• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We're the geeks, the prostitutes': Asian American actors on Hollywood's barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as people like to clown Tyler Perry (myself included), he keeps black actors and actresses employed even if they don't meet the beauty and age standard of Hollywood. He even put some Hispanic people like Sophia Vergara in roles before they got their big American breakthrough (Modern Family).

It may take an alliance of audiences to catapult Asian American actors to the mainstream. You may need the help of a black audience to help get more attention. Black women have proven to be a powerhouse audience when there is a lead on a show like them. Shows like Empire, Scandal, How to get away with murder wouldn't have been on the air 10 years ago. But once it was proven that there was an audience shows like the Flash have been more willing to cast black women or even make the main heroine one. You may need a show with an Asian male lead and a Black female lead to break barriers.

guek

Banned
In terms of Hollywood conceptions, or preconceptions. They don't have the "physique" like you're not going to get someone built on par with Chris Pratt.

Excuuuuuse me?

grid-cell-15944-1376582208-10.jpg

original-grid-image-2146-1376492761-40.jpg

original-grid-image-21106-1376497373-7.jpg

original-grid-image-16018-1376581997-33.jpg

c'mon son!

wandering

Banned
In terms of Hollywood conceptions, or preconceptions. They don't have the "physique" like you're not going to get someone built on par with Chris Pratt.

Lol what at this entire post. If you think all Asians are skinny and can't build muscle maybe you need to get out more.

JZA

Pretty much why I like Into the Badlands, because the lead character is Asian and knows martial arts, but there seems to be good representation of both genders and basically every other ethnicity in the fight choreography, and it actually makes sense in the setting of the series. Finished the first season and I don't remember seeing any of the typical typecast Asian "technoperson/scientist/doctor" or Asian "femme fatale/racy" characters.

Excuuuuuse me?

c'mon son!

Lol what at this entire post. If you think all Asians are skinny and can't build muscle maybe you need to get out more.

It's funny, because you're using exceptions to prove him wrong. On average, Asian men aren't built like White men, but here's the most important part; they shouldn't have to be to be considered Hot.

I remember there were a couple of articles about this phenomenon about posting "hot" Asian men after Steve Harvey made his joke such as this one:

Asian men shouldn't need to meet Western masculinity standards to be considered ”hot"

In fact, these hyper-hot galleries underscore the fact that these guys are exceptions to the rule; that by reaching an optimal standard of Western masculine beauty, these Asian men have managed to overcome their racialized lack of appeal.

boiled goose

good with gravy
In terms of Hollywood conceptions, or preconceptions. They don't have the "physique" like you're not going to get someone built on par with Chris Pratt. Unfortunately I believe that there is also a racist bias around the idea of "the eyes being a window to the soul" and that the kind of physical difference in eye shape between Asians and Whites, is different with the white mans eyes being preferred due to being more "open".

For women, there's that eye thing, and also they don't suit what is considered "hot in hollywood" The Asian boobs aren't big enough nor are the curves dare I assume.

So for example, there isn't an Asian actress out there thats anywhere close to bankable as Emma Watson or Scarlett Jo. Or on par in Hollywoods idea of Camera Beauty.

So naturally, they'll all be characterized as lesser looking and will predominantly find themselves in the "odd ball" character class. I think it's getting better though.

Generalizations the post.
Because all white actresses look like Scar Jo or Chris Pratt and because there are no muscular or curvy Asians.

The "eye thing"... wtf. I can't.

Clearly yes. There are preconceptions about what "races" look like.

It's like a 14 year old with no exposure to real people wrote this post.

It's funny, because you're using exceptions to prove him wrong. On average, Asian men aren't built like White men, but here's the most important part; they shouldn't have to be to be considered Hot.

I remember there were a couple of articles about this phenomenon about posting "hot" Asian men after Steve Harvey made his joke such as this one:

Asian men shouldn’t need to meet Western masculinity standards to be considered “hot”

Yes. Because jackes Chris Pratt looks like the average white dude.

