• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

I assume there should (hopefully) be some visual improvements and some cool bits with the gamepad.

And I'm still a bit sceptical about achievements. And besides the 1 or 2 big mp shooters a year, how important is the friends list and what not?

But I guess co-op is pretty big these days.

Never said this was the best of plans ;)

But yeah this eps wasn't too grating. I mean, giantbomb are usually way worst about Nintendo, but at least they are funny.

They really should get John Davis on. His views are pretty much always spot on ( predicted wii and iTunes App Store were gonna be huge. )

I'm scared to listen to rebel fm though.

I'd love for John to come back. He's pretty no-nonsense and more often than not mocked Garnett whenever he'd go off on one of his dumb tangents.

Curufinwe

Garnett - I already said that I'm not personally too interested in the Wii U. But the fact that you all on the podcast agree with me in spirit doesn't mean that the arguments you made on the podcast were at all in good faith or remotely sensible.

The stuff you guys focused on was just so stupid and trivial. You seriously spent 30 minutes of the podcast essentially focusing on meaningless crap like the fact it came with 1 controller (even though every console launch for more than a decade was the same, and the Wii U's controller is an order of magnitude more complex than most, and everyone has extra controllers anyway) and doesn't play optical media (even though everyone who wants to do so already can do so, so it would be a waste of money licensing it on Nintendo's part). You guys even complained that the Wii U is getting games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops II pretending like it was pointless for them to be there - but if those games weren't there you would have been even more vocal.

Look, people don't have to agree or disagree with your overall opinions in order to be able to vehemently disagree with the jaded, cynical, hyperbolic, and nonsensical ways you tried to describe your opinions. Instead of getting so defensive by making accusations that people here are complaining simply because they disagree with you (they're not), maybe go back and listen to the episode so you can understand what we're saying to avoid it in the future?

I couldn't agree more. I'm only really interested in the Wii U because of Bayonetta 2, but it deserves a fair shake. This was more like the Fox News coverage of the DNC.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People are entitled to their opinions. There's no point in trying to massage opinions or acceptable topics in order to satisfy the audience.

But the main issue with this episode, as I saw it, was that all three people had an opinion that, in the aggregate, was quite incongruent with what I perceieve to be the general reaction to the Wii U conferences.

In the online community, I saw a lot of surprising enthusiasm for the Wii U's final messaging. And a lot of people who were firmly on the fence found themselves swept up in pre-order mania. It's not just "fanboys who buy anything Nintendo" either. Wii U is making a fair splash in the enthusiast gaming community.

Then we hear the episode and it's a bag of pessimism, lack of enthusiasm, and "Oh Nintendo.." kind of talk. Which is... Fine. That's your opinion. But that's an old story when it comes to the Wii U. No mention at all about how these conferences turned the whole thing around for a lot of people.

Probably could have used at least one person on there who is enthused.. Just to get that definitive "post-Wii U conference" topic covered from all angles. But like I said: no point in massaging opinions. If 3 people come on and 3 don't like it, then that's the response.. But the community might not like it.

John Davison also predicted WiiU will flop on the E3 2011 WC podcast.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68867/weekend-confirmed-e3-2011-special

John speaks about it @ the 21 minute mark. "There is a bunch of other things out there that already does it better." Boom.

Did he define what flop meant? Compared to the Wii's sales, yes, I have no doubt it will flop hard. Compared to other current gen consoles? Doubtful. I'm sure Nintendo is targeting the hardcore more because they know people like my dad will never in a million years buy another gaming console. Wii sold a ton to people like my dad, but I'm not sure how beneficial to Nintendo that is when they buy nothing with it or later. Getting Bayonetta is a good start.

hank_tree

Just listened to the episode. Not sure what all the fuss was about. It would have been nice to have an opinion that was the opposite of Garnett/Andrea/Jeffs for the sake of discussion but obviously there was a shortage of people to available to appear on the show this week.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im a big fan of the show but this one reeked of people being biased and uninformed.

"The WiiU doesnt have any especial games people care about!"

"Hey it has Bayonetta 2"

"Who cares about that game!"

I mean, I get skepticism, but when youre complaining thats its not enough like the Wii and not enough like PS360 ....

Im a big fan of the show but this one reeked of people being biased and uninformed.

"Hey it has Bayonetta 2"

I mean, I get skepticism, but when youre complaining thats its not enough like the Wii and not enough like PS360 ....

The sequel got cancelled for a reason.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Oh god the SMB U segment, jeeesus

If youre a big Mario fan, you play it for the levels and platforming, not because the art direction is similar to the previous one.

Also, its OK for whatever sequel of the week to be the exact same as the one from the year before, but Nintendo games get 0 wiggle room in the critics eyes. Annoying.

If youre a big Mario fan, you play it for the levels and platforming, not because the art direction is similar to the previous one.

Also, its OK for whatever sequel of the week to be the exact same as the one from the year before, but Nintendo games get 0 wiggle room in the critics eyes. Annoying.

The world isn't out to get Nintendo. Relax. They're people with opinions. They state them. If you sense an agenda, perhaps you're too heavily invested in a corporation.

Raging Spaniard

The world isn't out to get Nintendo. Relax. They're people with opinions. They state them. If you sense an agenda, perhaps you're too heavily invested in a corporation.

But Im not invested at all, I own all 3 consoles and have most of my games on PS3, maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions on other peoples agendas ;)

I just dont think theyre as informed as they should be and are not willing to look at the other sides of an issue often enough, when Kanneta (sp?) is involved, he usually does that for a lot of the discussion on the show.

Which is?

Sega restructuring its western business to maximize profit. Bayonetta 1 wasn't a hit (critically yes, sales no). So by all accounts it was one of the franchises that didnt survive the restructuring.

But Im not invested at all, I own all 3 consoles and have most of my games on PS3, maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions on other peoples agendas ;)

I just dont think theyre as informed as they should be and are not willing to look at the other sides of an issue often enough, when Kanneta (sp?) is involved, he usually does that for a lot of the discussion on the show.

Having Jeff there definitely would have provided more opinion. Not sure it would have been more positive, but he does love to love things. I think they're quite informed. Andrea stated she's played the Wii on several occasions and thought some of the games sucked when played with the gamepad. Notably Mario. They also mentioned the price of the stand alone controller in Japan. 180 dollar. That;s insanely stupid. As is including a pack-in game that is built around offline multiplayer but the system only includes one controller. They have valid issues with it.

After finishing up the eps. Wasn't as bad as some of y'all are making it out to be.

They did give the counterpoint to most of their issues.

And I think the hdmi dig thing was more about nintendo going HD instead of it actually having a hdmi cable.

Do remember podcasts are usually not recorded, scripted, rehearsed, and lets say Garnett isn't the best talker around (but when he's on it, he's ON IT).

And andrea is fine if you put it in your mindset that she's just a hot dudebro :p

seady

Listening to them and compare to other gaming podcast that talks about Wii U shows how out of touch they are in what the gaming community wants.

"OMG I need a DVD player in my Wii U!" when no one gives a crap about having another DVD player anymore. "Nothing is good for launch!@#@" when new Mario Monster Hunter Dragon Quest Bata Call of Duty ZombiU Rayman NintendoLands etc all coming at on launch date.

Curufinwe

They have valid issues with it.

The Wii U only coming with one controller and coming in multiple SKUs are not valid issues. The price of the standalone controller in Japan is irrelevant. No games supporting two controllers will even be available in the launch window.

Speak for yourselves guys. I'm pretty pissed the Wii U isn't coming with a DVD/Bluray/HD-DVD player and will not be buying one for that reason.

