• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Tess3ract

Banned
So I recently discovered something that I thought I should share with GAF. If you live with your gf/wife and you happen to run out of razors try one her (new) Venus razors on your face. It is AMAZING, you can push with the force of Hulk and not cut yourself. It gives a very close shave (maybe not AS close as a traditional guys razor but close enough). Its comfortable, very quick and absolutely dummy proof. Next time you run out of razors try it.

Youre welcome.
How is that possible when women's razors are shittier than guy razors??

Friendly reminder to clean your soap scum off your razors!

I just used an old Sonicare toothbrush and some whitening toothpaste. Rinse with hot water and wallah! Good as new.

SUPREME1

Banned
For the Art of Shaving 5oz tubs, how are you supposed to get the cream onto the brush? I have been using my finger but figured that probably isn't the most sanitary thing to do.

I take a finger full and place it in a mug. I add a few drops of water into the mug and begin to work up a lather with the brush, adding more water drops as needed... until it's nice and rich.

The cream won't go bad if you touch it with your hands. Especially if it's onlt the tip of your finger, which should be clean anyway.

Anton668

To: me
------------------------------------------------------

Date Ordered: Friday 05 October, 2012

The comments for your order are

ETA 6-10 business days.

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

I gotta quit ordering stuff on a Friday night :(

Does anyone have advice as how to avoid razor burn and irritation on the neck? I am extremely prone to it. I started off using Feathers but switched to Astras SPs for a bit, as they didn't cause as much irritation, but I missed the close shave of the Feathers so I switched back to using them. I am trying to be as careful as possible and lathering well with each pass and only shaving with the grain. I have no issues on with my face, but my neck is really sensitive. Any advice?

Broseybrose

Does anyone have advice as how to avoid razor burn and irritation on the neck? I am extremely prone to it. I started off using Feathers but switched to Astras SPs for a bit, as they didn't cause as much irritation, but I missed the close shave of the Feathers so I switched back to using them. I am trying to be as careful as possible and lathering well with each pass and only shaving with the grain. I have no issues on with my face, but my neck is really sensitive. Any advice?

I have the same problem. I switched to Astra SP. Perfect blade, sharp as feather yet somehow less prone to cut/irritate.

I have yet to try preshave lotion, but i use Nivea aftershave balm for sensitive skin before lathering my face with my cream, for every pass. And when im done, of course. I find it helps to lube the skin/blade when shaving when compared to shaving soap alone.

OT- Part of my shave ritual is: when im all done and the aftershave is setting in and the razor is rinsed clean, i sit down with a towel in my lap and dry/polish each piece of my razor, then reassemble. This keeps my razor like new.

I have the same problem. I switched to Astra SP. Perfect blade, sharp as feather yet somehow less prone to cut/irritate.

I'd describe the Personna blades in the same fashion. Still haven't tried Astra SPs though.

I have yet to try preshave lotion, but i use Nivea aftershave balm for sensitive skin before lathering my face with my cream, for every pass. And when im done, of course. I find it helps to lube the skin/blade when shaving when compared to shaving soap alone.

I haven't used soap in a long ass time (I use cream instead), but when I did I added a few drops of natural body oil and it made the shave smother

OT- Part of my shave ritual is: when im all done and the aftershave is setting in and the razor is rinsed clean, i sit down with a towel in my lap and dry/polish each piece of my razor, then reassemble. This keeps my razor like new.

Nice ritual. I would't have the time for that on most days. I just rinse the parts with my fingers under cold water.

Here's a razor for $ 2.67 (incl. free int. shipping & lead poisoning):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Traditi...e-Blade-Shaving-Hair-Razor-Gift-/180947429659

0MaPB.jpg

pax217

Friendly reminder to clean your soap scum off your razors!

I just used an old Sonicare toothbrush and some whitening toothpaste. Rinse with hot water and wallah! Good as new.

I boil my toothbrushes every other month. Works like a charm and gives me peace of mind.

Wanting to try a new shave cream. I've got extremely sensitive skin, and would like a thick lather... considering Proraso's sensitive cream. Any other ideas?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I've used an electric all of my life, but I'm considering this wet shaving mumbo jumbo. The thing is, my hand isn't always the most steady and I've this fear of sharp objects being that close to my face. Am I best trying to find a better electric razor that gets a closer shave or should I delve into this wet shaving experience?

jcm

I boil my toothbrushes every other month. Works like a charm and gives me peace of mind.

Wanting to try a new shave cream. I've got extremely sensitive skin, and would like a thick lather... considering Proraso's sensitive cream. Any other ideas?

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort is awesome, and is recommended for sensitive skin. It's pricy, but a tub will last several months.