I mean, Herr's statement is pretty much an neon-lit example of why representation is important at all. Without diversity, all people will go off of is a stereotype.

Because all white actresses look like Scar Jo or Chris Pratt and because there are no muscular or curvy Asians.

I mean Chris Pratt is 6'2.

wandering

Banned

Asian men shouldn't need to meet Western masculinity standards to be considered ”hot"

You know what lightskin, oftentimes it really just feels like all you're doing in every Asian thread is throwing out thinly-veiled snide insults disguised as shallow concern for the Asian American community. Maybe you're really just naive, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't give a damn about your preconceptions about the "average" build of an Asian man (as if the average white man is built like Chris Pratt or something?).

It's funny, because I feel like you wouldn't have a problem with people using black computer scientists or doctors as an example of black excellence, even though they're "exceptions."

It's interesting looking at the broadcast and cable percentages being pretty good at 4.9 percent, probably due to shows like fresh off the boat,etc. The actual percentage of Asian Americans in the US is 5.6 percent so they are pretty close there. Now just need film to catch up.

As a side note, Hispanic/Latino Americans are really underrepresented in the US considering their population percentage of the US. When shows like George Lopez stopped, I feel like nothing has took their place.

You know what lightskin, oftentimes it really just feels like all you're doing in every Asian thread is throwing out thinly veiled snide insults disguised as shallow concern for the Asian American community. Maybe you're really just naive, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't give a damn about your preconceptions about the "average" build of an Asian man (as if the average white man is built like Chris Pratt or something?).

It's funny, because I feel like you wouldn't have a problem with people using black computer scientists or doctors as an example of black excellence, even though they're "exceptions."

What? I disagreed with that posters point in general, however I'm sure there's a racial bias that comes from Western Ideal beauty from casting directors and posting Asian men that fit that doesn't help when they shouldn't have to is the bigger point.

His point though was Asian Men on average aren't built like White Men. Agree? Disagree?

Care to address the editorial I posted written by an Asian American?

We're literally talking about body types and Hollywood racial biases, and you've equivocated it to Black computer scientists and doctors being exceptions. WTF

Pretty much why I like Into the Badlands, because the lead character is Asian and knows martial arts, but there seems to be good representation of both genders and basically every other ethnicity in the fight choreography, and it actually makes sense in the setting of the series. Finished the first season and I don't remember seeing any of the typical typecast Asian "technoperson/scientist/doctor" or Asian "femme fatale/racy" characters.

Great example of a show that seems to be doing everything right but is getting almost no attention. Its ratings are decent but they are 25-30% below season 1 ratings, and its a show that followed immediately after The Walking Dead which is the highest watch television show on TV (TWD has ended its season while Badlands is in the middle of season 2).

So everyone wants more asian actors on TV, and better representation, and a show comes around that has it, and ... few are talking about it or watching it. What is a network supposed to do?

It is the third highest AMC show (after TWD and fear the walking dead) although probably Better Call Saul will pass it up now that TWD bump is gone. So its definitely got fans, but I definitely see a lot fewer people talk about it.

Marco Polo is another example I'd say, while there was some western fetishization around Marco Polo the show had a lot of asian/AA actors and it was a beautiful show but it seems like not a lot of people really wanted to watch it on netflix, it got cancelled after 2 seasons. It was extremely expensive so that was probably the key reason but it was another show that had almost no buzz or talk.

guek

Banned

Asian men shouldn’t need to meet Western masculinity standards to be considered “hot”

How do you think Asian men are built? How do you think white men are built, for that matter? There's a ton of variety regardless, but buff Asian men aren't some kind of unicorn. That's...a really disturbing thing to imply. If anything, male movie stars in Asia have an even more narrow definition of beauty that usually requires men to have six pack abs. The trend there is usually slightly slimmer and less bulky than their western counterparts but they still need to be pretty ripped. While Asian men in the west often need to be hyper-masculine in order to garner any attention, Hollywood does the same thing for white men all the time. The usual exception is with comedic roles, but people like Ken Jeong, John Cho, and Randall Park fit that model as well.

