• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Weird Al" Yankovic's newest "internet leak" - CNR (Video inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
This song is a parody of White Stripes' "Icky Thump"... can't believe the Youtube comments think it sounded like "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" and I am not even a huge White Stripes fan.

nocode said:
You and your friend have clearly never listened to Frank's 2000 inch tv.

Such a classic. Here are some of my favorite "Weird Al" originals:

Franks 2000" TV

Everything You Know is Wrong

Albuquerque

Genius in France

Hardware Store (Amazing vocal solo at 2:30)

This is the Life

Since You've Been Gone

Why Does This Always Happen to Me?

That's Your Horoscope For Today

You Don't Love Me Anymore

So yeah, too bad he's not creative enough to come up with non-parody songs, hm?

Looking forward to the new album.

Oh, and yesterday he revealed this hidden unused gem (Rivers Cuomo wouldn't give permission at the time to include it, so it was removed): Buddy Holly in Alternative Polka

Jasoco

Banned
nocode said:
You and your friend have clearly never listened to Frank's 2000 inch tv.
Exactly.

I knew about Weird Al in the 80's and throughout the 90's, but I didn't actually get into him until 1999 when he released The Saga Begins.

Since then I bought the following

Straight Outta Lynwood
Running With Scissors
Poodle Hat
Off The Deep End
In 3-D
Even Worse
Dare To Be Stupid
Bad Hair Day
Alapalooza

As well as miscellaneous songs either freely released or from iTunes like his Crash Test Dummies parody "Headline News".

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jasoco said:
As well as miscellaneous songs either freely released or from iTunes like his Crash Test Dummies parody "Headline News".
Headline News was and still is hilarious. I saw him in concert once (shut up), and he sang that song, updated with a verse about Britney being Britney. :lol

And like I said in the Michael Jackson tribute thread, Weird Al's MJ parodies are still funny, even after MJ moonwalked to heaven. :lol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This thread got me listening to some of my older Weird Al stuff.

Man, the Pentiums video is just awesome. I only watched it cuz I was lookin at the All About the Benjamins Rock Remix video and his pentiums video is an awesome parody of it, right down to how Puffy acts on stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky-JTAPhmUo#t=2m41s

"Play me online, well you know that I'll beat you/
if I ever meet you, i'll control-alt-delete you, WHAT?!":lol

Irish

Medalion said:
This song is a parody of White Stripes' "Icky Thump"... can't believe the Youtube comments think it sounded like "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" and I am not even a huge White Stripes fan.

Clearly. :p The riff is actually a modified version of the one in Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground. The vocals are definitely Icky Thumpish though.

Medalion

Banned
Irish said:
Clearly. :p The riff is actually a modified version of the one in Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground. The vocals are definitely Icky Thumpish though.

I am conceding the song actually blends several White Stripes riffs into one song, so if you didn't listen to the whole thing you may think the song is one thing or the other.

Jasoco

Banned
It's what you call a "Style Parody" in that it's not supposed to be any particular song, just done as if it were created by a particular band or two.

"Hardware Store" is one of my recent favorites.

And "Trapped in the Drive Thru" is amazing.

"eBay" is another awesome one. I love the end when he repeats the end word over and fades out slowly and just when you think he's done, he adds one more in.

I'm also a fan of "Your Horoscope For Today"... "All of your friends are laughing behind your back... kill them" "Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got hanging in your den" (I'm a Saggitarius)

Oh, and "Ode to a Superhero" is another good "recent" song. Parody of "Piano Man" written about Spider-Man.

And I eagerly look forward to his polka every album.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jasoco said:
It's what you call a "Style Parody" in that it's not supposed to be any particular song, just done as if it were created by a particular band or two.
Of all his style parodies, Dare to be Stupid is still the best one.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Man now I see this thread again and I keep lookin for more Weird Al stuff that I haven't seen in forever.

The whole "Don't Download This Song" was awesome, and given the passing of Jacko (of whom I think it could be said this is a style-parody) it's even funnier. And yeah, the style-parody of Rage is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfO9JUNXN7U

I dunno. The guys library is just incredible. I mean if you think about it, he's been doing this stuff for like 25 years, and the kicker is he keeps getting better as an artist.

Genius in France is his best song in at least a decade.

My Pancreas, Virus Alert, Hardware Store and Trapped in the Drive-Thru are pretty amazing, too.

EDIT- Christmas at Ground Zero might be his best song. Not sure.

Jasoco

Banned
explodet said:
Haven't seen this posted yet, so here we go:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Ringtone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktdPi6HgNp8
Good song. And I'm sure that's supposed to be a parody of Jim Halpert in the office scenes.

Coincidentally I have Jim Halpert singing "Love Fool" (From Season 3 when he is annoying Karen because of her squeeky chair) with Andy singing backup as my current ringtone.

Too bad I rarely get calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom