• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What additional characters and modes do you want to see in Ultimate Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch?

Codes 208

-motherfuckin' big bird (its a good way for sesame street to reach new kids)

-iago from alladin (disney characters make sense)

-spoderman (good way for marvel to marvel)

-deadpool

-ghost nappa (and now youre thinking of what zarbon did to you, while you were unconscious. Have fun with that!)

-missingo (because MOAR pokemon!)

-every mlp (let the deviantart cesspool shitfest commence)

-shrek (because ogres have layers)

-gordan freeman (hl3 confirmed)

-santa (ho ho ho)

-a random hole in the wall (so the men can see it all!)

-ren and stimpy (because nick should advertise their classic ahows)

-the alphabet (because nintendo only cares for the children)

-elmo

-bobs burgers (not the characters, just the show. Literally the show. The show is a playable character)

-eric cartman

-tom brady (yadda yadda nfl and ea)

-a gamestop building

-a bag of doritos (every flavor. ALL the flavors

-homer simpson and peter griffin

-naruto (no! I dont believe it!)

-a random housecat (youve heard of nintendogs, get ready this random lazy cat. Comes in various colors! Like cat and also cat!)

-sonic the scientifcally accurate hedgehog (runs 6 feet per second but is nearly blind)

And of course...

-a piece of toast!

Last edited:

Codes 208

this one?

Im not familiar with that actually.
My joke toast (and the random hole in the wall) were more of a reference to this
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Griss

My thoughts prior to reveal:
"I just hope the roster isn't ridiculously bloated, that most characters are reworked, there's very little reused content, but my main Zelda keeps her awesome design."

My thoughts after the reveal:
"Fuck."

So I don't particularly care about newcomers any more as this simply isn't the kind of sequel I'm interested in, but a proper modes and high-quality gameplay would probably still get me to buy in.

As for modes:
Scrap every single one of Smash 4's shit modes, and put in a proper classic mode. Then a melee-style adventure mode or some other single-player equivalent. I didn't like Smash Run at all as a replacement. Bring back events, they're always great. Also, all-star mode will need to be replaced as it was already too long and now would be ridiculous.

Also, I'd love a toggle to just have the 64 characters in any mode, or just Melee characters, or just Brawl etc. Given that all characters are present and each generation has a lot of fans, I think many people would appreciate this. It would be awesome to click into 'Melee mode' and only see those 25 characters in either versus or in the single player modes.

But yeah, what kind of modes it has will now completely determine my interest in the game.

Touchdown_

Banned
A tournament mode like they had in one of the earlier games, would be cool if they put that back in...unless it's already in and I just don't know it.

-motherfuckin' big bird (its a good way for sesame street to reach new kids)

-iago from alladin (disney characters make sense)

-spoderman (good way for marvel to marvel)

-deadpool

-ghost nappa (and now youre thinking of what zarbon did to you, while you were unconscious. Have fun with that!)

-missingo (because MOAR pokemon!)

-every mlp (let the deviantart cesspool shitfest commence)

-shrek (because ogres have layers)

-gordan freeman (hl3 confirmed)

-santa (ho ho ho)

-a random hole in the wall (so the men can see it all!)

-ren and stimpy (because nick should advertise their classic ahows)

-the alphabet (because nintendo only cares for the children)

-elmo

-bobs burgers (not the characters, just the show. Literally the show. The show is a playable character)

-eric cartman

-tom brady (yadda yadda nfl and ea)

-a gamestop building

-a bag of doritos (every flavor. ALL the flavors

-homer simpson and peter griffin

-naruto (no! I dont believe it!)

-a random housecat (youve heard of nintendogs, get ready this random lazy cat. Comes in various colors! Like cat and also cat!)

-sonic the scientifcally accurate hedgehog (runs 6 feet per second but is nearly blind)

And of course...

-a piece of toast!
Amazing response. I would ducking love to play as any of these characters.

RK128

- Echo Fighter's for Sonic (Shadow and Tails with different Up B moves; Shadow his chaos control and Tails his helicopter hover) and Pac-Man (Ms Pac-Man); very little work and for the Sonic side of things, Smash really could do more for a legacy 'guest' character.
- Rayman (to represent Ubisoft but a Rabbid would be fitting considering 'Mario + Rabbids')
- Simon Belmont (I think it's likely, considering Konami isn't being dun stupid with Nintendo of all people... Snake coming back and the Bomberman assist trophy might be enough on Konami's end though)
- Stages from Mario + Rabbids, DKC Tropical Freeze, FE Fate and Echos, Pokemon Sun & Moon (or 'Let's Go Evee and Pikachu') and Sonic Maina (Studiopolis Zone stage please)
- Some kind of story mode (even if you take classic mode and have dialog to kick off the match, that would be enough for me honestly).
- Snake's Codec conversations to return and new ones being recorded

Last edited:

tkscz

Well, Daisy made it in, but you know what? Marina from Mischief Makers because why the fuck not at this point.

