucker Punch - ???
Sony Santa Monica - ???
Guerilla - ???
Housemarque - ???
Bend - ???
Bluepoint - ???

Yep, this is the issue that I have with Sony this gen. They are keeping mum for so long and we are about to hit the halfway point. It's really just annoying and exhausting now.

I believe Sucker Punch is doing Ghost of Tshusima 2 though it was leaked via LinkedIn job description or something.

Naughty Dog is doing like e different things. Factions, New IP, TLOU 3.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Yep, this is the issue that I have with Sony this gen. They are keeping mum for so long and we are about to hit the halfway point. It's really just annoying and exhausting now.

I believe Sucker Punch is doing Ghost of Tshusima 2 though it was leaked via LinkedIn job description or something.
To be clear I only listed what has been confirmed

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Naughty Dog - Factions
Sucker Punch - ???
Sony Santa Monica - ???
Guerilla - ???
Housemarque - ???
Bend - ???
Bluepoint - ???
Arrowhead - Helldivers 2

All them from their western devs……this is sad as fuck. My day getting excited for Sony first party games is officially over.

T0minator

When's Guerilla going to announce their new project Cry of War? They only have Call of Duty for 10 more years and the clock is ticking

After this year they won't focus on CoD anymore they'll heavily market their own Marathon and Concord FPS games as well as continuing Destiny for awhile longer.

Concord and Marathon will be their big FPS focus next year and beyond. From what it seems

After this year they won't focus on CoD anymore they'll heavily market their own Marathon and Concord FPS games as well as continuing Destiny for awhile longer.

Concord and Marathon will be their big FPS focus next year and beyond. From what it seems
What is the difference between Concord and Marathon? I know Marathon is a Bungie game. Is Concord Bungie too? I don't remember.

T0minator

Pretty those are just his personal assumptions and speculation. Last of Us 3 will not be out that soon though that's for sure. Most likely will be released in 2028 before PS6 launch in the holiday just how TLOU came out in 2013 same year as PS4 launch and TLOU 2 in 2020 same year as PS5 launch.
Those dates are the dates I'm assuming they'll be showing off those games, not necessarily the release dates. A few of those like The Last of Us Online I can see them revealing and releasing within a short time span

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So you have decided to choose the beta life I see not the sigma. :p
for real, been eyeing deals on 4080 and 5800x3d. That's the cheapest I can upgrade my pc right now. But to be honest, only very few couple games destroy my 3080 but it is suffering lol.
Also, how is ram doing nowadays? I have 16gb 3200mhz memory. Would I benefit from 32gb in the case of going 5800x3d/4080 ?
I don't think so ?

Jimbo about to purchase Square Enix so they dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives.
I hate the way the industry is going, but after MS two giant aquisitions that stole alot of multiplatform IPs from Playstation players, i hope Sony follow up with some smart aquisitions that dosent involve paying premium for a single studio to keep them self published, like Bungie. Dumbest purchase in PS history.
Won't be as dumb once other Sony MP games don't turn out like shit because of the experience Bungie brings.

Plus I do imagine that there is a time limit on this "vassal state" thing and eventually they'll start making PlayStation exclusive games.

Robbinhood

Banned
Sadly they have no choice but to acquire acquire acquire thanks to MS. Square first and a big publisher next. I love what I’m hearing about expanding existing teams, Jimnbo gets it.

The amount of studios they use to have won’t cut it with longer dev times so expanding teams is very smart.

Last edited:

Woopah

Naughty Dog - Factions
Sucker Punch - ???
Sony Santa Monica - ???
Guerilla - ???
Housemarque - ???
Bend - ???
Bluepoint - ???
Arrowhead - Helldivers 2

Most of those studios released games I'm the last 2-3 years. I don't think it's that surprising that they are not ready to show what they're working on yet.

for real, been eyeing deals on 4080 and 5800x3d. That's the cheapest I can upgrade my pc right now. But to be honest, only very few couple games destroy my 3080 but it is suffering lol.
Also, how is ram doing nowadays? I have 16gb 3200mhz memory. Would I benefit from 32gb in the case of going 5800x3d/4080 ?
I don't think so ?
I got a White DDR5 Kingston Fury 64GB Stick Set for $240 https://amzn.to/3PS82eF pretty good I'd say. But I do a lot of rendering for video and 3d software as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom