• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We will do what we are doing right now, which is to become less reliant on 3rd Party games, and to make more 1st Party games." - JIM RYAN

Woopah

💯 agree. PlayStation Studios has pretty much said the exact same thing - they don't want to announce the games too early.

I do think they will announce a lot of games in their big 2024 showcase and show those games, in their full awesome glory, running on a PS5 Pro. And most of those games would be ready to release soon.

Horizon's multiplayer has been in the works since 2019. Naughty Dog's next game (most likely TLOU 3) should be 60-70% done. Shannon (Dina's actress) recently teased it; they were doing voice acting. Cory's new game at SSM has been in the works since 2019 and should be ready to release in 2025. Same goes for Team Asobi, Bluepoint, Firesprite, etc.

We may see Ghost of Tsushima 2 in 2025 with a 2026 release date though.
I guess it depends on how much those teams have grown. I was basing my logic on the fact we haven't heard from Bluepoint or SP since 2020, while ND, GG and SSM have released games since then.

John Wick

Jimbo about to purchase Square Enix so they dont need to pay for 3rd party exclusives.
I hate the way the industry is going, but after MS two giant aquisitions that stole alot of multiplatform IPs from Playstation players, i hope Sony follow up with some smart aquisitions that dosent involve paying premium for a single studio to keep them self published, like Bungie. Dumbest purchase in PS history.
Bungie isn't the dumbest purchase at all.
Bungie will pay for itself within a few years. The expertise and size of the studio is exactly what Sony needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird flex when 2023 has had fuck all in terms of first party outside of the yearly Show roster update. Maybe I am just forgetting something?

vivftp

Weird flex when 2023 has had fuck all in terms of first party outside of the yearly Show roster update. Maybe I am just forgetting something?

2023 from first party included:

Horizon Call of the Mountain
GT7 PSVR2 version
Horizon Burning Shores
MLB 23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Firewall Ultra

And next month will add Spider-Man 2

We know some software got pushed out of this year, notably Helldivers 2 and quite possibly Stellar Blade. Additional software may have also been pushed out of this year, since we know TLOU Online was supposed to get a reveal but ND announced they needed more time.

2023 was definitely a slower year where the pandemic delays caught up to their lineup. 2024 is already shaping up to be a better year and there's a LOT of content that could potentially be added to the 2024 lineup. My suspicions are that 2024 will be the year when the more heavily delayed games from the pandemic catch up to the lesser delayed games from the pandemic and we wind up with an unusually strong year worth of content.

They are, in a sense, faced with relatively similar conditions Nintendo had to operate within more than 10-15 years ago: The real threat of receiving less 3rd party support.

StereoVsn

We need some Japanese studios. Come on, Jimbo, fund some JRPGs!

I guess they could try to buy SE or Sega, but I doubt it would happen and I really hate all the consolidation happening. Fuck MS and Phil for triggering the whole thing.

vivftp

They are, in a sense, faced with relatively similar conditions Nintendo had to operate within more than 10-15 years ago: The real threat of receiving less 3rd party support.

While Sony has been growing their first party, they haven't been neglecting third party relations. They've been forming new relationships and are receiving support from newer sources like miHoYo (Genshin, Honkai), Netease (Project Mugen) and Cygames (Granblue Fantasy Relink, Project Awakening). The latter might just be a matter of putting the games on PS5 by default and there might not be a specific deal in place, but they're working to pick up new third party partners, even as they're losing some formerly third party content.

Woopah

I would say they are getting less exclusive third party support. I don't think they will get less third party support overall (unless we count Bethesda and ABK).

2023 from first party included:

Horizon Call of the Mountain
GT7 PSVR2 version
Horizon Burning Shores
MLB 23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Firewall Ultra

And next month will add Spider-Man 2

We know some software got pushed out of this year, notably Helldivers 2 and quite possibly Stellar Blade. Additional software may have also been pushed out of this year, since we know TLOU Online was supposed to get a reveal but ND announced they needed more time.

