• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly JP mag thread (10/18~: Tales of Bomba)

Amir0x

Banned
Wow, I can't wait to see Tales next-gen at this rate. I wonder if they could make a Tales collection for Blu-Ray with every Tales game ever made! That's like 60 games, what a value!

jarrod

Banned
SuomiDude said:
But that game looks like shit. Why not at least use some good looking 2D game as an example if you want to bash DS's 3D games. Heroes of Mana is good 2D, It's a Wonderful World is not...
Actually, I think HOM uses 3D maps. :p

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah, Heroes does an ace job of it... sort of that FFT meld, which doesn't work too bad on such a limited scale of battle.
Front Mission 1st seems to use 3D maps too... I wonder if they might be a precursor to an Ogre or FFT game?

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Front Mission 1st seems to use 3D maps too... I wonder if they might be a precursor to an Ogre or FFT game?

God I hope. New Ogre wins :D

But...Matsuno is gone (or assimilated into Nintendo)!! *shakes fist*

Wow, two completely different metaphors to prove the same point... :lol

Well, I think Ogre's basic battle systems shouldn't be very difficult to carry over to a new game - it's only the presentational stuff like storyline and whatnot that would be recreated, and Matsuno was never very involved in those things, was he?

Or am I missing something?

Phantasia GBA 7777
Tempest NDS 7777

Uh-oh

3112.net_9e500c91800339008d3dd85b0c30e258.gif

Looks really slick....don't do that photoshop guys :(

ethelred

God, for ****'s sake people, STOP ARGUING WITH AMIR0X.

Error2k4 said:
sure they can, but that's like making a DQ game without Horii.

Well, Ogre Battle 64 was made without Matsuno. So was Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, though that's the weakest game in the series so it's not exactly helpful to the case. Basically, they can make a game without him and it could still possibly be good, but it definitely wouldn't be as good as it would've been had he been involved in his normal capacity. Then again, it might still be worthwhile just to have the series completed.

Pureauthor said:
Wow, two completely different metaphors to prove the same point... :lol

Well, I think Ogre's basic battle systems shouldn't be very difficult to carry over to a new game - it's only the presentational stuff like storyline and whatnot that would be recreated, and Matsuno was never very involved in those things, was he?

Or am I missing something?

You're missing something, yeah. Just like Matsuno completely created the world of Ivalice for FFT/FFXII/Vagrant Story and wrote every bit of history, political detail, and plot/dialogue, he also did the same for the Ogre universe.

But the good thing about being so immensely detail oriented and involved in that process is that there were lots of notes, and that's what were used in the creation of Ogre Battle 64. Whether they have any notes of his to do that for the other episodes in the saga is another matter...

Datschge said:
Only AFAIK, please correct if wrong (e.g. a couple scores may be from Famitsu PS2 instead Weekly etc.).

Abyss: 36 (9/9/9/9)
Legendia: 32 (8/8/8/8)
Eternia PSP: 33 (8/8/8/9)
Rebirth: 35 (9/9/9/8)
Symphonia PS2: 33 (9/8/8/8)
Symphonia GC: 34 (9/9/8/8)
Phantasia GBA: 28 (7/7/7/7)
Summoner's Lineage: 29 (7/8/8/6)
Narikiri Dungeon 2: 32 (9/8/8/7)
Destiny 2: 33 (8/8/8/9)
Fandom Vol.1: 25 (6/6/7/6)
Eternia PS1: 33 (9/8/8/8)
Narikiri Dungeon 1: 26 (7/6/7/6)
Phantasia PS1: 29 (7/7/7/8)
Destiny PS1: 32 (8/8/9/7)
Phantasia SFC: 31 (8/6/9/7)

Cheers, looks like TotT is one of the low-end Tales game, got worse than Legendia as well :S

jarrod

Banned
Actually most Ogre games have been made sans Matsuno...

Quest + Matsuno
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (SFC)
-Tactics Ogre (SFC)

Quest - Matsuno
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
-Tactics Ogre Gaiden (GBA)

ArtDink
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (PS1)
-Tactics Ogre (PS1)

Riverhill Soft
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (SS)
-Tactics Ogre (SS)

SNK
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle Gaiden (NGPC)

...though I would like to see him helm a new one (it's the reason why Square destroyed Quest after all). Maybe Nintendo and Sakaguchi can chip in and buy back the IP for him?

ethelred

jarrod said:
Actually most Ogre games have been made sans Matsuno...

