• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What additional characters and modes do you want to see in Ultimate Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch?

I want to see a total of...

100 Characters - 80 at launch then four DLC packs with 5 characters each
100 Stages
100 Subspace Emissary and Smash Run levels (I want a rich, fun, engrossing single player mode) - Can be launched as DLC

I want a locked resolution of 1080p docked (720p undocked) along with a meaty single player component.

—————-

But most importantly, I want the game to include a few more Kawaii characters. I don’t want time wasted putting in unknown characters from niche franchises that few people care about. We have enough of those already.

The Kawaii characters (Kirby, Jiggly, King Dedede, Kong, Pikachu) are by far my wife’s favorite. It’s the only reason she plays the game. The same is true for most of the casual gamer friends I know. So I want more characters that they would recognize and find appealing so that they are more inclined to play the game.

Some examples are...

Eveee (Its the rising star in the upcoming Pokemon Lets Go)

Rabbid (They already starred in one of Switch’s best games, they deserve a slot here)

Minion Bob (Minions are beloved, and this would further raise the game’s appeal among younger kids)

A Thor outfit for Pikachu. He shouts Pika as he wails on people with his Hammer or zaps them with lightning
ac29adf092f3b595396c6467f58a0e94.jpg

b10d37ba635ae595433e232e1b8bafcd.jpg

Dumbo (Disney will approve since it will promote their upcoming movie)

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse (Icons that everyone grew up with)

Hello Kitty (The company loves getting its brand out there as much as possible, so it’s doable and it would be massive marketing win, you get Hello Kitty into smash and you’re going to get Katy Perry, Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Raven, Rihanna, Buffy, Kelly Kapowski, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus and millions of other HK fans tweeting out pictures of themselves playing with hello kitty)

Baby Groot (A good way for Disney to promote Guardians 3)

Beast Boy (A good way for DC to promote Teen Titans Go)

Goku (since so many people want him)

Spongebob Squarepants (Another examples of a popular character with tons of cross generational appeal that could help convert younger gamers into Smash fans)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (The company wants to sell more toys and getting their brand out there is step one)

Baloo (The jungle book movie is coming out next year)

What other cute/Kawaii additions can you think of to get the roster to a nice round 100 characters?

It’s fine if the game launches with only 85 characters if they release 15 additional Kawaii characters like ones above as Paid DLC to get it to a nice round 100 characters post launch. This would compensate them if they need to throw a $1 or so to license a particular super famous character for the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why should Nintendo promote KHIII when the game is not releasing on Switch!!?

Last edited:
Didn’t realize KH3 won’t be coming to Switch. That seems like a very stupid decision by Disney. Switch is the perfect target audience for the game and is more than capable of running it as evidenced by Mario Oddyssey.

I’ll change Donald to Mickey then.

But the rest of the post I stand by.

This is a joke thread right?

What’s funny about it?

Smash already has plenty to satiate hardcore Nintendo fans.

Nintendo superfans may want yet more niche characters from niche games that few people know about, but the blue ocean that the Switch appeals to want popular, well known, cute characters that are recognizable and fun to use.

Here’s a small list of rabid Hello Kitty fans: Katy Perry, Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Raven, Rihanna, Buffy, Kelly Kapowski, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus.

None of them are paid a penny by the Hello Kitty company, but they love the icon so much that they frequently wear, talk about or tweet about it.

The same applies to characters like Minions, Rabbids and every other character I mentioned above.

Hundreds of millions of women and men are fans of these characters, why wouldn’t Nintendo want to make a game that they will want to pick up and try as well?

Last edited:

Razzorn34

Basically, anything is possible now if Nintendo wants to entertain it. I doubt anyone in their right mind would pass on seeing their IP in Smash if Nintendo approached them.

I'll join team Goku.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OP - you wrote reasons why these companies would want their characters in Smash, but why would Nintendo want any of these characters?

I think the only one you've mentioned that doesn't sound totally out of left-field is Eevee - maybe Rabbids.