2023 was definitely a slower year where the pandemic delays caught up to their lineup. 2024 is already shaping up to be a better year and there's a LOT of content that could potentially be added to the 2024 lineup. My suspicions are that 2024 will be the year when the more heavily delayed games from the pandemic catch up to the lesser delayed games from the pandemic and we wind up with an unusually strong year worth of content.
Fun fact - MBL 23 The Show is a Game Pass title. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/mlb-the-show-23

When you boot it up, you see a giant PS Studio logo. It's quite hilarious. Death Stranding is also on Game Pass, but that one is even more weird. It's a Sony owned IP but 505 Games published the PC versions. I am not sure how this or how Sony was okay with giving certain rights of the IP to the 505 Games publisher. This industry is all over the place.

Killjoy-NL

Fun fact - MBL 23 The Show is a Game Pass title. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/mlb-the-show-23

When you boot it up, you see a giant PS Studio logo. It's quite hilarious. Death Stranding is also on Game Pass, but that one is even more weird. It's a Sony owned IP but 505 Games published the PC versions. I am not sure how this or how Sony was okay with giving certain rights of the IP to the 505 Games publisher. This industry is all over the place.
Lol tbf in a way, it's free marketing for Playstation on Xbox's own platform.

Last edited:
Lol tbf in a way, it's free marketing for Sony on Xbox's own platform.
Ehh it's a double edge sword. One way its "free" marketing the other is they get to play it at a much cheaper price and experience the full thing on a comptetitors platform. My question is, how did this even happen? Or why did Sony allow it or if it was something out of their control.

EDIT - Apperently, it was MLB's own decision to put it on Xbox and then allow it on Game Pass. Sony did not have the choice.

I guess they got tired of it being exclusive since 2008 and wanted too bring in more exposure and money to the table.

Last edited:

vivftp

We need some Japanese studios. Come on, Jimbo, fund some JRPGs!

I guess they could try to buy SE or Sega, but I doubt it would happen and I really hate all the consolidation happening. Fuck MS and Phil for triggering the whole thing.

I think Sony acquiring Square is an inevitability at this point and could happen very soon. Sony's spent many years and a lot of money to associate their IP with PlayStation and they'd want to lock down that investment lest someone else come along and snatch Square up. Sony also likes to acquire companies that they've worked with for many years (ie. most of their acquisitions are XDEV partners), and they've had a very long relationship with Square, so there's not likely to be a culture clash. Also, Squares stock being down as of late just makes them a more tempting target for acquisition.

SIE wants to plug gaps in their lineup and Square does that by offering life service games/experience, mobile games/experience, RPGs and more Japanese developed content. Not to mention Squares content and IP can be utilized between various Sony Group divisions like SIE, Pictures, Music and Anime.

It's their best one stop shop. SIE has been hiring for M&A roles, including one recently relating to integrating companies into SIE. We don't know for certain if that hire was to replace someone else who left such a role or if it's a new role, but if it's a new role then that is notable because they apparently didn't need that when integrating all those other acquisitions into SIE, including Bungie. That could be a sign that they're interested in a larger target, and Square is the most likely one from where I stand.

On the plus side, I do feel that if they acquire Square then they might place them directly under SIE alongside PlayStation Studios and Bungie, and allow them to continue to publish on other platforms. That said, I can also see them locking down certain content, just like they have been with their exclusive deals.

Killjoy-NL

Ehh it's a double edge sword. One way its "free" marketing the other is they get to play it at a much cheaper price and experience the full thing on a comptetitors platform. My question is, how did this even happen? Or why did Sony allow it or if it was something out of their control.
True, but it does put Playstation in the back of the Xbox userbase mind.

It is weird though. Probably one of those loopholes with publishing deals.
Then again, it isn't much different from putting older titles on PC. The primary purpose is to entice people to buy into the Playstation-ecosystem.

vivftp

Yes, I know.

That's just the way things work out, it's no crazier than Destiny 2 or Marathon being published on Xbox despite Bungie being a SIE studio. Or Minecraft and its variants being published on PlayStation despite being an Xbox studio.

Regarding Death Stranding, back in 2016 when Kojima would have signed the partnership with SIE, they had no real PC ambitions so they were probably fine with letting Kojima find another publisher for PC. Their ambitions for PC didn't materialize until 2019 when Jim Ryan took over.