Quest + Matsuno
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (SFC)
-Tactics Ogre (SFC)

Quest - Matsuno
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
-Tactics Ogre Gaiden (GBA)

ArtDink
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (PS1)
-Tactics Ogre (PS1)

Riverhill Soft
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle (SS)
-Tactics Ogre (SS)

SNK
-Densetsu no Ogre Battle Gaiden (NGPC)

...though I would like to see him helm a new one (it's the reason why Square destroyed Quest after all). Maybe Nintendo and Sakaguchi can chip in and buy back the IP for him?

Kudos, Jarrod, for pointlessly including ports just for the sake of doing a list.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Kudos, Jarrod, for pointlessly including ports just for the sake of doing a list.
Well, at least I caught the SNK game you forgot. ;)

Also, I thought Matsuno had already completed the basic overall Ogre timeline, which is why Quest had a good idea where to go for Ogre 64? I know the handheld Gaidens were strongly based off his notes too, but I'd always heard the entire series was already basically laid out?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
KGKK said:
Is that a game based off the popstar JoJo? If so then wow:lol

Your ignorance is staggering. It's based on the hugely popular japanese manga. Most of the games in the past have been based on the third era of the manga, so this is a big thing, as this game is set in the first era of the series.

I really really hope you're joking.

04.gif

(even if you don't know the manga, there was an AWESOME capcom fighting game based on the third era of the series on both PSone and Dreamcast)

ethelred

typhonsentra said:
I can't believe I was called crazy when I questioned the graphics of this game and FF3. They don't even have freaking faces!

FF3 looks great, but you're crazy for entirely unrelated reasons.

Amir0x said:
Wonderful World looks very good for 2D, stylistic choices included. Every 3D game on DS? Hideous. 2D, awesome. Wonderful World wins :D Not that Heroes isn't great too or even better, it is.

Heroes of Mana has 3D backgrounds.

ackbar.jpg

ethelred

I can't understand how anyone aside from Pureauthor and Dragona could think It's a Wonderful World doesn't look fantastic.

Pureauthor said:
Oookkkayyy...

What the crap was that supposed to mean?

What? You have made it pretty clear that you find the clothing style here (and in other games, like Luminous Arc) religiously or morally offensive. That's fine -- there you go, you've got an excuse. Other people don't!

:lol I can keep my thoughts on what looks fantastic and what looks 'moral' rather separate. Just like how I would think a hot woman would look hot regardless of whether or not I'd think it'd be a good idea to wear especially revealing clothing.

I dislike the characters of IAWW from an aesthetic viewpoint (I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread), but I rather like the designs of the monsters.

klee123

Pureauthor said:
:lol I can keep my thoughts on what looks fantastic and what looks 'moral' rather separate. Just like how I would think a hot woman would look hot regardless of whether or not I'd think it'd be a good idea to wear especially revealing clothing.

I dislike the characters of IAWW from an aesthetic viewpoint (I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread), but I rather like the designs of the monsters.

They're anime characters designs. Female characters wearing revealing clothing is nothing out of the ordinary.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
typhonsentra said:
Yeah, really great.
And even better on the DS! Best DS game yet, whoop whoop. (Well, now pokemons may trump it....)

Seriously, what the freg is it with Luneth's (and Refia's) everchanging hair colour?

It's silver, then it's blonde, then it's silver again.

RK: Pokemans, and don't you forget!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pureauthor said:
Seriously, what the freg is it with Luneth's (and Refia's) everchanging hair colour?

It's silver, then it's blonde, then it's silver again.

RK: Pokemans, and don't you forget!
I don't remember it being anything but silver when I played it, but I tend to not worry about these things too much.

Fady K

28/40 for a the first Tales game on DS...this was one of my most wanted DS games, i wonder why it received one of the lowest scores for a tales game :/

As for Ace Combat X, another GREAT score, for a GREAT series, and yet, itll sell around...hmm lemme guess, 13k in its first week.

duckroll

vspectra06 said:
Nothing on DOAX2?

Next week. They're doing bi-weekly articles leading up to the release. There's supposed to be a famitsu article on Blue Dragon next week too... should be interesting. The game hasn't had many articles in Famitsu.

Top Bottom