The problem isn't with how Asian men are built like you're saying. Again, that's a very odd thing to say. Buff Asian men aren't any more rare among Asians than buff white men are among white males.

Zoe

As a side note, Hispanic/Latino Americans are really underrepresented in the US considering their population percentage of the US. When shows like George Lopez stopped, I feel like nothing has took their place.

There's Jane the Virgin. On the same network as Crazy Ex-Girlfriend!

Nelo Ice

Banned
I really liked that The Good Place had such a diverse cast. I wish more shows did that (and if possible with more diversity among leads for that matter).
The show is amazing but yeah I absolutely loved how diverse the cast was and same with Power Rangers that was mentioned earlier.

Zoe

What? I disagreed with that posters point in general, however I'm sure there's a racial bias that comes from Western Ideal beauty from casting directors and posting Asian men that fit that doesn't help when they shouldn't have to is the bigger point.

His point though was Asian Men on average aren't built like White Men. Agree? Disagree?

We're literally talking about body types and Hollywood racial biases, and you've equivocated it to Black computer scientists and doctors being exceptions. WTF

You're saying guek posted all exceptions without acknowledging that the hot white guys in Hollywood are exceptions themselves.

The current hot guy bod (Chris Pratt) isn't even universally desired if you were to ask their actress wives.

wandering

Banned

No, his point was that no Asian men are well built at all. Go back and take a look at his wording.

My point is that hey, there are Asian men who are well built.

Then you come in with your "well, that's an exception" talk.

You don't at all see how that could be a little tone-deaf?

I don't need to address the editorial, if you're actually interested in an opinion here's a comment from the r/asianamerican subreddit.

My analogy was simple. Asian Americans are often attacked physically. Athletic Asians are seen as exceptions. Black Americans are often attacked intellectually. Highly-paid professional black people are seen as exceptions. To point out that they're exceptions in either case is pretty shitty and ignorant of social context.

How do you think Asian men are built? How do you think white men are built, for that matter? There's a ton of variety regardless, but buff Asian men aren't some kind of unicorn. That's...a really disturbing thing to imply. If anything, male movie stars in Asia have an even more narrow definition of beauty that usually requires men to have six pack abs. The trend there is usually slightly slimmer and less bulky than their western counterparts but they still need to be pretty ripped. While Asian men in the west often need to be hyper-masculine in order to garner any attention, Hollywood does the same thing for white men all the time. The usual exception is with comedic roles, but people like Ken Jeong, John Cho, and Randall Park fit that model as well.

The problem isn't with how Asian men are built like you're saying. Again, that's a very odd thing to say. Buff Asian men aren't any more rare among Asians than buff white men are among white males.

I think the point is they shouldn't have to meet western ideals to be considered "HOT". You could be right, but there's obviously a problem with Hollywood casting if they rarely ever cast them as Hot or desirable. For example, the Asian guy in Edge of Seventeen is a good looking guy with a six pack, and he's playing a rich, somewhat social awkward guy that desires the main lead character, but she's feenin' for this skinny White guy.

You're saying guek posted all exceptions without acknowledging that the hot white guys in Hollywood are exceptions themselves.

The current hot guy bod (Chris Pratt) isn't even universally desired if you were to ask their actress wives.

No I meant White guys meeting Western Ideal beauty standards are the norm, compared to everybody else.

Was nice to see edge of seventeen, the Asian guy is treated nicely

It was ok, I'm still kinda critical of it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
And then you have the likes of Ken Jeong embarassing himself and Asian Americans for a laugh. They just can't get a win.
That guy always puts on a great performance, but it's true that he rolls with the stereotypes pretty hard sometimes.

I just looked him up and it turns out he's actually a licensed doctor. Holy shit.

No, his point was that no Asian men are well built at all. Go back and take a look at his wording.