Regarding MLB, we don't know how things were discussed behind closed doors between MLB and SIE and how it was decided that the versions on other platforms wouldn't be published by SIE.

Killjoy-NL

... Why in the world would you think that a first party PlayStation developed game would be Xbox exclusive?
Because I thought I read it a few years ago?

I'm European, so couldn't care less about MLB. If I was wrong, it's because I glanced over something and misremembered.
That's why it was a question.

I was also talking about DS when talking about promo for PlayStation.

Last edited:

vivftp

Because I thought I read it a few years ago?

I'm European, so couldn't care less about MLB. If I was wrong, it's because I glanced over something and misremembered.
That's why it was a question.

I was also talking about DS when talking about promo for PlayStation.

Strange when just a few minutes prior you said:

"Lol tbf in a way, it's free marketing for Playstation on Xbox's own platform."

That's why it was so odd that you would then comment that you thought MLB was an Xbox exclusive. SIE would never develop a game only for it to skip their own platform and be exclusive to a competitors platform.

Killjoy-NL

Strange when just a few minutes prior you said:

"Lol tbf in a way, it's free marketing for Playstation on Xbox's own platform."

That's why it was so odd that you would then comment that you thought MLB was an Xbox exclusive. SIE would never develop a game only for it to skip their own platform and be exclusive to a competitors platform.
Yes, and in the post after that I said that I was talking about Death Stranding.

Last edited:

vivftp

Yes, and in the post after that I said that I was talking about Death Stranding.

I wasn't addressing your comments regarding Death Stranding. In that very same post after you said you were referring to Death Stranding you also said:

"btw, I thought MLB was Xbox exclusive anyway?"

Killjoy-NL

I wasn't addressing your comments regarding Death Stranding. In that very same post after you said you were referring to Death Stranding you also said:

"btw, I thought MLB was Xbox exclusive anyway?"
Yes, with a question mark. And I already explained where that came from, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

vivftp

Yes, with a question mark. And I already explained where that came from, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

I was questioning your peculiar question since just a few minutes earlier you acknowledged that MLB is a Sony game. Those two comments made no sense and I questioned it. Ever since I've been trying to explain to you why I was questioning it.

Woopah

I think Sony acquiring Square is an inevitability at this point and could happen very soon. Sony's spent many years and a lot of money to associate their IP with PlayStation and they'd want to lock down that investment lest someone else come along and snatch Square up. Sony also likes to acquire companies that they've worked with for many years (ie. most of their acquisitions are XDEV partners), and they've had a very long relationship with Square, so there's not likely to be a culture clash. Also, Squares stock being down as of late just makes them a more tempting target for acquisition.

SIE wants to plug gaps in their lineup and Square does that by offering life service games/experience, mobile games/experience, RPGs and more Japanese developed content. Not to mention Squares content and IP can be utilized between various Sony Group divisions like SIE, Pictures, Music and Anime.

It's their best one stop shop. SIE has been hiring for M&A roles, including one recently relating to integrating companies into SIE. We don't know for certain if that hire was to replace someone else who left such a role or if it's a new role, but if it's a new role then that is notable because they apparently didn't need that when integrating all those other acquisitions into SIE, including Bungie. That could be a sign that they're interested in a larger target, and Square is the most likely one from where I stand.

On the plus side, I do feel that if they acquire Square then they might place them directly under SIE alongside PlayStation Studios and Bungie, and allow them to continue to publish on other platforms. That said, I can also see them locking down certain content, just like they have been with their exclusive deals.
I can't see a full acquisition happening, but I can see SE strengthening their partnerships with Sony and Nintendo by doing some joint ventures with them.

Killjoy-NL

I was questioning your peculiar question since just a few minutes earlier you acknowledged that MLB is a Sony game. Those two comments made no sense and I questioned it. Ever since I've been trying to explain to you why I was questioning it.
Then it's just a misunderstanding and not worth the back and forth.

I didn't even realize MLB was a Sony game. Just a mistake.

vivftp

I can't see a full acquisition happening, but I can see SE strengthening their partnerships with Sony and Nintendo by doing some joint ventures with them.

Always a possibility as well. SIE has shown they're willing to invest in companies. They've invested in From Software, Epic and Devolver.