OP - you wrote reasons why these companies would want their characters in Smash, but why would Nintendo want any of these characters?.

Because the vast blue ocean that the Switch appeals to want popular, well known, cute characters that are recognizable and fun to use.

It will make them more likely to want a Switch and more likely to want to play this game.

Here’s a small list of rabid Hello Kitty fans: Katy Perry, Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Raven, Rihanna, Buffy, Kelly Kapowski, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus.

None of them are paid a penny by the Hello Kitty company, but they love the icon so much that they frequently wear, talk about or tweet about it.

The same applies to characters like Minions, Rabbids and every other character I mentioned above.

Hundreds of millions of women and men are fans of these characters, why wouldn’t Nintendo want to make a game that they will want to pick up and try as well?

Longtime Nintendo fans already got more niche characters than they even thought possible.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Longtime Nintendo fans already got more niche characters than they even thought possible.

But how many of those "longtime Nintendo fans" would skip on this Smash Bros entry if Dumbo was a playable character? Or Hello Kitty? Would enough loyal Mariah Carey fans make up the difference?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Entire Nintendo franchises don't have a character on smash but they are totally gonna add Hello Kitty cause Beyonce likes it.

But how many of those "longtime Nintendo fans" would skip on this Smash Bros entry if Dumbo was a playable character? Or Hello Kitty? Would enough loyal Mariah Carey fans make up the difference?

I don’t think there is a single person that is currently interested in the game and it’s roster of 86 characters including dozens of niche characters that they campaigned to get included, who will skip the game because of some DLC characters that they dislike.

Entire Nintendo franchises don't have a character on smash but they are totally gonna add Hello Kitty cause Beyonce likes it.

Yes.

Hello Kitty is literally 10,000 times more popular than those franchises.

You guys act like the hundreds of millions of Hello Kitty fans are not people worthy of getting a DLC character.

Yet those are same people that made the Wii a smash hit. Those people are the reason why Nintendo is didn’t go bankrupt a decade ago. They are the reason why Nintendo is still around to make games.

So yes, I think it makes sense to include some characters that they care about.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't even heard of hello kitty in 10 years until this thread lol

Fbh

They need to add Ed Sheeran
Here's a list of celebrities that either like him or are friends with him according to the first link google could provide: Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift, The Queen of England, Elton John, The Muppets and millions of other fans that buy his albums and go to his concerts.

Last edited:
100 characters when Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers. Come on.

There’s already 86. 14 newcomers is not many.

My guess is 4 newcomers in the package and 10 newcomers launched in 2019 as DLC additions.

I’m 90% sure that’s what will end up happening. I just want the DLC newcomers to be popular widely known characters that would draw people into the game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I said I haven't heard of it in 10 years before you brought it up

Then I mentioned the article was 3 years old

Miku confirmed for smash cause Gaga loves her!

JangoRain

To be honest, I can only see there being a very limited amount of characters in addition to the 65 we already have. Maybe 5, before the inevitable dlc of course

King K Rool
ARMS rep
Captain Toad
Shovel Knight
Ashley from Wario Ware

NewYork214

Have they ever done characters that aren't originally from video games. I don't think they want the series to just be a straight up free for all. It's how I always viewed the series anyway.

There's 68.
Smash 4 had 21 new additions. So did Melee.

Lets say this one only gets 16 more additions. That’s 84 characters at launch.

16 post launch DLC characters at $3 a pop (or $10 each for 4 character bundles) would get it to 100 characters for $100

Last edited:

kischine

Wow... I really mean no offense, but you mentioned you had a wife?
What the fuck am I doing with my life???

This is a fun thread.

Elma
Shantae as a guest since Nicalis didn't get her for Blade Strangers for whatever reason.

For "Echo Fighters"
Jeanne
Octolings
Hilda

Modes.
Classic back to normal.
Either Adventure Mode from Melee or a expanded Smash Run from 3DS since I doubt they'll do the Subspace version of a platformer mode again.