My point is that hey, there are Asian men who are well built.

Then you come in with your "well, that's an exception" talk.

You don't at all see how that could be a little tone-deaf?

I don't need to address the editorial, if you're actually interested in an opinion here's a comment from the r/asianamerican subreddit.

My analogy was simple. Asian Americans are often attacked physically. Athletic Asians are seen as exceptions. Black Americans are often attacked intellectually. Highly-paid professional black people are seen as exceptions. To point out that they're exceptions in either case is pretty shitty and ignorant of social context.

Ok, I see your point. I misread his point and thought he was just talking about the average White dude and Western Ideal Beauty. Obviously Asian Men can be buff, anybody can be buff; it's science. LOL

You know what you're definitely right, and I apologize because that wasn't what I meant.

And I appreciate you calling me out and correcting me.

Edit: Just read that reply in that reddit link and it was a great rebuttal. Did you write that? See that's why I like engaging because it makes me consider things I would otherwise miss.

It's like a 14 year old with no exposure to real people wrote this post.

The post is entirely speculative to the motivations of Holloywood top honchos hence why I prefaced it with "in terms of the preconceptions in Hollywood"

My personal opinion would be to choose any actor/actress that would ultimately bring truth to the role they are cast in.

I think you're jumping the gun and pissing your pants here guy. You're not going to comprehend and thereby combat systemic racism without identifying the methods of thought these folks go through.

wandering

Banned
Ok, I see your point. I misread his point and thought he was just talking about the average White dude and Western Ideal Beauty. Obviously Asian Men can be buff, anybody can be buff; it's science. LOL

You know what you're definitely right, and I apologize because that wasn't what I meant.

Edit: Just read that reply in that reddit link and it was a great rebuttal. Did you write that? See that's why I like engaging because it makes me consider things I would otherwise miss.

No worries, thanks for understanding. And sorry for my aggressiveness.

Nah the comment's not mine, just one that I found insightful. That subreddit's not always great but there are some people there with good commentary.

Nah the comment's not mine, just one that I found insightful. That subreddit's not always great but there are some people there with good commentary.

Nah, you were right in being aggressive, I totally forgot about Asians being attacked physically that I didn't realize how me calling those examples as exceptions was being offensive. I deserved a slap. LOL

i wasn't payin attention to your convo but i'm glad you two were able to resolve this like men.

too often arguments on GAF happen and people start reacting like one insulted the other and their whole family and it gets so hostile and the next thing you know someone even ends up on an ignore

mr2xxx

Banned
It'll be interesting to see China''s influence to this problem. While it'll most likely be non-Asian Americans benefiting in the short term, it should at least increase the variety of roles Asians get in the future.

Not

Banned
Hollywood screenwriters see the heroes in their stories as any race but Asian is what those casting calls are telling me.

Pretty stupid. I really thought Glenn in TWD would break down the doors. Nope.

I dont even get how we are talking about build. Unless this is specifically about height I dont get how we are saying Asians aren't built. Chris Prat wasnt always jacked outta his mind, he got a role and then he . . .gasp . . . Got fit for it.

This point has always been weird to me. Go to a gym and you can find white, black, asian people who are muscular amd fit as hell. A build isnt the issue. When people say you wont find many Asians like Chris Prat they aren't talking with logic, they are talking with racism.

It'll be interesting to see China''s influence to this problem. While it'll most likely be non-Asian Americans benefiting in the short term, it should at least increase the variety of roles Asians get in the future.

See I think if Hollywood had more foresight, they could groom an Asian American male star that could be huge not only domestically but internationally particularly in Asian countries.

I dont even get how we are talking about build. Unless this is specifically about height I dont get how we are saying Asians aren't built. Chris Prat wasnt always jacked outta his mind, he got a role and then he . . .gasp . . . Got fit for it.

This point has always been weird to me. Go to a gym and you can find white, black, asian people who are muscular amd fit as hell. A build isnt the issue. When people say you wont find many Asians like Chris Prat they aren't talking with logic, they are talking with racism.

