• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Welcome to hotel 'The Dusk'! Mr. Hyde was it? No, relation to a Mr. Jekkyl right?:lol Sorry. Well, it looks like you have reservations of Room 215 on January 22? Good! Feel free to wait in the lobby, and have a look at one of our brochures. Please enjoy your stay!

Release Dates
US- January 22, 2007
AU- February 22, 2007
JP- January 25, 2007
EU- Q1 2007

(all according to Wikipedia)

US/JP Boxart (in that order)
Hotel_Dusk.jpg

B000FJ51GO_09__SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V49967057_.jpg

Platform: Nintendo DS
Category: Adventure
Players: 1 player
Release Date: Jan 22, 2007
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: CING INC.

Premise
Part hard-boiled detective story and part intriguing mystery, Hotel Dusk is an atmospheric yarn that takes place over the course of one night—December 28, 1979.

Kyle Hyde, a disgraced New York detective turned salesman, arrives at a run-down Los Angeles inn called Hotel Dusk. Once there, Kyle soon becomes involved in a 30-year-old mystery that involves lies, betrayal, kidnapping, and murder. And over the course of the night, he will also discover something very special about Room 215… a room that is said to grant wishes.

But who is Kyle Hyde? Why is he haunted by his past? And what happened in Room 215? Only by taking stylus in hand and navigating through the story's twists and turns can you learn the answers.

Hotel Dusk is a thinking person’s DS title. With its refreshingly unique design and intriguing gameplay, Hotel Dusk is a must-have for mystery lovers and anyone looking for something different for their DS library. You’ll want to check into Hotel Dusk again and again.

Gameplay
Players hold their Nintendo DS like a book and use the touch screen to grill characters, search for clues and solve mystifying puzzles.

Walk around by dragging the stylus to the area you want your Kyle to move, according to the touch screen which is an overhead 2D map. The Topscreen (left screen) is a first person perspective in 3D, and you are able to move around and investigate in the full 3D environment. In the first person you are able see the people staying at The Dusk. They are displayed in color. When you talk to them you are given multiple choices of what to say. You can be rude, nice, call someone on a lie, chitchat, threaten people, back off, noisy, non intrusive and many others. and example is the opening dialog in the hotel that can go at least “10 different ways.”

Characters
Kyle Hyde
K_Hyde.jpg

You play as Ex-Cop Kyle Hyde, who in order to investigate the disappearance of his former partner, goes undercover as a salesman. His former partner is stealing stuff (paintings or something), and there's some mystery around his disappearance (Yeah, that's the WHAT A-- from the E3 trailer). He tracks him to a hotel called The Dusk. On the last day of the year as he goes to The Dusk. Cue Mystery unfolding .wav

He isn't the friendliest of people...he's actually quite an ass to people.

Iris
Iris.jpg

She's in room 216, and requested that the room across from her and beside her be left vaccant. Dunning didn't listen, sticking Hyde in room 215 across the hall. [/I]

Louis DeNonno
Franco.jpg

3 years ago, he was a pick-pocketer in the streets of New York. Now, he's the bellhop. With his super laid back style he never exepected to see the cop who booked him show up at Hotel Dusk. He's so surprised that he gives Hyde the wrong package. Louie appears to be interested in Iris.

Dunning Smith
Owner of Hotel Dusk. Looks a bit like Sylvester Stallone. Birthday: October 8

Rosa Fox
Maid, and cook at Hotel Dusk. Birthday: June 30

Mila
Girl seen on the highway while coming to the Dusk. Wears a bracelet like your former partner Bradley. She doesn't speak, and is being cared for by Rosa.

Jeff Angel
Brought Mila to Hotel Dusk. Staying in room 213.

Martin Summer
Writes novels (one of which Hyde might have actually read). Staying in Room 211. Got your package because of Louie's mistake.

Melissa Woodward
Staying with her father in room 219. Her Dad is a surgeon, and her Mom works at an art Museum. You meet Melissa on the stairs where she's working on a puzzle. You help her out, but she hates you for it. Thus is the life of a salesman.

Brian Bradley
Hyde's former partner. Your looking for him.

Ed Vincent
Head of Red Crown. Your boss. Used to work on the force, and knew Hyde's father.

Rachel
Ed's secretary. Calls Hyde 'handsome' and 'sweetie'. Has a beauty mark by her right eye.Can be reached by phone.

Helen Parker
Old Lady that wanted to stay in Room 215, but was late by only a few minutes. She has an eyepatch which makes her totally awesome.

More characters to appear in the future.

Screens
mcVnF92PUv5Gp0lt-LnwNCGuzmKVq5TD.jpg

gNLBJdISzdwtQRgUjECF8dvzEHDNLuck.jpg

mkq7PiV5PWB0FpeYtjsrRM0_dTv1-BgS.jpg

_GnRv2Zraad3jlxqZSuvFgD6SJn3lbr-.jpg

Tc5fVL2W230H5dL7-ab9dXoytFCN9E19.jpg

MW-ocRhAMI6ARebz0horX-iIGOCvXdvT.jpg

uaspjGcP92tcu20om0DltRtxQVHZTA-u.jpg

ZOyBIqHvZqX1rTxwIB4ccI7CLXpWgwtA.jpg

wcT07t5Z7eMqtVQ_XDSAenubIh-lVQcS.jpg

Lv6WqOE0HGC0qH13TLSpA7_H0KrPTu_c.jpg

Soundtrack
Download (.zip 64 MB)
Album Art
Thanks SO MUCH RaidenZR
Videos
http://www.nintendo.com/gameminiav?gameid=uN12aToYOtUFtpNhWdKoxuWnyXw-wSJg
E3 2006 Trailer (announcement)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awij/index.html
Newer Japanese Trailer

