• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Weird Al" Yankovic's newest "internet leak" - CNR (Video inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGmD2wk8m4

"CNR" stands for Charles Nelson Reilly.

The song is a style parody of The White Stripes as is the video.

The lyrics are kind of a takeoff on Chuck Norris, you'll see why.

The song is better than his previous leak IMHO, but not sure if I can choose between it and his first leak.

Previous "Leaks":
Skipper Dan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNo8LvdOwSk

Craigslist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R32aFmxL9HY

If there's an official thread for Weird Al, I apologize. I searched both NeoGAF and Google itself. I don't mean for this to be an official thread for Weird Al or his upcoming untitled album, I just wanted to mention it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realize these were supposed to be "leaks." I thought they were totally intentional and advertised as such.

::edit::

Oh, the album is CALLED Internet Leaks. That would be it. :lol

Me and a friend were talking about Weird Al the other day and realized...All the guy does is ride off the success of the other people. Give me a song and tell me to rewrite it with "funny/stupid" lyrics and I could do it. The guy's a fucking piggybacking retard.

YYZ

ToyMachine228 said:
Me and a friend were talking about Weird Al the other day and realized...All the guy does is ride off the success of the other people. Give me a song and tell me to rewrite it with "funny/stupid" lyrics and I could do it. The guy's a fucking piggybacking retard.
err...no. Why don't you get started on that now and get back to us then.

Link for non-usa people? Stupid copyright restrictions.

ToyMachine228 said:

Err no. It isn't easy to do what he does plus he's written some pretty good original songs too.

Hell he managed to write a Devo song that made Devo wish they'd written it.

Vormund

ToyMachine228 said:

Umm how about no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_by_"Weird_Al"_Yankovic

Click on the "Original or Parody" section. While he is known for parodies, you obviously are ignorant of the many original songs he has done.

VAIL

ToyMachine228 said:

You and your friend are clueless...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Actually, many (if not most) of his songs are not just rewriting lyrics, but creating entirely new songs in the style of somebody else. He has a tremendous ability to understand a wide variety of song styles and recreate them for his own completely original songs.

I would absolutely LOVE to see you rewrite some songs with funny/stupid lyrics and have an iota of the success Weird Al has been having for several decades now.

shuri

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
do you have any idea of how much skill this actually takes?

Beowulf28

ToyMachine228 said:
Why don't you post some songs you've written hmm?

Tobor

ToyMachine228 said:

So fucking do it, smart ass. Instead of bullshitting with your talentless friend in the Taco Bell parking lot, record a parody song, post it to Youtube, and show us how easy it is.

Anyway, nice work from Al, as always. I'm not a White Stripes fan, so the style does nothing for me, but I appreciate the work he put into it, and I always liked Charles Nelson Reilly.

ToyMachine228 said:

Come back when you sold 12 million records and won 3 grammys. Take a look at his behind the scenes stuff and you'll see he's no piggyback retard.

Amon37

ToyMachine228 said:

You and your friend are idiots. That is all.

Doubledex

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
No, you are a retard

Shorty

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
cry some more bitter tears plz.

Jasoco

Banned
Someone once said "You're not famous until Weird Al makes a parody of one of your songs."

I don't know if "Internet Leaks" is the name of the album, or when he's actually gonna release the album itself, he just seems to want to get the songs out as soon as possible these days. I wonder if he's releasing them as he finishes them. He calls them leaks as a joke because he's the one leaking them before anyone else can. Kind of a joke about other bands who have songs leaked unofficially.

Last time he leaked two songs for free purposely. One was a parody of James Blunt that James' label turned down even though Blunt himself okayed it. Blunt said "release it anyway" and he did on the internet for free. Fuck labels. The second was "White and Nerdy" which he released as a teaser for free.

I wish he'd release the album because I really want to see what this albums "Big song" is (Think long 10 minute songs like Albuquerque, Trapped in the Drive Thru) and his 2006-2010 Polka medley.

