• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly JP mag thread (10/18~: Tales of Bomba)

Jonnyram

Info coming in slooooowly.

Hallowe'en event in PSU.

Famitsu reviews:
PS2 Utawareru Mono 7/7/7/8
PS2 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 7/8/8/6
PSP Untold Legends 6/7/7/7
DS Tales of the Tempest 7/7/7/7
DS Odenkun Jigsaw Puzzle 6/5/6/8
DS Pinky Street 8/8/6/7

ethelred

Mejilan said:
Owie. Any chance of getting a bit of the review text?

Reviewer 1: The character design is hideous, and everything looks like a blotchy amorphous explosion of pixels in battle.
Reviewer 2: When a game is delayed multiple times, you know there's usually something wrong with it. And there is!
Reviewer 3: Wait, is this by the same people who did Legendia?
Reviewer 4: What the ****, they didn't even put anything on the top screen? Who do they think they are, Final Fantasy?

Deku

Banned
That's a relief. Great graphics engine though, Tales games have reached a dead end creatively and commercially. I don't know why Namco keeps making them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ethelred said:
Reviewer 1: The character design is hideous, and everything looks like a blotchy amorphous explosion of pixels in battle.
Reviewer 2: When a game is delayed multiple times, you know there's usually something wrong with it. And there is!
Reviewer 4: What the ****, they didn't even put anything on the top screen? Who do they think they are, Final Fantasy?

Not enough of Engrish. Authenticity is of the being questionable.

Jonnyram

Mejilan said:
Owie. Any chance of getting a bit of the review text?
- encounter rate is low so don't feel stress while moving
- battle system is good but ally AI is poor
- overall volume is low
- online play is for swapping items and stuff
- map is unnecessarily large considering how fast you move, seems like wasted effort
- should have done it in 2D instead of with these chunky polys
- three line battle system makes the game more action oriented

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ethelred said:

*nods sagely*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jonnyram said:
- encounter rate is low so don't feel stress while moving
- battle system is good but ally AI is poor
- overall volume is low
- online play is for swapping items and stuff
- map is unnecessarily large considering how fast you move, seems like wasted effort
- should have done it in 2D instead of with these chunky polys
- three line battle system makes the game more action oriented

Your impressions? Or you have the mag?

Bebpo

Banned
Deku said:
That's a relief. Great graphics engine though, Tales games have reached a dead end creatively and commercially. I don't know why Namco keeps making them.

o_O

That makes as much sense as the rest of your post!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Should've been 3D with 2D sprites for the horrible looking polycharacters. But then Chris might've call it a GBA game.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Should've been 3D with 2D sprites for the horrible looking polycharacters. But then Chris might've call it a GBA game.

That would've been fantastic. Really, the backgrounds in the game look wonderful... world map looks great, towns look excellent. It's just the horrible, eye-stabbing character models that stain everything. A Xenogearsesque approach would've worked so damned well here.

ethelred

Derps said:
This is what happens when you try to make big rpgs on the DS..
you getting this Bioware?

Except plenty of other RPGs have scored much, much higher and are likely to be considered much, much better, proving that RPGs work on the system just fine.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jj984jj said:
Hey Pinky Street is that music game right? Did it really turn out good?

Pinky Street DS is based on the Pinky Street figures brand and is now branching out towards other media (animation, games).

The DS game seems to have music rhythm game elements as well as purchasing clothing and accesories to adorn your character with. Although the figures are collected by a wide range of people (especially since some of them are figures based on popular anime series), the game looks more aimed at girls.

Official site here:
http://www.dmpl.co.jp/kira_mu/index.html

storyimg01.gif

shoppingimg02.gif

danceimg04.gif

p-gacyaimg01.gif

fashionimg03.gif

photoimg02.gif

jeremy1456

Jonnyram said:
Info coming in slooooowly.

Hallowe'en event in PSU.

Famitsu reviews:
PS2 Utawareru Mono 7/7/7/8
PS2 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 7/8/8/6
PSP Untold Legends 6/7/7/7
DS Tales of the Tempest 7/7/7/7
DS Odenkun Jigsaw Puzzle 6/5/6/8
DS Pinky Street 8/8/6/7

Straight 7s isn't a bad score at all.

And this is coming from the mag that gave Nintendogs straight 10s. Suffice to say, their impressions are a bit off.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
oh god, my eyes
That's what I thought. :lol

Didn't think it would turn out good, but it was a music game I remember reading about. Too bad the game seems to be aimed at 8yo girls.

Jonnyram

Woot!

PSP Parodius, January
PSP Twinbee, January
PSP Salamander, January

I ♥ U Konami

P.S. PS1 emulator am どこ?

P.P.S. Further info:

Salamander Portable, Jan, 4179 yen
- Salamander
- Life Force
- Salamander 2
- Xexex
- 1 secret game

Parodius Portable, Jan, 4179 yen
- Parodius da!
- Gokujou Parodius
- Sexy Parodius
- Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (my fave)
- 1 secret game

Twinbee Portable, Jan
- Twinbee
- Deta na Twinbee
- Twinbee Yahho!
- Pop'n'Twinbee
- 1 secret game

Jiggy

Amir0x said:
Poor jarrod. :lol

This should be the primary negative of every 3D DS game. Say no to 3D, yes to 2D!
QFT.

FFIII, Tales of the Tempest, Dragon Quest Monsters. These are the "lauded" 3D DS games, graphically, but they're quite horrible, every one, and why developers devoted money to ugly 3D rather than beautiful 2D is simultaneously beyond my understanding, beyond their best interest, and beyond the best interest of the games themselves.

:/

duckroll

It seems:

Salamanda Portable = Salamander, Lifeforce, Salamander 2, Zexxax + 1 secret title

Parodius Portable = Parodius da!, Gokujou Parodius, Sexy Parodius, Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius + 1 secret title

Twinbee Portable = Twinbee, Detana!! TwinBee, Twinbee Yahho!, Pop'n Twinbee + 1 secret title

All out in Jan, for 4179yen each.

Edit: Damnit I took so long typing the titles Jonny beat me. Boo! :lol

Top Bottom