• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

West Wing aides fearful of directly attacking Comey, outsourcing the task

Is Wikileaks going to join this flying circus of a defense force?

I'm beginning to think the reaction to Comey might be more significant than the testimony itself.

RNC is off to a good start. They essentially legitimized Comey's memos in their rush to prove Trump was right

They don't care about contradiction. If they can go on about "leaks" and still say the "leaked" information isn't true, why would a little thing like cherry-picking from Comey's testimony bother them?

It sure would be nice if GOP voters had even a moment of pause in the face of blatant contradictions and transparent lies, but it doesn't seem like that's happening. Or at least, not enough to matter.

FStubbs

Congressional Republicans will be more than up to the task of grilling Comey tomorrow.

Tomorrow will look like Comey is on trial. The GOP will attempt to discredit him at every turn, and you'll probably hear a lot about Hillary's emails.

One two Mueller's coming for you

1EaZrQR.jpg

I think it's really stupid for the Republican machinery in general to attack Comey. First, he's a Republican, and he represents a very real faction of NatSec oriented moderate Republicans that are a crucial part of their elite backers. Maybe they've decided those people don't matter because they'll vote Republican anyway, but I definitely wouldn't take that for granted.

Second, right now the Republican party is not involved in this scandal. Everyone directly connected to the potential scandal are all Trumpites with no real connection to the party as a whole. By choosing to own the scandal, they unnecessarily risk downside if it ends up costing them in terms of public opinion. And there's no upside, because if he is vindicated in some way, it's not going to cause the public to embrace him.

If I was the RNC, I'd want to go with "We believe the Special Counsel's investigation will vindicate the President's actions during and since the campaign. We remain focused on the important task of blah blah blah jobs blah blah blah fighting ISIS blah blah blah punching orphans."

Let it also be noted that I actually think Republicans are in a better position if Mike Pence [remember: he's the guy that Flynn lied to, he is the victim of the Russian conspiracy] is President, and while there's some interim pain, I would think they'd come out the other end and recover pretty quickly.

Great points. I think it's mainly disheartening because it makes me ask, yet again, what is the fucking line for these Republicans? When will they stop endorsing this shit? What's it gonna take?

Not like I expected this to be the line given all the other ones they've crossed.

FStubbs

Great points. I think it's mainly disheartening because it makes me ask, yet again, what is the fucking line for these Republicans? When will they stop endorsing this shit? What's it gonna take?

Not like I expected this to be the line given all the other ones they've crossed.

I don't think there is this "line" between the GOP and Trumpites.

Pence? Manafort was running the show and he picked Pence for Trump. Wouldn't surprise me if Pence is tied deeper in than we think.

Sessions is an old bigot from Alabama and he's tied in to Russia.

Mitch McConnell's wife is part of Trump's cabinet.

While I think the majority of Republicans are backing Trump due to liking his bigotry and wanting their evil platform in at all costs, I think a lot of them are also tied up in this Russia thing, and it's to their benefit to try to squash it.

shiba5

Senator Burr on Comey's prepared testimony for tomorrow's hearing: "I don't think from what I've read there's evidence of wrongdoing."

FFS

I fantasize about this all the time but personally I lean more toward all these fuckers will get off and thrive in the new cesspool America they've created.
I know, but we gotta keep in mind that 48 out of 69 people were found guilty when charges were brought against them during the watergate scandal. This is so much bigger that I honestly wouldn't find it strange if over a hundred people were charged. I'm still not naive, though. These days I feel the US isn't corrupt so much as it is obsessed with trying to keep up the facade of a moral high ground and stability. It should all come crashing down with this administration. Maybe then Americans will stop being so apathetic.

Trump really is spooked by Comey's testimony. He must have told him much more than what we know of. Wish I could watch the hearing, but I'll be at work when it starts.

Raven117

There is no way on this planet that Comey says he thought Trump was obstructing justice.

No way. That puts too much of the blame on Comey.

Comey at BEST will say "looking at the totality of the circumstances, I now believe I was being threatened and coerced to ending the investigation or be fired."

I doubt we will even get that.

I think Comey gives a scathing testimony as to how reckless and idiotic Trump was.

Honestly, it will probably be a lot like the Hillary thing. Just my prediction.

Tovarisc

There is no way on this planet that Comey says he thought Trump was obstructing justice.

No way. That puts too much of the blame on Comey.

Comey at BEST will say "looking at the totality of the circumstances, I now believe I was being threatened and coerced to ending the investigation or be fired."

I doubt we will even get that.

I think Comey gives a scathing testimony as to how reckless and idiotic Trump was.

Honestly, it will probably be a lot like the Hillary thing. Just my prediction.

He is civilian. It isn't his place to make conclusion that Trump obstructed justice.

He can and will give what puzzle pieces he can.

10AM EST tomorrow.

It'll be on network TV as well. CBS confirmed that. dunno about other channels but this is pretty big.

Last I heard every major channel carries this live. CNN and NBC will have pregame warm ups starting 9AM.

Raven117

He is civilian. It isn't his place to make conclusion that Trump obstructed justice.

He can and will give what puzzle pieces he can.

Last I heard every major channel carries this live. CNN and NBC will have pregame warm ups starting 9AM.

I know. But he will be asked whether in his judgment as a lawyer and head of the FBI whether he thought at the time Trump was obstructing justice. He will say no. (Im just guessing).

We will see though. Im just saying I sincerely doubt anything truly earth-shattering will come of this.

Tovarisc

I know. But he will be asked whether in his judgment as a lawyer and head of the FBI whether he thought at the time Trump was obstructing justice. He will say no. (Im just guessing).

We will see though. Im just saying I sincerely doubt anything truly earth-shattering will come of this.

I imagine he dodges it instead of direct yes or no. He wants to leave that conclusion for Mueller to do and not box him in.

Raven117

I imagine he dodges it instead of direct yes or no. He wants to leave that conclusion for Mueller to do and not box him in.

That and it would indicate his own culpability.

There is going to be a lot of dodging...he has to. IMO all we are going to get is "Trump is an idiot" from him.

Geist-

White House aides are trying to keep Trump busy Thursday morning with meetings so he won't watch TV and tweet during the hearing.
Good-fucking-luck.

It is so surreal reading stuff like this every day. The President of the United States being handled by aides like a senile old man because he can't be trusted to act maturely.

When are we going to find out he actually is going senile?

The aim at the RNC is to depict Comey as a disgruntled former employee out to destroy the president who fired him.
Right. That's why he took all those notes about Trump trying to get him to lay off of Flynn, while also praising Comey.

By the way, is the administration still using the RNC servers to host their email, as GW Bush did?

Brashnir

White House aides are trying to keep Trump busy Thursday morning with meetings so he won't watch TV and tweet during the hearing.

I mean, I don't want to help them out or anything, but shining a laser pointer on the floor and making him chase it up the curtains for a few hours would probably do the trick.

commedieu

Banned
They are trying to smear a witness. The white house, is trying to smear a witness.

This is revolting. But too bad no one can block traffic, or protest the right way, else American citizens would be out on the streets. This isn't even the joke of democracy we had before.

We've got a dictator trying to tear down someone who he doesn't like. And using our taxes to do so, when he's not as his private fucking resort, charging us for his security.

Amazing.

Edit:

I mean Russia.

Edit:

Well white house, russia. Same thing these days.

Top Bottom