Though I would love to see the return of a bigger and better emissary

- Echo Fighter's for Sonic (Shadow and Tails with different Up B moves; Shadow his chaos control and Tails his helicopter hover) and Pac-Man (Ms Pac-Man); very little work and for the Sonic side of things, Smash really could do more for a legacy 'guest' character.
- Rayman (to represent Ubisoft but a Rabbid would be fitting considering 'Mario + Rabbids')
- Simon Belmont (I think it's likely, considering Konami isn't being dun stupid with Nintendo of all people... Snake coming back and the Bomberman assist trophy might be enough on Konami's end though)
- Stages from Mario + Rabbids, DKC Tropical Freeze, FE Fate and Echos, Pokemon Sun & Moon (or 'Let's Go Evee and Pikachu') and Sonic Maina (Studiopolis Zone stage please)
- Some kind of story mode (even if you take classic mode and have dialog to kick off the match, that would be enough for me honestly).
- Snake's Codec conversations to return and new ones being recorded

These are all excellent suggestions.

Echo characters are a fantastic and quick way to add in several additional characters without having to rebalance the game for the character. Many of suggestions in the OP could be echo characters.

Hello Kitty could be a Game and Watch echo so that it doesn’t need to actually hit anyone or be violent at all.

I think Pikachu Thor as an echo character would be incredible.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
For characters, I want Bomberman and Agumon.

They could've given Agumon his digievolutions like Pokemon Trainer. Switch between Greymon and WarGreymon with down-special. That would be amazing. And for WarGreymon, I want his special tornado/drill move from Digimon Rumble Arena. They could put some limitation like if you take too much damage you de-evolve to balance it.

Bomberman is an assist trophy so he looks out this game. But of course, he's one step closer to being playable. Maybe in the next Smash.

For Game Modes, I want the Versus/Team Play mode from King of Fighters. We can choose 3 characters and then secretly select the order. Then when one character loses all it's stock/life, the next character spawns. It would make the game more balanced, people won't be able to play only one character and win all the tournaments.

Oh and,
Goku deserves to be in Smash

Last edited:

jadedm17

No to about everything you said OP. Rabbids don't belong anywhere but a dumpster, and I loved Mario Rabbids; I just hate the actual Rabbids, they're knockoff minions but less interesting.

I'll buy Smash Switch even if was the exact WiiU version but now $100 so my opinion doesn't really count, just as I'll say anyone whining about Pokemon Switch but will be there day one don't get to state their opinion.

Really though I think Crash and Spyro are the last ones left to deserve to be in Smash : Relevant gaming icons with current marketable titles. Spongebob or Mickey wouldn't help sell their merchandise and only maybe sell Nintendos.

Dr.brain64

I don't understand why was having all the characters from previous entries something"impossible". Why did Sakurai say that? Nintendo's cheapness? Horrible hardware limits??

(4:45)

Too many characters? Why the limit? On top of that he has the audacity of saying that there won't be many new new characters... I hope it's just bad translation.

I don't understand why was having all the characters from previous entries something"impossible". Why did Sakurai say that? Nintendo's cheapness? Horrible hardware limits??

Too many characters? Why the limit? On top of that he has the audacity of saying that there won't be many new new characters... I hope it's just bad translation.

I think it has to do with balancing the characters, and Kirby's copy abilities

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

I find this post very offensive.

Has anyone every done something like this? 70+ characters in a fighting game with the depth of Smash? If it's never been done before, then it might be considered not possible.

Sakurai is the director of Smash so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. When Brawl was created balancing the game felt overwhelming for Sakurai. He said a well-balanced game might only have 20 characters. When he says impossible he might very well mean that it felt impossible for him.

There is no other game like Smash in the world, so don't act like Nintendo is giving us the short end of the stick.

93xfan

Banned
Belmont.

With different outfits to make him look like Richter, Simon, and Trevor.

We’d also get some of gaming greatest music along with it.

Forward B could be the boomerang.
B could be the axe.
Down B- Holy water
Up B- grabs a hook (think Super Castlevania 4) with his whip and lunges up into the air.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I find this post very offensive.

Has anyone every done something like this? 70+ characters in a fighting game with the depth of Smash? If it's never been done before, then it might be considered not possible.