And the video was awesome. I just wish they'd stop disallowing embedding. Fucking feature. I hate that goddamned feature. Don't people know allowing embedding gets more visitors? Fuck.

Also, yesterday afternoon JibJab had the video taken down as a "copyright claim" before having it put back up with embedding turned off. It's like when Al first joined Facebook earlier this year and posted HIS OWN MUSIC VIDEOS from the 80's and 90's and FaceBook took them down because they thought they were unauthorized. Al had to say "WTF, FaceBook? I'm fucking Weird Al! You put my videos back up now!"

Fuck copyrights.

Also, yes, that was Grant Imahara from MythBusters eating a sandwich. Kind of a nod to the style MB uses on their own show for demonstration cut scenes.

Edit: OMG. According to WeirdAl's website, there is one more song left this summer...

INTERNET LEAKS
…is the name we’re giving to the digital-only EP that previews songs from the next Weird Al album (which will be out sometime next year... we think). Internet Leaks contains the T.I. parody “Whatever You Like” as well as “Craigslist”, "Skipper Dan" and 2 other songs which will be released later this summer!
One is obviously CNR. I wonder what the last one will be.

Oh, and thanks to DownloadHelper, I was able to download the High Definition MP4 versions of both Craigslist and CNR to keep. They look really nice in 720p. :D

Jasoco

Banned
If YouTube really wanted to copyright protect their videos, they'd do whatever Hulu does to keep Flash Video Downloading tool from being able to download them. Seriously, is there any way to download a Hulu video? All you end up with is a short splash video advertising for Hulu as a way of saying "Nice try, but no."

Frankly, I'm all for disallowing disabling of downloading in Flash videos anyway. If I want to keep a video, I WANT TO KEEP A VIDEO!

Jasoco

Banned
Hey! I learned how to use QuickTime X's trim feature, and Photoshop CS3's Save for Web and Import Video as Frames features to create my first GIF in like forever... (I had to actually put Device Central back in my Apps folder in order to use it. But I guess it's worth it.)

CNRGTFO!

21jahwz.jpg

If it's too fast or too seizury or something let me know. This video is full of awesome NeoGAF GIF moments.

It is 688KB also. I can try and optimize it if I have to. I kept the frames and file in a PSD to edit later.

Edit: New GIF. Slightly slower and smaller. I like it better. 504KB now. And has a slight pause at the end and the flash is slower too.

Fixed1979

That was fucking A, been a Al fan for a long time. I also watched a lot of Match Game repeats when I was younger. Seriously fucking awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
A couple more. I was bored and it's just so irresistable...

GTFO!
21jahwz.jpg

The original.

13ykzv5.jpg

Yes, that is Chuck Norris' head on the wall in the den.

BANNED!
2hckdw9.jpg

Manatee Love
fllrlv.jpg

Not my best. But I love the look on the faces of the people.

White Stripes/Weird Al
6tmeip.jpg

I like this one because I just love the look on his face as he sits there looking like Meg White. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
You mean was.

And I don't have any idea who he is except now I do because I looked him up on Wikipedia.

Two videos ago he parodied The Doors. I'm pretty sure he's aiming for as broad an audience as possible.

You know, I don't really listen to Weird Al these days, but there's no denying how musically gifted he is. He can do pretty much any genre with ease, which even the most critically respected artists aren't capable of doing. Hell, most people who even try are immediately dismissed as pretentious or going too far outside their stylistic comfort zone.

Also, this is left field, but I bet he could do a really amazing Elvis Costello cover album. He can play the shit out of that early new-wave/rock crossover stuff.

CNR is a great song!

Al is a very talented artist. ToyMachine & Friend think parody songs are easy, but judging by all the shit I've heard from "wacky radio morning crews," it's incredibly difficult to do it well. Just because you can think of a way to substitute "shit" and "clit" as rhymes to a popular song lyric doesn't mean you are equally as talented as Al. And I doubt you can play the accordion, either.

nocode

ToyMachine228 said:

You and your friend have clearly never listened to Frank's 2000 inch tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom