• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Social Opinion Weird habits you picked up as a collector?

Umbasaborne

Dec 21, 2020
So, i like to collect nintendo stuff, including games. Over the past couple years, i started buying two copies of every Nintendo game i was interested in. One to stay sealed on my shelf, and a digital copy to play. Is this insane, yes, am i a sucker? Yes, will these games be worth anything in 20 years? With the exception of 3d all stars probably not, but as it stands i own a sealed copy of almost every first party Nintendo game released in the past 5 or six years. I get collectors editions where i can but im too old to fight with bots these days.

Strangely enough ive been fine opening my amiibos, but lately ive been wondering if i should keep those sealed too.

anyway, what do you do while collecting games? Do you only buy at certain prices? Or are you willing to pay the big bucks for a collectors item?

Reactions: Con-Z-epT

Con-Z-epT

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019

:messenger_winking:

I'm close to a 100% digital on games except for some titles.

But looking what others are collecting and what things can be worth in the future i'd say it is not a bad investment.
Especially when you have sealed copies. Might take a while. Could also be something you bequeath.

Reactions: Umbasaborne

Umbasaborne

Dec 21, 2020

:messenger_winking:

I'm close to a 100% digital on games except for some titles.

But looking what others are collecting and what things can be worth in the future i'd say it is not a bad investment.
Especially when you have sealed copies. Might take a while. Could also be something you bequeath.
Yeah, i have no problem throwing things away and i hate clutter, but this could be the first step to hoarder-dome

• LOL
Reactions: Con-Z-epT

Con-Z-epT

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah, i have no problem throwing things away and i hate clutter, but this could be the first step to hoarder-dome
I think you are fine if you have no problem with throwing things away.
I bought and collected games up until and to the end of the PS360 era.
At some point i just didn't care anymore and gave away most of it to friends and family.

It definitely can be seen as a long term investment. You are already there with sealed copies and collector editions.