• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're having a boy! GAF help me me names

Noaloha

1094311-title.png

"Hey there little Armok, little kiddyboo, my little Armikins! Who's a cutie-pie, who's a sweetypops? You are Armok, yes you are, yes you are!"

emb

GAF,

WE'RE HAVING A BOY!
Found out this morning - so thrilled (though would have been just as thrilled if a girl!)

I was rooting for the name Lucas (Smash Bros/Mother) but Mrs.Avatar isn't going for it.

Please GAF help us come up with a good name - I'd like something gaming related of course!

I love Nintendo, Metal Gear, Smash, Halo, a lot of Japanese stuff particularly (yes I know Halo isn't Japanese.)

Help me GAF, you're my only hope, without you Mini-Avatar will be named something from the Famous Five or something - help!!
Could name him David after David Hayter. RIPIP in peace. Roy and Jack could also be used for Metal Gear characters.

You have Richard and Ralph from the Zelda games on the game boy. Jeff from Earthbound. Louis after Doc Louis from Punchout. Hector for the Fire Emblem character. James for James McCloud. Several names could come from Pokemon: Gary, Ethan, Brendan, Wes. Mario is actually a pretty cool name too, but it may seem too blatant if you aren't Italian. Advance Wars has plenty of usable names, like Andy and Max. Golden Sun isn't bad either; Isaac would be cool name. Garret and Felix aren't bad.

JediLink

Have you played Virtue's Last Reward?

Sigma.
It really bothers me that of the nine characters in VLR, three of them are just named after letters.
Well K stands for Kyle but still.
It's just lazy. Don't be lazy like the VLR character designers, OP.

GAF,

WE'RE HAVING A BOY!
Found out this morning - so thrilled (though would have been just as thrilled if a girl!)

I was rooting for the name Lucas (Smash Bros/Mother) but Mrs.Avatar isn't going for it.

Please GAF help us come up with a good name - I'd like something gaming related of course!

I love Nintendo, Metal Gear, Smash, Halo, a lot of Japanese stuff particularly (yes I know Halo isn't Japanese.)

Help me GAF, you're my only hope, without you Mini-Avatar will be named something from the Famous Five or something - help!!

Ness is the best name for a boy. Just make sure to call him ever so often.

Ultima_5

why would you name your kid after a video game character. do you really want them to grow up and whenever they discuss names with other people they have to say "yah. my dad really like this gameboy game"

Mononoke

Banned
I would just say, be mindful of your child. ie. That this will be his name, and something he has to live with for a long time (our name becomes apart of our identity). It's cool that you want to name him based off of something you are passionate about. You obviously mean well. But sometimes it's not a good thing to name someone based purely on your own gratification, but something you think will be a good fit for them.

TLDR; don't name your child solely for your own reasons, but what you think will be a good name that they will like (obviously you can't predict what they will or won't like, but you get what I mean).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Name him Tirion after the WoW char and everyone will think it will be a slight change to the spelling of Tyrion from game of thrones!

ohlawd

why would you name your kid after a video game character. do you really want them to grow up and whenever they discuss names with other people they have to say "yah. my dad really like this gameboy game"
happens only with video game names like... Sephiroth >_>

Lucas is a familiar name.

Kaversmed

Congrats man! I'm having a boy as well (in a month) and we can't figure out a name either. Not sure I feel like him getting a game character name though :D

Ocaso

John (aka Master Chief)

Do not name your child John just because of Master Chief. It's obviously a common name and no one will get the reference.

I'd avoid obvious game names anyway. Go for something practical and culturally appropriate.

Edit:

Could name him David after David Hayter. RIPIP in peace. Roy and Jack could also be used for Metal Gear characters.

You have Richard and Ralph from the Zelda games on the game boy. Jeff from Earthbound. Louis after Doc Louis from Punchout. Hector for the Fire Emblem character. James for James McCloud. Several names could come from Pokemon: Gary, Ethan, Brendan, Wes. Mario is actually a pretty cool name too, but it may seem too blatant if you aren't Italian. Advance Wars has plenty of usable names, like Andy and Max. Golden Sun isn't bad either; Isaac would be cool name. Garret and Felix aren't bad.

This post has some practical suggestions. My vote would go to Garrett, as it's not too common, but not weird either.

GAF,

WE'RE HAVING A BOY!

Metal gear you say? Hmm..,

Ames
David
John
Huey
Kaz
Frank
Gray Fox
Johnny
Solidus
Liquid
Solid
Raiden
Jack
The fear
The sorrow
The pain
Adam
Adamska
Eli
Emmerich
Hal

soepje

Guybrush? That's the stupidest name I've ever heard. OP, you should name your lad Mancomb. Mancomb Seepgood.
Hehe :p

Indeed. When it comes to this sort of stuff i´m always reminded of this local ''celebrity'' who named her kid Beautifull Hope (spelling mistake included). After some character from the B movie You Got Served (rated 3.3 on IMDB). Poor kid will have to include and explain the spelling from the moment it's able to write :(

I guess going for a name like Vince, John or Lee isn't that bad. Just naming it after a character in secret :p

GoaThief

Naming your kid after a computer game character is just mental.

Especially when you can call him Groot.
Perfect. Room wondered what I was laughing at.

Keeping up with the video game theme, Marley. If you've a grandiose surname definitely go for LeChuck as at least a middle name.

Fireblend

Banned
Name him Serge. Chrono Cross is a great game,
and it's also my name. Technically Sergio, but it's pretty much the same :p

Top Bottom