• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well animated anime

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i dunno if you would consider it "good" but i just always loved this scene. i think it has to do with the storytelling though more than the actual animation skill

Zangiefy360

Banned
Lots of awesome stuff in here! Have to throw in some from the master -- Miyazaki!

tumblr_n9aa1fUKxM1shdhdjo1_500.gif

9fbe8c04d444a427f1d0b0ec65ae0b68.gif

6b6cac408b29038dd27108aec58996a9.gif

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
This thread is making me miss 80s and 90s anime when studios were still running on bubble era budgets, could pour insane amounts of money into well-animated films, and still make a profit most of the time. There's still the occasional well-animated show today, but not nearly to the extent of those two decades.

This thread is making me miss 80s and 90s anime when studios were still running on bubble era budgets, could pour insane amounts of money into well-animated films, and still make a profit most of the time. There's still the occasional well-animated show today, but not nearly to the extent of those two decades.
Which is pretty messed up considering how much easier and cost effective it is to animate compared to back then. Paper, then cells, inked and paints mixed all layered over an oil painted background. No computers to streamline all this at a fraction of the time, also gotta mention how easy it is for them to edit/ make adjustments to literally they can do nowadays. Kinda sad really... seeing all the piss poor animation out there, with all the tools of today.

Which is pretty messed up considering how much easier and cost effective it is to animate compared to back then. Paper, then cells, inked and paints mixed all layered over an oil painted background. No computers to streamline all this at a fraction of the time, also gotta mention how easy it is for them to edit/ make adjustments to literally they can do nowadays. Kinda sad really... seeing all the piss poor animation out there, with all the tools of today.

A lot of that is due to ever increasing outsourcing(Inbetweens are said to be anywhere from 80-90% outsourced now) and a dearth of traditional animators and training of future generations as animation pays shit for long hours. There's also issues with stuff being produced for quarterly blocks now and such as well. The whole process they used to bring up animators has been disrupted and results are much more sloppy(Barring projects they threw a lot of money at).

That is one of the things I like about watching cel era animation. Not merely just the dramatic difference in the color photography it allows but the level of craftsmanship involved to create that stuff makes it incredibly impressive. They were also way more consistent with their contruction, rather that resorting to things blobbing between key frames.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I know it isn't Japanese, but does Wakfu count as anime?

Its style isn't for everyone, but I find it beautifully animated and consistent in quality.

Last edited:

Renoir

one of the better flash animation.. That studio does really good work. When i see theyre use of CGI and Flash, it soddenes me that they dont have the copyrights for things like Berserk or the recent Dragon Prince on Netflix.

Doom85

But there's the problem, you're comparing classic MOVIES to modern SHOWS, that's not quite fair, it's like complaining that Adventure Time doesn't look as good as The Lion King. Gaf had this problem like a year or two ago where everybody was just acting like classic stuff always looked better and to "prove" it they started posting screenshots that "conveniently" used movies/OVAs from the classic era but then used shows from the modern era and of course focused on quality shots for the former and bad shots for the latter. Thankfully somebody fired back with examples from actual shows from the classic era and some of their bad shots versus the new era and their shows' best shots to show the other extreme. Plus, that's the problem with looking back at the classic era, not many fans are capable of remembering the stuff that actually sucked and remember just what worked because that's generally how memory seems to work for entertainment. Just check out Bennett the Sage who does a series called Anime Abandon and he's found a TON of classic era movies and especially OVAs that are total garbage.

I mean, animation studios like Kyoto Animation, Bones, Madhouse, Ufotable, Trigger, Studio Wit, etc. have made some amazing looking series. I think the only period of anime that had it really rough when it came to animation was roughly 2000-2002, that was when they were transitioning their style of animation and as a result a lot of shows looked rough.

Top Bottom