So I've used an electric all of my life, but I'm considering this wet shaving mumbo jumbo. The thing is, my hand isn't always the most steady and I've this fear of sharp objects being that close to my face. Am I best trying to find a better electric razor that gets a closer shave or should I delve into this wet shaving experience?

Look, it's like this: Do you want your shaving experience to be a mundane task like brushing your teeth or taking out the garbage, or instead something sort of set aside as "you" time?

Wet shaving takes the monotony out of shaving and turns it into an interesting yet relaxing 5-10 minutes of self care.

Lots of people have already posted "best decision ever" and the like, and it's because it takes something that's typically boring and tedious and makes it genuinely enjoyable.

Antagon

Unless you're extremely shaky, it shouldn't be much of a problem, even with a double edged razor. Normally you just loosely hold it and slightly guide it while gravity does most of the work.

With a cartridge it's even easier, though you've got a chance that you get ingrown hairs.

Giard

sounds quality to me!!!!
Pretty sure you're not serious, but I'll add my serious opinion:
They look a lot like the Weishi I once had... wouldn't recommend it at all.

pax217 said:
What have you tried and liked?

So I really suck at bowl lathering. Maybe my bowl is too big. Face lathering works great for me though.
Same here. :p

Sye d'Burns

its not that we suck, its that it takes time and we're afraid to add too much water :)

Just get your fingers wet and flick a couple of drops of water into the bowl at a time. You'll get down how much water you need for the particular soap or cream in a handful of sessions. If it's pasty, too little water. Bubbly, too much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Unless you're extremely shaky, it shouldn't be much of a problem, even with a double edged razor. Normally you just loosely hold it and slightly guide it while gravity does most of the work.

With a cartridge it's even easier, though you've got a chance that you get ingrown hairs.

Interesting...Maybe my fear of blades is slightly overrated when it comes to shaving with a razor vs electric. I may look a bit more into this wet shaving option...

jcm

Interesting...Maybe my fear of blades is slightly overrated when it comes to shaving with a razor vs electric. I may look a bit more into this wet shaving option...

Note that's he's talking about a double edge safety razor, like this:
MOhQb.jpg

Not a straight razor, which you shouldn't use if you have shaky hands.
nVd24.jpg

The Chef

Had my first shave with my $5 amazon safety razor. Wow there is definitely a learning curve there. Took my forever to shave haha but I managed not to slice my throat. Overall I am very happy. Thanks gaf.

Anton668

My razor and sampler pack just arrived!!!!

so... out of the lord plats, lord supers, astra sp, bolzano, and feathers, which would wet shave GAF suggest to get a good baseline to start with? (no, im not using the feathers lol)

Giard

Had a car accident yesterday. :(
The car is a total loss, but at least me and the g/f are safe and sound.

Anton668, I would suggest trying the Feathers last, or only when you feel confident enough in your skill.

Floex

Does anyone know of any products to cut out razor rash and stopping dry skin, especially around the moustache area? Using a single blade, make sure I'm showering to loosen the hair, currently using bluebeards after shave balm but it's hardly helping

GAF, you're my only hope

My razor and sampler pack just arrived!!!!

so... out of the lord plats, lord supers, astra sp, bolzano, and feathers, which would wet shave GAF suggest to get a good baseline to start with? (no, im not using the feathers lol)

Feathers are my favourite of the bunch. Gillette 7s work well too.

Sye d'Burns

Had a car accident yesterday. :(
The car is a total loss, but at least me and the g/f are safe and sound.

Anton668, I would suggest trying the Feathers last, or only when you feel confident enough in your skill.

Glad to hear the two of you are alright. It's a shame about your car, though. What about the other driver?

Is wetshavingGAF on hiatus? The OP is in an accident and no one voices concern. Tsk, tsk.

Giard

Does anyone know of any products to cut out razor rash and stopping dry skin, especially around the moustache area? Using a single blade, make sure I'm showering to loosen the hair, currently using bluebeards after shave balm but it's hardly helping

GAF, you're my only hope
You could try witch hazel. Perhaps using less pressure when you shave would help too.

Glad to hear the two of you are alright. It's a shame about your car, though. What about the other driver?

Is wetshavingGAF on hiatus? The OP is in an accident and no one voices concern. Tsk, tsk.

:lol
I just needed to vent a little. The other driver was dazed, but I don't think her injuries were serious, although I may be wrong. Didn't really ask, as everyone involved was taken by ambulance to the hospital. She got those injuries before I crashed into her though... there was a third vehicle involved. Might get a couple of bucks from insurance if they decide that I wasn't responsible for the accident.

