• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well animated anime

I've been hankering to see some good quality animation lately, pretty much talking just visuals. Problem is, I don't really know how to search for this stuff. Hoping fellow Gaffer's can help a guy out.
Visually the best that I've seen is probably Katsuhiro Otomo's AKIRA
giphy.gif

and mamaru Oshii's Jin Roh.
7AGC.gif

and Mamaru Oshii's Jin Roh.

If you know of any other anime that has that "WOW!" factor in terms of just breath taking animated superiority, please for the love of God let me know. I'm not looking for films like that of Hayao Miyazaki, though. Yes, thoose films are beautiful, but they're also simple in terms of detail.

Last edited:

Labolas

tumblr_oril19qqvu1ucpcboo1_500.gif

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door

Nq7GTMw.gif

Ghost in the Shell

tumblr_oi72kmlz1g1rfx24fo1_500.gif

Blood the Last Vampire

giphy.gif

Sword of the Stranger

original.gif

Rage of Bahamut Genesis

Some good stuff listed.

I don't have any cool gifs but absolutely check out Venus Wars.

Some of the best animation to come out of Sunrise and even got a snazzy bluray release.

Edit: Oh and of course Macross Plus: The Movie

qJCl9QD.gif

You get more with the OVA but I feel the movie covers everything necessary and some parts are arguably better truncated.

Last edited:

kingbean

Some good stuff listed.

I don't have any cool gifs but absolutely check out Venus Wars.

Some of the best animation to come out of Sunrise and even got a snazzy bluray release.

Edit: Oh and of course Macross Plus: The Movie

qJCl9QD.gif

You get more with the OVA but I feel the movie covers everything necessary and some parts are arguably better truncated.

First anime I ever watched. Caught it on the Sci-Fi channel in the early 90s before people really knew about Japanese animation.

Adding anything to this thread or are you here just to make a minor complaint. At least post something relative to the topic.
tumblr_phf2jnkqGY1rkmkdxo1_400.gif

(Magnetic Rose)

A lot of cool looking anime's in here(guess mostly movies). Make's wish there more anime for adults (nothing like bible black though) today instead of the majority being moe/slice of life/high school kind of anime.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Spriggan has absolutely awesome animation, it's a generic action movie but it looks great doing it.

Mezzo Forte and Kite have action scenes, but be careful depending on what version you wind up watching the films feature some pretty graphic sexual content.

Lensman has great 80s era animation though the movie itself isn't so hot. =S

I recall Memories being very nicely animated but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Neo Tokyo is an animation anthology ala Robot Carnival with some very nice animation and direction. Those that watched Liquid Television a million years ago may recognize the "Running Man" short.

You can also check out something like Birth, which is just animators doing their thing for an hour of chase sequences

There's also a lot of stuff that isn't top tier but still on the high end by Japanese animation standards like Dirty Pair: Project Eden, Ai City or Crusher Joe: The Movie and the like.

Last edited:

ROMhack

tumblr_n545gpZYnn1qhfwo9o1_500.gif

5 Centimetres Per Second

giphy.gif

End of Evangelion

TNSP.gif

Gris Belladonna of Sadness

153b9a8578d67514ea58a9a0e222f6ca.gif

Dead Leaves

tumblr_lu70z5gLsy1qah0k3o1_500.gif

Tatami Galaxy

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
This is not Moebius, but Dragons Heaven OVA, showing the talent of Makoto Kobayashi, the guy who was ostracised by Gurren Laggan fans

Dragon%2527s%2BHeaven%2Bmoebius.gif

lock2k

Banned
I don't know how well-animated it is but I remember Street Fighter Victory having some smooth looking fights (even through I was not a fan of the story itself).

petran79

Banned
What talent? 8 frames for this and half of them are basically just copied.

This is just a tiny sample of a random GIF I found. When it comes to visuals this OVA is the closest you'll get to Western scifi comics

Last edited:

Lucumo

This is just a tiny sample of a random GIF I found. When it comes to visuals this OVA is the closest you'll get to Western scifi comics
Some random .gif might be not that useful when it isn't good (especially in a thread about well-animated anime). And apart from the style, the anime wasn't exactly much to write home about.

petran79

Banned
Some random .gif might be not that useful when it isn't good (especially in a thread about well-animated anime). And apart from the style, the anime wasn't exactly much to write home about.

Ova surely has issues like some of the other suggestions here. But it is worth watching. Does not even last half an hour anyway and it has a unique live action sequence in the beginning.

Joyful

Vampire Hunter D / Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

what surprised me more recently was Lupin Part V, it actually had car chase scenes without CG

Helios

Man, pre-CGI anime was so much better looking. So much more soul.
deb.gif

You're telling me this doesn't have Soul?!
What's worse is that the original anime had much better animation even if they used a lot of stills from the manga. That anime came out in 97! And it still holds up today, especially against the monstrosity that is berserk 2016
8d566600704a37966eeda7cd0f81e123.gif

Top Bottom