The poster was talking about preconceived notions in Hollywood which are probably rooted in racism.

erragal

The build stereotype is everywhere. I'm not sure people believed me when I told them the average dude in Harbin was bigger than the average dude in Pittsburgh, and the largest men (and women for that matter) in northern China are truly imposing. It doesn't fit with what they ' know'.

Buckle

This is definitely what I'm hoping for as they start to get more of Hollywood's attention.

Chinese stars thrown into American films will benefit from it the most at the beginning but hopefully it could be good for asian actors in general over time if it can became more commonly accepted as a result.

Zoe

This is definitely what I'm hoping for as they start to get more of Hollywood's attention.

Chinese stars thrown into American films will benefit from it the most at the beginning but it should be good for asian actors in general over time if it can became more commonly accepted as a result.

But those Chinese stars are always being put in foreign roles.

norm9

For Asians and Asian Americans to succeed, it'll need the support of the rest of the minority community. Think back to the Kung Fu movies and Bruce Lee. Other than Asians, the biggest fans were the African American community who saw an "other" kicking ass for the first time. They saw that they didn't need white people. I'm not sure how much influence that had on Van peebles in his motivation to make movies as I'm not near a computer to reference dates, but I'm sure seeing minorities not being servile for once had to have a little bit of influence. He was groundbreaking. We all gotta stick togetger.

Like a poster mentioned earlier, maybe a tv show with a black woman and an Asian man, the unicorn of relationships, might help Kickstart more exposure.

ezrarh

Give us another decade or two on the western diet and we'll be obese like the average white man.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Watched the trailer for Jasmine this morning which looks meh, but it was almost jarring to see an Asian lead speaking English and not doing stunts.

For Asians and Asian Americans to succeed, it'll need the support of the rest of the minority community. Think back to the Kung Fu movies and Bruce Lee. Other than Asians, the biggest fans were the African American community who saw an "other" kicking ass for the first time. They saw that they didn't need white people. I'm not sure how much influence that had on Van peebles in his motivation to make movies as I'm not near a computer to reference dates, but I'm sure seeing minorities not being servile for once had to have a little bit of influence. He was groundbreaking. We all gotta stick togetger.

Like a poster mentioned earlier, maybe a tv show with a black woman and an Asian man, the unicorn of relationships, might help Kickstart more exposure.

Van Peebles was making films in the 60's. However you're right about the popularity of Kung Fu Films in African American communities. Hollywood studios have known about this data for awhile, that's why when Jet Li and Jackie Chan came over they were matching them with Hip Hop/R&B Music, DMX, Aaliyah, Chris Tucker.

Give us another decade or two on the western diet and we'll be obese like the average white man.

GOTDAMN.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This is neoga!. At this point you're supposed to double down, move the goalposts and link to a slightly racist editorial that has nothing to do with the original topic!

kswiston

There is something to be said about the American ideal for tall men vs typical height ranges for Asian males if we are just talking about perceived attractiveness in general. We get at least 2-3 threads a year here complaining about women on dating sites stating that they won't date short guys (even if they are short themselves). In Hollywood, Tom Cruise being 5'7" has been a running joke for decades. Would a lot of the "I don't date Asian guys" statements apply if said Asian guy was 6'2", in great shape, and had the face of a model? Probably not.

With millions of people to pick from, there's not going to be a shortage of taller Asian guys if that's what they are looking for in their action stars. Han from the Fast films is pretty tall.

Even when it comes to height there are a ton of White actors who are, or were, considered sexy, and they're not even tall lol.

Tom Cruise - 5'7"

Tom Hardy - 5'9"

Jason Statham - 5'10"

RDJ - 5'8"

Johnny Depp - 5'10"

Zac Efron - 5'8"

Mark Wahlberg - 5'8"

Matt Damon - 5'10"

etc, etc....

Plus those are just listed heights, which means a lot of them are probably shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom