• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird issue with my iPad. Any help appreciated

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have a 5th generation ipad: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-5th-Generation-128GB-Wi-Fi-Silver/726252650

I've been using this case for a couple years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X6LSBZ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yesterday for some reason the top power button stopped working when it's in the case. The case has a little button on the top so when you push on it, it hits the actual top power button. When I push on it, nothing happens. It doesn't make that clicky noise. So I removed the ipad from the case to clean it, and when the ipad is out of the case the power button works just fine. It's clicky, it's responsive. I put it back in the case, and it doesn't work. So I figured maybe something happened with the plastic button on the case and maybe it shifted a few millimeter so it no longer reaches the power button when I push on it and ordered a brand new case. Got it today... same issue.

No idea wtf is going on and why the power button works perfectly fine when out of the case, but not in it. This isn't some elaborate thing it just clicks into place and when you push the plastic button on top of the case it does down and pushes the power button. No dust or grime in there clogging it. I didn't drop it or damage it, did nothing to alter the physical state of the ipad.

I like using the case, it has a stand and I watch video on it a lot, so I want to fix this. Seems like such a simple fix, no idea what's causing this. Is it possible the power button on the ipad dipped in a tiny hair after years of use to where the case button no longer reaches it when I push down on it?

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I don’t have a answer but recently after updating my iPad I noticed the touch screen was acting wonky on mine .
I would press down on something and the input wouldn’t register or be close to where I touched.
I’m guessing it maybe a software update because it was working perfectly before that, that’s why I asked

Prison Mike

Banned
the it crowd chris odowd GIF

Ovek

7Member7
It’s quite possible that the case is making your power button ”stick”. I’ve seen it a lot over the years (I work with loads of Apple kit), seen iPads that have worked fine in a case for over a year to not overnight. Usually boils down to iPads slightly warping which they all do eventually coupled with ridiculously tight tolerances with most full cover cases.

You can try and bend the corner of the case but like nush said just cut the cases plastic button out.

Top Bottom