Sakurai is the director of Smash so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. When Brawl was created balancing the game felt overwhelming for Sakurai. He said a well-balanced game might only have 20 characters. When he says impossible he might very well mean that it felt impossible for him.

There is no other game like Smash in the world, so don't act like Nintendo is giving us the short end of the stick.
Depth of Smash? Huh?

93xfan

Banned
Toon Zelda.

I noticed we haven’t seen the stage Pirate Ship or any of its music in the character videos. What if they will reveal that stage with a Toon Zelda from Wind Walker?

She could change into her Wind Walker alter ego with down & B, just like classic Zelda could change into Sheik.

I think that could make for an interesting character, imo.

I’d also love Big Boss from MGS3 as an echo.

Sakura

I want anime characters.
I think someone like Sakura from Card Captor Sakura would work well. She has the aesthetic, decently known overseas, has fans covering a large age group, and she could have a pretty unique moveset.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Isaac, Ray MK III , King K. Rool
Anyone else doesn't matter to me.

I believe Nintendo should go balls to the wall crazy and work out some kind of deal with Sony and Microsoft to include characters like Master Chief and Kratos. Now for some slightly more feasible picks.

First Party:

Waluigi
Paper Mario
Blaziken
Lanky Kong
King K. Rool
Vivian
Fawful
Skull Kid with Majora's Mask
Tingle
Toad
Mike (Startropics)
Thomas (Kung Fu)
Wart

3rd Party:
Zero
X
Banjo & Kazooie
Blanka
Mike Haggar
Simon Belmont
Doomguy
Scorpion
Sub Zero
Dhalsim
Crash
Spyro
Geno
Mallow

Speedwagon

Depth of Smash? Huh?

How tournament-goers choose to play the game does not dictate how the game is. I personally enjoy playing with items on and all stages.
Regardless, you can't hate on the stage when every other fighting game has stages that are exactly the same besides appearance.

Modes: Bring back Subspace Emissary, Classic, and Events.

Stages:
Glitz Pit (with audience)
Clock Tower
Tetris (with blocks constantly falling)
Stone Tower Temple (the inversion gimmick would be great)

Terce

There is already too many. Having reskins, alternative versions, or new characters who don't bring anything new to the game is just a waste of time and adds confusion. It's already in the realm of too much choice and is frankly less enjoyable because of it. 64 and melee were great because each character did something different, and the few that were "reskins" changed enough of the move set to keep them unique.

Shang

Man, some of you guys are every bit as out of touch as that reporter that demanded that Smash default to Stock instead of Time because no one plays Time.

Everyone outside of the hardcore gaming bubble plays Timed Battles.

It’s no fun for 6 of the players in an 8 way smash to sit around for 20 mins while the two best smash players in the room wail away at each other.

my man i'm not even gonna step into the whole hello kitty thing but no one plays timed, i assure you

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
CornyThoughtfulFalcon-max-1mb.gif

Too late now but what if instead of assist trophies Fire Emblem had their own thing? Like that one gun that shoots out heroes in Fire Emblem Heroes. That way they could add in as many Fire Emblem characters as they like and give other game series characters a chance to be playable. Oh well who am I kidding, enjoy echo Chrom and 2 more from the new game.

Fox Mulder

I believe Nintendo should go balls to the wall crazy and work out some kind of deal with Sony and Microsoft to include characters like Master Chief and Kratos. Now for some slightly more feasible picks.

Phil Spencer keeps saying how cool it would be to have Banjo & Kazooie in, but who knows what that really would take. Rare was a huge part of the n64, and I'd jizz if they got polygonal n64 looking pierce brosnan from Goldeneye.

I think there's too many characters already though. They need to cut some down, but that's clearly not the direction they're going.

Last edited:
my man i'm not even gonna step into the whole hello kitty thing but no one plays timed, i assure you

All of us casual gamers play timed. Its a hell of a lot more fun when everyone gets to play.

Where is the fun in watching all the weak players get eliminated in 2 minutes while you watch the best two players dodge each other for eternity.

We casuals care about having a fun inclusive environment, not a competitive one.

Stock is only fun in 1 vs. 1, without items. For everything else: 5 minutes, poke balls, assists and all the other things that can explode.

kunonabi

My group always does 5 stocks with everything on. Timed matches just feel too disposable to get invested in.

I mean this in the nicest way OP, but those choices don't make sense. Most of them aren't from games, let alone from Nintendo. That's like saying you want Ryuko Matoi in Smash imo.

Here's my pick:
Jack Frost (SMT)
Flynn (SMT)
Melia Antiqua (Xenoblade)
Repede (Tales of Vesperia)

Top Bottom