Either way, it does seem that Sony Group itself is preparing for the possibility of larger acquisitions, hence the plan to spin off the financial division. Whether SIE would be the one to make that acquisition is another matter, of course. Should be fun to see how things play out.

Then it's just a misunderstanding and not worth the back and forth.

I didn't even realize MLB was a Sony game. Just a mistake.

🫂

I believe that when they made the deal for Death Stranding, Kojima retained the PC rights as Sony at the time was not interested in publishing on PC. They just wanted to make sure the game didn't come out on Xbox.

I think if Death Stranding were to be developed today, Sony would have locked down the PC rights.

Like others have said, the MLB decision wasn't up to them. MLB wanted to get that Xbox revenue. Especially with Microsoft willing to pay for the game upfront to be on GamePass. It also explains why it's not on PC. There is no pressure from MLB to put it on PC because Valve isn't paying for the game like Microsoft did.

Killjoy-NL

I really like you as a poster because you'll flat-out say that you've made a mistake or were wrong about something.

Rare quality in a human let alone a human on the internet.
Lol thnx.
But honestly, I assume we're all adults here and being wrong is just part of the game.

Win some, lose some.🤷🏾‍♂️

Woopah

I believe that when they made the deal for Death Stranding, Kojima retained the PC rights as Sony at the time was not interested in publishing on PC. They just wanted to make sure the game didn't come out on Xbox.

I think if Death Stranding were to be developed today, Sony would have locked down the PC rights.

Like others have said, the MLB decision wasn't up to them. MLB wanted to get that Xbox revenue. Especially with Microsoft willing to pay for the game upfront to be on GamePass. It also explains why it's not on PC. There is no pressure from MLB to put it on PC because Valve isn't paying for the game like Microsoft did.
MLB is also on Switch, not sure if Nintendo paid for that.

Interesting. I wonder what will happen to Death Stranding 2 and if it will follow similar suite. It would be very strange to not have the sequel on PC or Game Pass again. Does Kojima still have PC rights?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh, I was talking about Death Stranding. Sorry for the confusion.

btw, I thought MLB was Xbox exclusive anyway?

Death Standing sounds like a case of Kojima having the bargaining power. Got the game on PC through another publisher, apparently has the rights for film adaptation. It’s being produced by Kojima Productions and Hammer Studios who are financing the picture.

It’s a shit show imo, can’t believe Sony bent over backwards and gave him an engine and the money to make a post apocalyptic Uber delivery game and they barely own the thing. Seems to me the only thing they own is the console rights. And people want to talk about how great Shawn Layden is…

Interesting. I wonder what will happen to Death Stranding 2 and if it will follow similar suite. It would be very strange to not have the sequel on PC or Game Pass again. Does Kojima still have PC rights?

We'll only know when we know.

505 could have franchise rights on PC or just one game. I do believe they had the rights to the director's cut edition as well though.

Just one of those things that we aren't privy to because we don't see the contracts.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Death Stranding 2 will be on PC but won't be on Game Pass this time.

The only reason DS2 came to Game Pass is because Sony did not publish it on PC, 505 did. Sony didn't have PlayStation PC LLC at that time. Now they do have a PC publishing arm and regularly publishes PS games on PC, they will publish DS2 on PC.

If Xbox wants it on Game Pass, they will have to deal with PC, and Sony isn't putting a PS on Game Pass now on their own.

Killjoy-NL

Death Standing sounds like a case of Kojima having the bargaining power. Got the game on PC through another publisher, apparently has the rights for film adaptation. It’s being produced by Kojima Productions and Hammer Studios who are financing the picture.

It’s a shit show imo, can’t believe Sony bent over backwards and gave him an engine and the money to make a post apocalyptic Uber delivery game and they barely own the thing. Seems to me the only thing they own is the console rights. And people want to talk about how great Shawn Layden is…
Probably has to do with the mutual respect. Kojima was a Playstation fanboy and did a lot of great things for Playstation.

It is kinda weird, but it was probably a big thank you for all he has done.
And we can’t forget how he got screwed over by Konami. He could use the support at the time.
The guy basically got stripped of everything he has worked for.