93xfan

Banned
Didn’t realize KH3 won’t be coming to Switch. That seems like a very stupid decision by Disney. Switch is the perfect target audience for the game and is more than capable of running it as evidenced by Mario Oddyssey.

I’ll change Donald to Mickey then.

But the rest of the post I stand by.

What’s funny about it?

Smash already has plenty to satiate hardcore Nintendo fans.

Nintendo superfans may want yet more niche characters from niche games that few people know about, but the blue ocean that the Switch appeals to want popular, well known, cute characters that are recognizable and fun to use.

Why not include Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and the rest for good measure? And don’t forget the Ghostbusters and Mr. Clean.

Last edited:
You kid, but any of the ghostbusters would actually be an excellent addition to the roster.

Don’t tell me you wouldn’t love to trap Kirby using a proton pack.

Elma
Shantae as a guest since Nicalis didn't get her for Blade Strangers for whatever reason.

For "Echo Fighters"
Jeanne
Octolings
Hilda

Thank you.

But who the hell are these people? I’ve honestly never heard of them.

Last edited:
This thread is disgusting.

Man, some of you guys are every bit as out of touch as that reporter that demanded that Smash default to Stock instead of Time because no one plays Time.

Everyone outside of the hardcore gaming bubble plays Timed Battles.

It’s no fun for 6 of the players in an 8 way smash to sit around for 20 mins while the two best smash players in the room wail away at each other.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Paris Hilton. She likes Nintendo and has almost 9 million followers on instagram. That could be almost 9 million more sales for Nintendo.
paris_hilton_nintendo_ds.jpg

hivsteak

52e.png

I don’t play smash and I involuntarily watched that bullshit 30 minute changelog they showed during E3. They’re bringing back every character ever. I thought that’d make every smash fan happy? I shouldn’t have believed it haha.

I think they’d want gameplay variety over adding more character for the sake of fan service these days. Not sure any of those “cute” characters would bring anything new to the table.

With that said maybe a character from TF2 or Overwatch would fit best?

Gander

Banned
At this time I think makes sense for both companies to a Capcom vs. Nintendo in the vein of Powerstone. The Marvel vs. Capcom franchise has run it's course.

Take those Capcom characters and pit them against Nintendo characters, tighten up the game play so it's more like MvC than Smash Bros. and then you have something.

At this time I think makes sense for both companies to a Capcom vs. Nintendo in the vein of Powerstone. The Marvel vs. Capcom franchise has run it's course.

Take those Capcom characters and pit them against Nintendo characters, tighten up the game play so it's more like MvC than Smash Bros. and then you have something.

Hell no. Leave smash bros’s gameplay alone. Don’t turn it into MvC.

Marvel characters are more popular than ever. The problem with MvC was not Marvel. It was gameplay.

My buds and I would happily play a Marvel Smash Bros however, as long as it leaves 8 Player Smash intact.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Seeing as this Smash is intended to be more of a "best of" for the series, I don't think they're likely to add much of anything new. Everyone's here, everyone's tweaked/balanced. Honestly, I expect more new stages than characters. And what would you even do with 100 characters? Who would have time to learn all of their movesets and become even semi-competent at the game? How would you balance such a huge roster?

Personally, I'm hoping this one takes over as the "pro" smash, and Nintendo starts putting out Smash spinoffs with smaller rosters more frequently for the "party" smashers. Pokemon Smash. Nintendo vs _________ Smash, Newcomers-Only Smash, etc. etc.

93xfan

Banned
OP, you’re calling us out of touch, but adding in these characters would hurt the game.

I don’t want all my online matches against hello kitty. I don’t want all the development time to go into balancing these characters that the developers may not even be passionate about.

I’m sorry, but I’d hate this game if it became what you’re suggesting.

mantidor

Sanrio would never allow Hello Kitty to be physically violent, at most you would get an assist trophy to do something along the lines of the nintendogs assist.

All I want is Simon Belmont really, the game has reached it's peak otherwise.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
3-man battle system similar to King of Fighters

Top Bottom