Reviews
Gamespot review: 8.2 Great
EGM: 8.0/8.0/10

Quotes
The Good: An intriguing story told in style
The Bad: The usual adventure game illogic
Hardboiled: Twice as gritty as Touch Detective (and twice as good)

Jeremy: "...it plays out like a great pulp detective novel... With a cast of well-written characters, branching conversations, a cool interface, this is the adventure the DS has been dying for." - 8.0

Jennifer: "...the story is intriguing, and the puzzles nicely done... And that pencil-sketch art style? Very cool." 8.0

Michael: "...Playing Hotel Dusk made me realize why I love the DS: the game executes everything with such craft and creativity - you hold the system like a book, the puzzles make terrific us of the touch screen - that it pushes how fun games can be when DS developers dare to be different... Factor in the twist-heavy story and you have one doozy of a DS game." 10.0

Nintendo Power: 8.0/10
...interactive novel...turns you down dead ends to throw you off...main characters kind of a jerk throughout the whole game...not much character growth...gameplay disappointing...one location to another...dialogue tree overrated...can mess up and be thrown out of the hotel...very linear....relies on conversation triggers...we don't understand the concept of adventure games at all...good story...groundbreaking...

This is a game that a lot of nongamers could easily get into." -Alan Averill

With [Hotel Dusk], it's definitely a noir-esque theme. But being that it's set in '79, it's much more modern than that." -Alan Averill

Sites

English Site

Japanese Site

I think you'll have a nice stay at hotel 'The Dusk'!

Fireblend

Banned
I want this game so bad >_< Damn lack of money! I'll have to get this as soon as I get my savings started again ;_;

I know about the hype thread. I post in it. I just made this as the official thread. We can just leave this one until the game comes out if you guys are going to hate ;p. There have been other hype threads, that are followed up with someone else making an Official thread.

Sorry Sp0rsk...I hope you have a swell day? Want a hug?:)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yes, hi I'd like to reserve a room on the 22nd of this month. Are there any vacancies?

:D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I shall be visiting Hotel Dusk, on the sly, and making sweet, sweet love all night long...

duffey

It's games like this and Phoenix Wright that make me cling to my DS more often than any other system. This month we get not one but TWO awesome adventure games and it makes me smile big time. :)

Although EB wouldn't let me pre-order it because it's not in their system, wtf.

seat

Been waiting for a stylized and moody game like this for a while. The cover to the Japanese version is fantastic.

Mejilan

The presentation for this game is OFF THE HOOK.

Hell, it seems like almost every scene will have animation in it, and while it isn't FMV quality, it fits in quite well with the rough-sketch look to the characters. (Some 3D animation too, as applicable).

Crazy awesome! Setting, mood, presentation... all perfect so far. The sketchpad/notebook is AWESOME! I'm already putting it to good use on what would normally be a rather annoying puzzle (scour the hotel looking for 7 numbers, only to have to sum them up and input that sum as a code somewhere...)

Totally hope the game lives up to the look! Trace Memory was a neat experiment, but damn did it have flaws.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
How did EGM already have a published issue with a review of this game (which probably means they got it 2 months ago)... Yet the game is released today and not ONE of the big gaming sites, IGN, Gamespot, ect., have a review yet..

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The topic title should say CHOO CHOO! not Please enjoy your stay!

Anyway, can't wait to get this next week with PW:AA -- JFA.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
"Seeing Hotel Dusk made me realize why I love the DS"

Nothing more to add yet. Just... that I want more games like that. Don't forget Another Code/Tracy Memory, it should be keep on your DS collection.

Mejilan

:lol

"Take a look around the hotel. Better yet, take a sniff. It's like the set of some cheap TV crime drama, don't you think?"

Mejilan

Most of us who got it today probably did so via the Nintendo World Store in NYC. I don't think any other stores will start selling until tomorrow or Wednesday...

I really hope this does well, so companies will make more games that really take advantage of the DS's abilities, rather than somewhat half-assed ports like Phoenix Wright (which are decent games, but basically just slightly enhanced GBA games.)

Mejilan said:
Most of us who got it today probably did so via the Nintendo World Store in NYC. I don't think any other stores will start selling until tomorrow or Wednesday...

I just got back from NWS. They had about five left behind the counter but probably had a lot more in some drawer somewheres.

Yeah, I'm right downtown Van at work - guess I should wait.

This is one of those "impulse" purchases for me - haven't read much on it but looking for something a bit different.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
trancejeremy said:
I really hope this does well, so companies will make more games that really take advantage of the DS's abilities, rather than somewhat half-assed ports like Phoenix Wright (which are decent games, but basically just slightly enhanced GBA games.)

Lets hope that Capcom puts their efforts in a better version of Phoenix Wright. It's a series with plenty of potential. Let's cross our fingers!

And yes, you're true. It's time for the developers to aboard that tipe of genre, like good strat games!

Aeon712 was right, there is a Best Buy in Philadelphia selling them, about 4-5 left I think. I must get some gaming in before 24.

Soul4ger

EB and GameStop stop taking preorders in-store over two weeks ago... I hope that isn't an indication of its limited availability. I finished Phoenix Wright and I need more graphical adventure goodness.

Top Bottom