The Wii U only coming with one controller and coming in multiple SKUs are not valid issues. The price of the standalone controller in Japan is irrelevant. No games supporting two controllers will even be available in the launch window.

They're still valid complaints. As is the complaint that the stupid thing can't play disc-based movies. I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm still able to discern shitty Nintendo from quality Nintendo. I'd say the Nintendo fan victim complex surprises me, but it never does.

Mrbob

John Davison also predicted WiiU will flop on the E3 2011 WC podcast.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68867/weekend-confirmed-e3-2011-special

John speaks about it @ the 21 minute mark. "There is a bunch of other things out there that already does it better." Boom.

Well, John isn't always right. He also predicted the flopping of the PC game market. As in tune as he is in the mobile space, he never understood how the PC market had been, and currently is, evolving.

jacksrb

I am not sure what you guys want. Those three people shot the shit off the cuff about their feelings and reactions regarding their announcements and the system's prospects. I don't want people to feel like they have to be excited when they are not.

However, I agree that if I was on the panel I would have countered a lot of their complaints as non-important in the grand scheme. And as always, a dissenting opinion would have made for a better dynamic.

Made for a sort of crappy episode for someone as excited about Wii U as I am - but I am glad that they were honest.

Well, John isn't always right. He also predicted the flopping of the PC game market. As in tune as he is in the mobile space, he never understood how the PC market had been, and currently is, evolving.

Actually John was ahead of the curve when it came to online browser-based and Facebook-style gaming.

But weren't those issues dismissed after they were said?

'everyone already has like 5 wiimotes'

'systems have always had 1 controller recently'

Don't really see the problem here. They weren't doing a formal debate, just group discussion.

Massa

Speaking of Wii Remotes it seems that the Wii U is only compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, not the standard Wii controller.

Fjordson

But weren't those issues dismissed after they were said?

'everyone already has like 5 wiimotes'

'systems have always had 1 controller recently'

Don't really see the problem here. They weren't doing a formal debate, just group discussion.
They were. Andrea herself basically said "to be fair, most systems only come with one controller." they weren't outraged or dooming the Wii U to failure because of that. Really don't see anything they said here as that big of a deal...

Speaking of Wii Remotes it seems that the Wii U is only compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, not the standard Wii controller.

What? If true then **** Nintendo. You're the first I've heard say that though. It flies completely in the face of what Reggie said about people having Wiimotes already so there's no need to include one in the box.

"Hey it has Bayonetta 2"

And you're over reacting. The segment was bad but your complaints are irrational.
For Bayonetta 2 they said
1) They're happy it's getting a sequel
2) It probably wouldn't exist without Nintendo
3) It probably won't sell a lot, just like Bayonetta 1 and most of Platinum's stuff.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

You seem a little too eager to call any criticism of this podcast "fanboyism".

Mentioning the expanded storage options of the console for all of 2 seconds and then spending five minutes talking about how shitty the storage of the system is (while using the 360 as example of GOOD storage) reeks of an agenda to me. Sorry.

And I said it before, but as far as "fanboyism" goes, I don't intend to pick up a Wii U anywhere near launch. My excitement for the console is about on par with their's. I'm just annoyed at how much they had to stretch to come up with negative things to say. If you're going to say their take on the storage, SKUs, third-party ports and disc-based media playback are merely opinions, you can at least admit they are stupid ones.

You seem a little too eager to call any criticism of this podcast "fanboyism".

Mentioning the expanded storage options of the console for all of 2 seconds and then spending five minutes talking about how shitty the storage of the system is (while using the 360 as example of GOOD storage) reeks of an agenda to me. Sorry.

And I said it before, but as far as "fanboyism" goes, I don't intend to pick up a Wii U anywhere near launch. My excitement for the console is about on par with their's. I'm just annoyed at how much they had to stretch to come up with negative things to say. If you're going to say their take on the storage, SKUs, third-party ports and disc-based media playback are merely opinions, you can at least admit they are stupid ones.

