• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western games released exclusively in Japan

Falk

that puzzling face
308994_front.jpg

Made by Bullfrog. Published by EA. Released only in Japan.

I want this.

boyshine

Never thought you would have it in the OP, but Spyro's Adventure for Wii U was the one I came to post as well. Annoys me a lot, because with it I could have a complete Skylanders collection all on one console.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The Black Onyx comes to mind. Would be the first JRPG ever if not for the fact that it was made by an American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Onyx

blackonyx_game_screen.jpg

Henk Rogers was Dutch iirc, but Black Onyx wasn't the first Japanese-developed RPG. Hardcore Gaming 101's blog had a whole series of articles on early, pre-DQ RPGs coming out of Japan from companies like Koei (The Dragon and the Princess), Falcom (Panorama Toh), and ASCII (Bokosuka Wars). Unfortunately, I can't seem to access those articles at the moment... site seems to be down.

Glowsquid

No; movie DVD subtitled in Japanese (the English line is "This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.")

The translator's note for a Beavis and Butthead episode must be amazing.

-----

Hmmm, looks like Gundam War For Earth was indeed released in the west after all, though it must be very rare. I found this on twitter

f3Yuctp.jpg

shar aznabull

univbee

The translator's note for a Beavis and Butthead episode must be amazing.

Non-book professional translations generally don't do them, although Japanese does have a weird built-in shorthand way of doing it with subtitles through furigana. Generally it's all about modifying the pun or whatever so it works in the target language, though.

Ubisoft Paris made several Japan-exclusive Just Dance games such as "Just Dance Wii" (2011), "Just Dance Wii 2" (2012), "Just Dance Wii U" (2014) and "Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Edition" (2015).
They contain a mix of songs from the Western Just Dance games and Japan-exclusive songs.

Glowsquid

Bumping this thread because I just remembered there was a Japan-exclusive PC port of the first Twisted Metal.

7Ht4a5J.jpg

5.jpg

Gameplay footage

Beside minor graphical differences, the biggest change it does is that it replace Darkside's special with a freeze ray. This version is so insanely rare and obscure that most game database sites don't even list it.

In an interview, a Singletrac employee says a PC port of Warhawk was also released in Japan but I wasn't able to find any information on that version beside that the ERSB rated it for Windows. Was it actually released?

Bumping this thread because I just remembered there was a Japan-exclusive PC port of the first Twisted Metal.

7Ht4a5J.jpg

5.jpg

Gameplay footage

Beside minor graphical differences, the biggest change it does is that it replace Darkside's special with a freeze ray. This version is so insanely rare and obscure that most game database sites don't even list it.

In an interview, a Singletrac employee says a PC port of Warhawk was also released in Japan but I wasn't able to find any information on that version. Does it actually exist?

Huh. There's so much lost or forgotten stuff from that format over there. Learn something new every day.

Why would you make a PC port of Twisted Metal for Japan? Were people that drunk at the company meetings?

And was all the text Babelfished like Blizzard games were?

Top Bottom