• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Went to EB to pickup Elebits - Walked out with Elebits & a PS3 :/

Norse

same here...walked into target to buy my frozen soft pretzels and 3 ps3's were there. Right between me and the pretzels....got em both. If this thing didnt play blu ray, I would return it. Not up to 360 polish yet. Sony might be better off not having enough of these till march-may..maybe then they will have the OS and its gui polished. And goodness, suck it up and copy MS controller. This sixaxis shit blows. Slippery triggers ftl.

bill0527

Norse said:
same here...walked into target to buy my frozen soft pretzels and 3 ps3's were there. Right between me and the pretzels....got em both. If this thing didnt play blu ray, I would return it. Not up to 360 polish yet. Sony might be better off not having enough of these till march-may..maybe then they will have the OS and its gui polished. And goodness, suck it up and copy MS controller. This sixaxis shit blows. Slippery triggers ftl.

I pretty much agree with everything except your take on the controller. At least the Sixaxis has a somewhat functional D-Pad.

_Angelus_

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Just open it. Play Resistance and you'll be happy.

Worked for me.

Plus its loads of fun to download PS3 firmware patches and join in the Gaf bitchfest,youre missing out man.

Norse

bill0527 said:
I pretty much agree with everything except your take on the controller. At least the Sixaxis has a somewhat functional D-Pad.

thats the part MS needs to copy from Sony....put the tilt and d-pad from the sixaxis into a 360 controller and you have yourself the best damn controller ever made.

I want to know whose genius idea it was to make the Sixaxis triggers convex. Real triggers are concave for the exact purpose of preventing your finger from slipping off it when pressure is applied. The Sixaxis trigger design is just wrong.

Norse

Gary Whitta said:
I want to know whose genius idea it was to make the Sixaxis triggers convex. Real triggers are concave for the exact purpose of preventing your finger from slipping off it when pressure is applied. The Sixaxis trigger design is just wrong.

I almost think they put them on upside down...i swear I hate them.

Battersea Power Station said:
Holy ****. VJ is like one of the best action games of last gen, up there with Ninja Gaiden and DMC. How the hell is it just an ok game or a bad one?

Some people just suffer from the crazies at times, no need to be alarmed.

Jesus Christ, people, is PS3 really that bad? From the sounds of it, it's like buying a box full of floor tiles
haha

Edit: better question is this...if PS3 had some good games accompanying its launch, would it be worth it?

Norse

Moderation Unlimited said:
Jesus Christ, people, is PS3 really that bad? From the sounds of it, it's like buying a box full of floor tiles
haha

Edit: better question is this...if PS3 had some good games accompanying its launch, would it be worth it?

lets put it this way.....if the ps3 and x360 had the exact same games right now, and I could only keep one of the systems, I would keep the 360 w/ hd dvd addon. The ps3 just doesnt seem finished. And it isnt. Plus I prefer the 360 controllers by a huge margin. And LIVE is just great.

Hey, how come my backed up itunes dir full of mp3's cant be found by the ps3 when the usb drive is plugged in? Does it have to be a certain dir structure? That would blow chunks.

Norse said:
lets put it this way.....if the ps3 and x360 had the exact same games right now, and I could only keep one of the systems, I would keep the 360 w/ hd dvd addon. The ps3 just doesnt seem finished. And it isnt. Plus I prefer the 360 controllers by a huge margin. And LIVE is just great.

Hey, how come my backed up itunes dir full of mp3's cant be found by the ps3 when the usb drive is plugged in? Does it have to be a certain dir structure? That would blow chunks.

If it is a usb external HD make sure it is fat32 (which it should be) go to music, hit triangle and go to show all.
There was a walk through on ign

Danj

ShockingAlberto said:
You should impulse give it to charity.

I agree with this man. If you don't want it, give it to a worthy charity and get them to raffle it or something. It's not like you'll make a profit on eBay now anyway because of the saturation.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If you're going to give it to charity either donate it to Child's Play or you can return the system and donate its value in cash which is infinitely more useful than a video game system to most other charities.

If you're not in a giving mood I'd probably get in contact with a fellow Gaffer and see if you can make their holidays a bit brighter by selling it to them (NO SCALPING).

BioFan

same thing happened to me too...I'll eventually get a PS3 but definitely not right now, but was at bestbuy last week, they had 5, and just had to get one...I dont know why, but I did...now I got gamefly and rent ps3 games...there's nothing I want for PS3 at the moment. and there's no way I am spending anything more than the console right now
cant wait for VF5 tho...:D

[edit]
agree with what u guys said about PS3 being "unfinished". 360 is just much more polished. And ps3 controller is the worst...that thing is just so light, and without the rumble, it's like holding a piece of plastic rod. Just different than what I'm used to. The Shoponline looks like it is being put at last minute. Everything seems like it's slapped by a junior web designer or something. oh well...at least I can see bluray...but then again most bluray movies has no extras, but has better titles than hd-dvd...still hd-dvd seems a lot better right now, feature wise. The only thing I'm happy I own a PS3 right now is the fact that I have one...hahahaha...and that VF5 is just 3 months away :)

Bildi said:
Have you played Elebits yet?

Yes, not too long though. It's really strange, but deffenitely fun and I can see how it can get to be addictive.

I might end up keeping the PS3 - Ebay is over saturated anyway. I do want to play Resistance, but what else is out there that's good right now? I head the PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player.

bachikarn said:
Wasn't Taco Bell doing a promotion with 'donating' a PS3 to them and giving you $25,000 in Taco Bell store credit? You should totally do that. Thats like a billion tacos!

I emailed them and offered mine. I got no response. I think the offer may have been bogus.

I thought it would be a crack up to have credits for tacos for the rest of my life. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Juice said:
Everyone I know who owns a PS3 either regrets having opened it or has it sitting around with nothing to really do with it. (Which so far sounds a lot like my ownership of the PSP.)
except the PS3 is bound to get at least one good game in MGS4

Sounds like most of my launch console purchases. N64 was the worst for 'play couple of launch games, put it in the cupboard for 6 months'

Just keep it. There are games you want for it in the next few months, and the potential premium on ebay isn't worth the hassle or risk of not making your money back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Norse said:

Odd hypothetical, but I don't know how you can pick the 360. Yes the controller is better (triggers on sixaxis suck) but the PS3 is quieter, has more support for video formats, nicer UI in the OS (IMO), prettier, plays HD discs without an external add on.

Course they don't both have the same games, so its a moot point and you have to own both.

The PS3 will automatically look in a folder called MUSIC for your music. You can press the triangle button and select 'show all' to get a file browser to look in other folders.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
hay guys, I buy stuff I think is stupid too, then I tell everybody about it on the Internets!

sorry I couldnt help it. :/

kiUNiT

Bad_Boy said:
hay guys, I buy stuff I think is stupid too, then I tell everybody about it on the Internets!

sorry I couldnt help it. :/

Your critique would make sense if this wasn't posted on a gaming forum about a hard to find most sought after console.
this is the Wii were talking about right?:)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
speculawyer said:
:lol

I still have an unopened PS3 from launch day. I should have eBayed it immediately . . . but now the premium is hardly worth it. With Gears, Rainbow 6, Splinter cell, Saint's Row, Oblivion, etc. . . . the xbox 360 is keeping me plenty busy.

YOU ARE APART OF THE PROBLEM!!!

mrklaw said:
Odd hypothetical, but I don't know how you can pick the 360. Yes the controller is better (triggers on sixaxis suck) but the PS3 is quieter, has more support for video formats, nicer UI in the OS (IMO), prettier, plays HD discs without an external add on.

The answer to your puzzlement lies within.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Most impusle buys from me involve snacks and junk food.

that's because you are poor and fat.

what's the first killer app for PS3 coming?

bumpkin

I was at my local TRU last night, and they had a 20GB PS3 in stock as well. I snickered just a little bit.

You know what else they had? Copies of Zelda for the 'Cube.

It was like I had walked into a parallel universe of what nobody else has in stock.... Well, except for nunchuks, which they were out of still.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
"Don't smell it, SELL IT!"

turtle.jpg

rs7k

squarepants said:
I overheard the guys behind the counter talking about having 1 20GB left in the back. I was almost able to walk out with just Elebits, but I couldn't resist. and I don't even want a stupid PS3 :(

Whats the deal with impulse video game purchases?

So it sits in front of me, still in box. Should I open it? Ebay it? Kick it?

stupid video games!

I did the exact same thing two days ago. I went to Future Shop to buy a slim PS2. I saw the silver one bought it, then I went back because I forgot to get a S-Video cable. I saw one PS3 sitting on the floor and I snapped it up without thinking about it twice.

I didn't even want it in the first place, now it looks so tempting.

The funny thing is that I sold the first PS3 I got for $1200, even after opening it and playing it. So this PS3 is basically "free" (if only I didn't have other things I could use the money for). I have a 360 though, so it's not like I'm missing out on next-gen if I don't end up using it.

Jake.

why do people buy consoles at launch (or soon after) and the complain about the lack of good games? stupid.

rs7k

If any Gaffers want to help me get rid of my 20GB PS3, let me know. I'll sell it to make the money back + a reasonable fee. Don't worry, I'm reasonable.

ebay the ps3 and then ebay the ps3 box separately.

it can be your first foray into being an ebay scammer.
see, something good can come out of this impulse purchase tomfoolery after all! :lol

Top Bottom