Last edited:

I think Sony really wanted to be in bed with Kojima post-divorce from Konami. And that makes a lot of sense. I don't think they really knew the game they were getting though and from what I understand it's lack of success and it's cost drove a lot of bad blood with internal studios, which is probably why Sony didn't write a blank check going forward.

I do think Sony has probably tried to buy Kojima Productions, but the boat there has probably sailed at least for now.

Kojima Productions actually has a lot of potential, so in theory, it made sense to try and have a strong relationship there.

Probably has to do with the mutual respect. Kojima was a Playstation fanboy and did a lot of great things for Playstation.

Wasn't Kojima also claiming that Stadia denied his dream game? And the exclusive game his making with Xbox is only possible because Microsoft is allowing him to be 100% creative? There is some weirdness going on behind the scenes with Kojima.

Here is what I am going to reference - https://www.levelup.com/en/news/749188/Announcement-in-sight-Xbox-marketing-team-visits-Hideo-Kojima#:~:text=According to Hideo Kojima, the,technological limitations of his time.

According to Hideo Kojima, the game he is working on with Xbox is the one he always wanted to make but couldn't due to various reasons, including technological limitations of his time.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Death Stranding 2 will be on PC but won't be on Game Pass this time.

The only reason DS2 came to Game Pass is because Sony did not publish it on PC, 505 did. Sony didn't have PlayStation PC LLC at that time. Now they do have a PC publishing arm and regularly publishes PS games on PC, they will publish DS2 on PC.

Don’t think you’re right, I believe Sony doesn’t own the full publishing rights.

And we can’t forget how he got screwed over by Konami. He could use the support at the time.
The guy basically got stripped of everything he has worked for.

Kojima doesn’t give two fucks about PlayStation.

Killjoy-NL

Wasn't Kojima also claiming that Stadia denied his dream game? And the exclusive game his making with Xbox is only possible because Microsoft is allowing him to be 100% creative? There is some weirdness going on behind the scenes with Kojima.

Here is what I am going to reference - https://www.levelup.com/en/news/749188/Announcement-in-sight-Xbox-marketing-team-visits-Hideo-Kojima#:~:text=According to Hideo Kojima, the,technological limitations of his time.
Ultimately, it's all business and everybody wants a piece of the pie, Sony included.

But I do think that a lot has to do with the respect he earned.

I think Sony really wanted to be in bed with Kojima post-divorce from Konami. And that makes a lot of sense. I don't think they really knew the game they were getting though and from what I understand it's lack of success and it's cost drove a lot of bad blood with internal studios, which is probably why Sony didn't write a blank check going forward.

I do think Sony has probably tried to buy Kojima Productions, but the boat there has probably sailed at least for now.

Kojima Productions actually has a lot of potential, so in theory, it made sense to try and have a strong relationship there.
Is it a fact that Death Stranding was considered a failure? I am pretty sure it was well recieved among critics. Sony gave my publication a review copy of the Director's Cut and I gave it a 10/10. I was going in with the expectation that I would dislike the game but it turned out better than I thought. Although, I can see how some people might not like it. Dunno, for me it was one of my most favorite games I've played in recent years.

I don't believe Sony considers Death Stranding a failure. Otherwise, there would not have been seen a sequel lol. So I am not sure where you are getting that idea from. Here is my/our review of the game if you are interested in what I had to say about it. https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/death-stranding-directors-cut-review-a-masterpiece/

Death Stranding 2 is one of my most anticipated games along with Wolverine for the PS5.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Don’t think you’re right, I believe Sony doesn’t own the full publishing rights.
For the first game and for the PC publishing rights. Sony owns the IP; they just didn't publish the game on PC. So Xbox could make a deal with 505 for PC Game Pass, just like they could do the Game Pass deal with MLB for The Show.

Thirty7ven

Banned
For the first game and for the PC publishing rights. Sony owns the IP; they just didn't publish the game on PC. So Xbox could make a deal with 505 for PC Game Pass, just like they could do the Game Pass deal with MLB for The Show.

Let’s hope you’re right because I look at the whole publishing situation of DS and movie adaptation as a massive sucker moment from PlayStation.

Isn’t he even using Decima for the Xbox game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom