• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Anton668

just saying you can get a hella better brush the other way. if I had $70 to start again, i'd get a decent badger brush

thats my next step is getting a quality badger brush.

plus just starting out, i was more interested the razor/blades/soap nailed down before worrying about all the extra bells and whistles.

Taborcarn

There are boar brushes out there that are really good and still cheap, definitely better than the low-end badger that are in the same price range.

I picked up the Italian Barber LE brush and I love it so far. Semogue makes a great product.

Can anyone recommend a good shaving soap/shaving cream that smells good?
I'm currently using Grooming Lounge Beard Destroyer Shaving Cream and I like the smell.

Checking the ingredients, the scent seems to be Lavender and Rosemary.

My current favorite soap is DR Harris Arlington. The scent isn't incredibly strong, but it is pretty enjoyable. Citrus and fern is a good description.

Giard

There are boar brushes out there that are really good and still cheap, definitely better than the low-end badger that are in the same price range.
I agree, I'm using a Semogue 620 and it's really good, especially with my hard soap (Tabac).

DJ_Lae

I forget what brand but I'm using a boar brush as well and it's been great. I also exclusively use hard soaps, though.

What's been weird is how my blade of preference has changed after moving - I guess it's due to the hardness of the water. Derbys and Feathers served me well with soft water, but right now I'm finding Bluebirds to leave a surprisingly comfortable shave.

Taborcarn

Hmm that's odd... I guess with the soaps working differently in hard water they may not have the same level of slickness, which could affect how well the blades work in turn.

Lately my favorite blade has been the Polsilver Super Iridium, with Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge (yellow package) and the Gillette Silver Blues close behind.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realize there was an OT for this. I've been wet shaving for the past 2+ years since my shaving machine gave me significant irritation on my throat. I love wet shaving, but it's annoying sometimes because the hair on my throat/right under my chin grows at such a weird angle that it's hard to shave against the grain. For example the hair that's halfway between my adam's apple and chin grows horizontally to the right, but I cannot for the life of me lay the razor flat because it ends up hitting either my jaw or my adam's apple. So I have to shave diagonally instead, which means I can never get it super smooth. It's frustrating.

ShaneB

Today I shaved in the morning for the first time in a long while. I'm now reminded why I don't do it often. My face feels like it's been on fire all day. :(

ShaneB

That's weird... did you use any aftershave?

I usually shave when I get home from work in the evenings, or at night just before bed. Shaving in the morning I've never really liked doing because I'm often rushed or as today has shown, my skin just doesn't handle it well.

This is my current aftershave.

685b56e99c6a1396a3f055aae367bd3d_ra,w403,h403_pa,w403,h403.jpeg

Taborcarn

Do you guys think the Art of Shaving kits are overpriced and hype or are they actually good shaving products?

My opinion is... both. They're good, but there are a lot of very comparable options that are less expensive. Taylor of Old Bond St is a good example for the cream, and there are plenty of good aftershave choices.

10 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge 10 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

Delivery Estimate: Monday December 24, 2012 by 8:00pm

Parker 96R - Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 SHARK blades Parker 96R - Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 SHARK blades

Just ordered these. I hope the Parker is good.

ChanHuk

Banned
Do you guys think the Art of Shaving kits are overpriced and hype or are they actually good shaving products?

They're a mall boutique brand, they're overpriced. But it doesn't mean that they don't have quality items. I rather piece together a kit at West Coast Shaving or somewhere else for cheaper and just as luxurious.

I do not know.... lol

I guess I shall look into that.

If it's the same as this, then yeah it has menthol. I mean you should feel it once you apply it to your face.

Alternatively, I've used this stuff which is alcohol-free and it's pretty good (although it leaves your face a little oily afterwards).

I got a sample of the pre-shave oil and liked it a lot. But I wouldn't pay what they are asking for it.

I've tried a lot of products and the super sharp Feather blades and Tabac shaving soap are the best options for me. I think the smell of the Tabac stick is pretty boring compared to many other soaps and cremes (it just smells like, well... soap), but it makes the shaving so much better than any other I've tried.

ShaneB

If it's the same as this, then yeah it has menthol. I mean you should feel it once you apply it to your face.

Alternatively, I've used this stuff which is alcohol-free and it's pretty good (although it leaves your face a little oily afterwards).

Well dang. I used the Sensitive stuff for the longest time, and only switched because it was out of stock when I needed to resupply.

clav

Does anyone have suggestions for a mirror in the shower?

Been blind shaving in the shower, and a mirror would help.

Taborcarn

I do not know.... lol

I guess I shall look into that. edit: which means recommendations are welcome.

Lately for a soothing balm I like The Body Shop's razor relief. The Proraso Green Tea and Oat (white jar) is good too.
for-men-maca-root-razor-relief_l.jpg

Also, is your pre-shave prep different between morning and night? Lately I've been doing cold-water shaves before the shower and that's helped with irritation. I use Clearly Natural glycerin soap found at The Dollar Tree as a pre-shave.
bmt-045b_med2a.jpg

ShaneB

Lately for a soothing balm I like The Body Shop's razor relief. The Proraso Green Tea and Oat (white jar) is good too.
for-men-maca-root-razor-relief_l.jpg

Also, is your pre-shave prep different between morning and night? Lately I've been doing cold-water shaves before the shower and that's helped with irritation. I use Clearly Natural glycerin soap found at The Dollar Tree as a pre-shave.
bmt-045b_med2a.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be on the lookout. I guess with how sensitive and fickle my skin is, I really am terrified of trying out different things. I really need to see a dermatologist someday to figure what the heck is going on.

No real differences between morning or night routines, I'll shower and then shave, not much to it besides that. lol

T-Matt

I picked up a Gillette slim recently in good condition. I'm really loving it and enjoying the adjust ability. I need a new boar brush, I've cracked the handle on my omega.

Also I got a shave at the art of shaving in Vegas earlier this week and it was a wonderful experience and makes me want to start using some pre-shave oil.

Is a stand for the brush necessary (i.e. is it necessary for the brush to be upside down when not in use)? Would it reduce the brush's quality by a noticeable amount? I ask because that is the price difference between making this worth trying and not.

ShaneB

Is a stand for the brush necessary (i.e. is it necessary for the brush to be upside down when not in use)? Would it reduce the brush's quality by a noticeable amount? I ask because that is the price difference between making this worth trying and not.

I dont have a stand. It never really seemed necessary to me.

Giard

It's not necessary, but it will help your brush dry faster and thus last longer... but honestly, if you pick a well-made brush, you'll be able to use it for a couple of years in both cases.

W1SSY

I got a safety razor starter set for Christmas and used it this morning. Had no problem maintianing a good angle for going with the grain but I really struggled shaving against the grain. I imagine that is something that will develop with practice. This feels by far the closest shave that I have ever got. Now I just need to try out blades and other products to find some things that I like.

Giard

I got a safety razor starter set for Christmas and used it this morning. Had no problem maintianing a good angle for going with the grain but I really struggled shaving against the grain. I imagine that is something that will develop with practice. This feels by far the closest shave that I have ever got. Now I just need to try out blades and other products to find some things that I like.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I have a question of my own for everyone... I need a beard trimmer and I don't know which one I should buy. I thought about buying a Philips Bodygroom, but I'm not sure it'll work well with a beard. Which ones do you prefer?

Taborcarn

Glad you enjoyed it.

I have a question of my own for everyone... I need a beard trimmer and I don't know which one I should buy. I thought about buying a Philips Bodygroom, but I'm not sure it'll work well with a beard. Which ones do you prefer?

I've never had much luck with trimmers... I'm probably just not using them right. Right now I have a Norelco that was about $20 for the goatee. I've heard that the Wahl Groomsman is a good balance of quality vs cost but I haven't used it.

Congratulations! What kind of razor did you get? And don't feel obligated to go against the grain right away. I only went with the grain and across the grain my first couple weeks while I worked on technique.

stn

Have you guys noticed you sweat and smell less when you shave in areas other than the face?

Broseybrose

Have you guys noticed you sweat and smell less when you shave in areas other than the face?
That's one of the reasons that men shave their underarms, besides looks.
Totally. Once i notice that my deodorant is going on my underarm hair instead of my underarm skin, its time for a shave.

I do the same down there, shave when it gets messy long, which is like twice a year. It only takes like a week after the shave for there to be enough stubble for it not to look strange in contrast to my hairy legs and such.

Taborcarn

Did anyone else get some good wet shaving items for Christmas? I'm typically "the hard one to shop for" so once word got out that I have a new interest all my relatives jumped on it.

I got:
A puck of Van Der Hagen deluxe soap
A large tube of C.O. Bigelow cream
A tube of Woody's Shave Lather
A tube of Woody's After Shave Balm
A bottle of Bump Patrol aftershave
A bottle of Art of Shaving Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
A bottle of Art of Shaving Sandalwood After Shave Balm
A tub of Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream
and a monogrammed shaving towel.

All in all, not a bad haul.

ChanHuk

Banned

Get a stand if you want it to be a decorative furniture. Otherwise there's no benefit to it.

Thinking about getting a new (or used) razor. I have an EJ D89 and a Gillette Slim, thinking about getting a Fatboy or maybe the Muhle R41.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I need new shaving soap and after shave. I've been using Art of Shaving Sandalwood for years. It's great but I bet there's stuff just as good without being as expensive. Any recommendations? I like a stronger sandalwood scent without smelling like cologne or anything pungent.

adg1034

I need new shaving soap and after shave. I've been using Art of Shaving Sandalwood for years. It's great but I bet there's stuff just as good without being as expensive. Any recommendations? I like a stronger sandalwood scent without smelling like cologne or anything pungent.

Truefitt & Hill sells a sample kit of their shave creams and aftershaves. It's $11 for fifteen 1- or 2-use samples, including sandalwood shaving cream and aftershave. Not sure it's exactly what you're going for, but I figure it's worth a try.

W1SSY

Congratulations! What kind of razor did you get? And don't feel obligated to go against the grain right away. I only went with the grain and across the grain my first couple weeks while I worked on technique.

I got one of the RazoRock from Italian Barber. I have started to improve on technique and really love shaving with it. I ordered some blade samplers and don't imagine I will need any shave cream for awhile because I have three containers. When it does run out or I get tired of what I have I will probably try and get a sampler to find some that I like.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Put a kit together during my life in banishment. First shave was glorious, and suffered not a single injury.

jbg2EoG9lH7RIw.jpg

I lied, I suffered an injury when I picked up the blade by the wrong side. Got a nice even slit in my finger

Top Bottom