How is that an agenda? Microsoft offers a tard pack and 250 or 320 gig option. Nintendo offers two tard packs, but also push downloadable games heavily. They're right to mock them for that. Sony's the only one without a tard pack, but apparently that's about to change.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
How is that an agenda? Microsoft offers a tard pack and 250 or 320 gig option. Nintendo offers two tard packs, but also push downloadable games heavily. They're right to mock them for that.

Everyone these days has SD cards, flash drives or external HDDs. The WC crew knows this.

sikkinixx

I'm a huge Mario fan and I think the NSB series is the worst of the bunch. Terrible art design, the same one song repeated ad nauseam and boring levels that feels like I'm playing the exact same game on a different system each time (DS - Wii - 3DS). And the co-op is basically just a complete fuckfest. Having played the game at PAX, it still feels like the same bloody game yet again.

Everyone these days has SD cards, flash drives or external HDDs. The WC crew knows this.

Why is that Nintendo's go-to move now? "Everyone has a DS charger, so why should we give you another?"

"Everyone has a Wiimote now, so why should we give you another?"

"Everyone has SD cards no, so why should we provide you with storage?"

How accepting would we be if every company thought this way?

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that you can just plug in an external HDD as well, or was that 8-4?

Weekend Confirmed mentioned it to. They were very fair with their opinions.

I hated the DS one and didn't care for the Wii but NSMB2 is fantastic.

I'm out of this thread. I think most things will be countered with me having an agenda/being too invested in a corporation.

Just wish the weekend confirmed people would be a little more prepared.

The CoD chat was just painful.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Why is that Nintendo's go-to move now? "Everyone has a DS charger, so why should we give you another?"

"Everyone has a Wiimote now, so why should we give you another?"

"Everyone has SD cards no, so why should we provide you with storage?"

How accepting would we be if every company thought this way?

So we should expect Nintendo to release the Wii U at its current price but with a Wiimote Plus and bigger (unnecessary) hard drive included?

Margalis

Banned

I like how in this thread you are arguing this while simultaneously in another thread arguing that anything any seller can get away with is perfectly justifiable and should not be questioned because of capitalism.

It appears that you are talking just to talk with no coherent thought whatsoever.

Curufinwe

They're still valid complaints. As is the complaint that the stupid thing can't play disc-based movies. I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm still able to discern shitty Nintendo from quality Nintendo. I'd say the Nintendo fan victim complex surprises me, but it never does.

No they are not. Nor were they valid for the last 6 consoles which all came with just one controller.

I'm neither a Nintendo fan nor a fan victim, but I can spot shitty, hypocritical arguments from miles away.

I like how in this thread you are arguing this while simultaneously in another thread arguing that anything any seller can get away with is perfectly justifiable and should not be questioned because of capitalism.

It appears that you are talking just to talk with no coherent thought whatsoever.

I'm arguing that Nintendo shouldnt be allowed to do what they're doing? Learn to read. And pick better fights, because the two things you mentioned have ZERO in common.

So we should expect Nintendo to release the Wii U at its current price but with a Wiimote Plus and bigger (unnecessary) hard drive included?

Hard drives are now unnecessary on consoles? I missed that memo. One of the incentives of buying the premium version is getting bonuses for buying a lot of downloadable content, yet they dont provide a hard drive big enough to store it. Sony and Microsoft both offer that option. I'd hardly call it unnecessary.

I read that and I'm still not sure. It doesn't specify if Wii U games that support the Wiimotes require Plus, but merely states it supports Wii games and Wii motes. I'm not sure where the person got the info about Wiimote+ being required, because I haven't seen anyone else ever state that. Hopefully it's bogus.

It's hilarious Andrea thought the barrels were something new to the series. I mean, how do you miss something like that?

I played the first game for nearly 100 hours and didn't notice that some barrels were fire, some were lightning etc.

Top Bottom