Back to wet shaving... Don't know if there were any RazoRock XXX fans here, but the soap is going to be discontinued. There are like 15 left for sale, so if you want some, get it ASAP.
RazoRock XXX Shaving Cream Soap 150ml - $9.99

Good news for beginners: they've also made a wet shaving kit that includes one of the new RazoRock razors. The're getting good reviews, so IMO, for the price, this is really hard to beat. If you guys agree, I'll add it to the OP.
Luxury Complete Wet Shaving Starter Kit - $44.99

I feel like an Italian Barber sales rep sometimes :p

Slight bump, wanted to say that GAF truly rocks. I've been wet shaving for what's nearing a year, and I can say it's the best move I've ever made in regards to my face.

I've gone from an ungodly amount of ingrown hairs + horrible scarring from old razor bump to a MUCH better complexion and much better facial hair (tends to grow out straighter, no longer curls at the very end). Wet shaving along with taking care of face through cleaning and massages and other things has pretty much erased all of my old scars, cleared the complexion where my hair grows so that it matches the rest of my skin and just makes everything so much better. Awesome thread is awesome!

That is all.

lopaz

Banned
I started using a shavette recently.

Epic for price - £10 for the handle, and £3 for 100 blades.

However, the shave seems to be a little too close, as in I normally end up peeling my face like an onion :(

Xcellere

The Proraso Sensitive Soap and Aftershave are both awesome with (IMO) beautiful, somewhat neutral scents. Got them both from amazon w/ Prime.

The Chef

I KEEP cutting right under my chin. Its driving me crazy. I usually shave from lower down on my neck up to the bottom of my chain and I cut myself. So then I tried going over my chin and down my neck, cut myself.

Driving me nuts.

ShaneB

I KEEP cutting right under my chin. Its driving me crazy. I usually shave from lower down on my neck up to the bottom of my chain and I cut myself. So then I tried going over my chin and down my neck, cut myself.

Driving me nuts.

I still get annoyed sometimes working my chin area. :( Doesn't help that my skin isn't perfect, so I'm working on a terrible canvas anyway :*(

Driving me nuts.

I have to keep around a crap disposable for under my chin, my mustache area and the really soft areas on my upper cheeks, because my straight razor destroys those areas. I ain't ashamed!

Anyone have any good suggestions for a straight edge? Looking for cheap but good.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42808276&postcount=819

There's a link in my post. It's not a "real" straight razor, but I think it works great and don't see the need to upgrade. It can even hold standard-sized razor blades. You might not even like using one; it can be a scary proposition.

A straight razor isn't really a cheap option. Beyond the razor, there's strops and stones, professional honing, etc. I've bought a cheap razor and it wouldn't hold an edge and the balance was terrible. Try the Shavette.

Smidget

Thinking of Christmas presents and thought this would be a good idea to tell my wife and she would like it as well!

I do sport a goatee. Does this do pretty well going around it and being more precise? I currently use a Wahl electric to do the basic trimming and thinning of the beard hair and then the expensive 800 blade for the closer portions.

Will this buying/asking for an Edwin Jagger DE89BL + Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush + Proraso Shave Soap, Sensitive, 150ml/5.2 oz (147 g) Jar + 16 FEATHER DERBY 7 O'clock ASTRA NACET BIC BLUEBIRD Blade Sampler to get an idea of what type of razor to use.

I'll just give face lathering a shot or is it easier to bowl lather since I'm avoiding large areas of my face and then apply?

Thanks for the newbie help :)

Giard

Thinking of Christmas presents and thought this would be a good idea to tell my wife and she would like it as well!

I do sport a goatee. Does this do pretty well going around it and being more precise? I currently use a Wahl electric to do the basic trimming and thinning of the beard hair and then the expensive 800 blade for the closer portions.

Will this buying/asking for an Edwin Jagger DE89BL + Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush + Proraso Shave Soap, Sensitive, 150ml/5.2 oz (147 g) Jar + 16 FEATHER DERBY 7 O'clock ASTRA NACET BIC BLUEBIRD Blade Sampler to get an idea of what type of razor to use.

I'll just give face lathering a shot or is it easier to bowl lather since I'm avoiding large areas of my face and then apply?

Thanks for the newbie help :)
Hello!

I have a goatee ATM and I haven't had any problems going around it with my safety razor. Those are all great choices for a beginner, and buying a blade sampler pack like the one you've suggested is a good idea. If you want another suggestion, check out this Luxury Complete Wet Shaving Starter Kit from Italian Barber (everyone should know by now that I <3 Italian Barber and RazoRock). For the price, you get lots of good stuff.

As for lathering, I don't really think your beard type matters. It's up to personal preference - try bowl and face lathering and choose your favorite.

Anybody here doing Movember?

Smidget

Hello!

I have a goatee ATM and I haven't had any problems going around it with my safety razor. Those are all great choices for a beginner, and buying a blade sampler pack like the one you've suggested is a good idea. If you want another suggestion, check out this Luxury Complete Wet Shaving Starter Kit from Italian Barber (everyone should know by now that I <3 Italian Barber and RazoRock). For the price, you get lots of good stuff.

As for lathering, I don't really think your beard type matters. It's up to personal preference - try bowl and face lathering and choose your favorite.

Anybody here doing Movember?

Thanks I had some Amazon credit so I figured I'd go with my selection but thanks for the recommendation! It's on it's way, so hopefully I can try next week :)

stn

I know its not entirely related but I view this as the hygiene thread. Do you guys have any recommendations for some kind of spray to keep your ass from sweating? Thanks.

goober

Can anyone recommend a good shaving soap/shaving cream that smells good?
I'm currently using Grooming Lounge Beard Destroyer Shaving Cream and I like the smell.

Checking the ingredients, the scent seems to be Lavender and Rosemary.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I've gotten folliculitis (staph) for the 3rd damn time in a year. Is this a novel problem due to super bacteria, or am I shaving wrong with a fusion blade? Do I need to use aftershave to disinfect?

Maybe this is something I need to bring up with a doctor, because once staph gets in there it takes meticulous hygiene over 4 days to clear it.

Giard

I know its not entirely related but I view this as the hygiene thread. Do you guys have any recommendations for some kind of spray to keep your ass from sweating? Thanks.

Possibly the most amazing bump ever.
Can't you just use talc or baby powder? I know there are some sprays that ladies use for their privates with alum in it, maybe that could work.

I'm currently using Grooming Lounge Beard Destroyer Shaving Cream and I like the smell.

If you like it, why not keep using it? :p
I'm not aware of many lavender soaps (not a fan of the smell), you might wanna checkout RazoRock's offerings: King Louis and Chianti Lavender. Mama Bear's Soaps has lots of unique smells too and are considered good soaps... perhaps there's something with Rosemary there.

I've gotten folliculitis (staph) for the 3rd damn time in a year. Is this a novel problem due to super bacteria, or am I shaving wrong with a fusion blade? Do I need to use aftershave to disinfect?

Maybe this is something I need to bring up with a doctor, because once staph gets in there it takes meticulous hygiene over 4 days to clear it.
Fusion blades might cut your facial hair too short, which causes folliculitis. You might wanna try a safety razor, or at the very least a razor with less blades. You should also try using TendSkin, here's a link on how to make your own easily.

jcm

I love castle and Forbes lavender. It's scented with lavender essential oil only. And the Nancy Boy Signature is scented with lavender, rosemary, and peppermint eo. It's really nice also. I love lavender, but a lot of the lavender creams use artificial fragrance, and intends to smell really fakey. I recommend you stick with creams that use eo.

Have you been to the grooming lounge in DC? I've considered it, but sixty bucks seems like too much for a shave, even if its just a one time extravagance.

goober

If you like it, why not keep using it? :p
I'm not aware of many lavender soaps (not a fan of the smell), you might wanna checkout RazoRock's offerings: King Louis and Chianti Lavender. Mama Bear's Soaps has lots of unique smells too and are considered good soaps... perhaps there's something with Rosemary there.

Good question. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but whenever I lather it with a brush, it doesn't thicken. I recently tried a shave soap (like a cheapo one from CVS) and it produced a thicker lather, it just didn't feel like a smooth shave though.

I also want to try new things out there and I appreciate the recommendations!

I love castle and Forbes lavender. It's scented with lavender essential oil only. And the Nancy Boy Signature is scented with lavender, rosemary, and peppermint eo. It's really nice also. I love lavender, but a lot of the lavender creams use artificial fragrance, and intends to smell really fakey. I recommend you stick with creams that use eo.

Have you been to the grooming lounge in DC? I've considered it, but sixty bucks seems like too much for a shave, even if its just a one time extravagance.

Thanks for those, I'll check them out.
I've personally never been there. The kit I got was a starter gift to get into DE shaving.

stn

Possibly the most amazing bump ever.
Can't you just use talc or baby powder? I know there are some sprays that ladies use for their privates with alum in it, maybe that could work.
LOL, glad to help. I've been using baby powder but it hasn't helped as much as it could. I'll see what else I can try. I suffer from this problem sometimes because I'm forced to sit for extensively long periods, and it REALLY annoys me. Its had some slightly negative effects on my skin, let's just say.

Top Bottom