• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are, currently, the most RAM / VRAM hungry PC games?

nkarafo

Using Afterburner while playing games gives you lots of detailed information about every kind of recourse a game is using. So you can easily see how much RAM or VRAM a game needs.

From the games i played so far Resident Evil 7 seems to be the most VRAM hungry. I have a 6GB card and at medium texture quality (which is the same as high, just with more streaming popping) it eats up 5.1 GB @ 1080p! The rest of the settings are the defaults. If i choose hight textures it caps all 6GB of the card and it apparently needs more because i get mini-freezes/stutters.

System RAM usage is low though. I get 6GB total, minus 2GB the OS and a little bit of RAMDisk needs, that's 4GB of system RAM needed by the game. Which is surprising to me because, according to some posts that i remember, the game supposedly barely fits into a 8GB RAM equipped PC so 16GB is recommended.

What other games eat up the most system or video RAM?

Ravelle

Depends which kind of usage.

There's games like Rise of The Tomb Raider which require a lot of VRAM if you crank everything up and you have games that are horribly optimized that you need the RAM to get their shoddy work to work.

Md Ray

Forza Motorsport 7, Just Cause 3 and to some extent GTAV.
Upgraded from 8GB to 12GB just two days ago...

EDIT: Ah, yes... RE7 as well. It was VRAM heavy. Had to use med quality textures on GTX 970, system RAM usage was fine (6-7GB max IIRC), no stutters. Beat that game when I had 8GB.

nkarafo

Does Rise of the Tomb Raider need more than 6GB VRAM at max settings/1080p?

Not talking about 4k, this obviously isn't for everyone.

Does Rise of the Tomb Raider need more than 6GB VRAM at max settings/1080p?

Not talking about 4k, this obviously isn't for everyone.

yes

I've got an 8GB R9 290x and I have to play it at medium to get good frames. This is paired with a 4670k so I don't think my CPU is the issue.

Md Ray

yes

I've got an 8GB R9 290x and I have to play it at medium to get good frames. This is paired with a 4670k so I don't think my CPU is the issue.

Wow. Have you monitored your VRAM usage? I've been playing that game using GTX 970 on High-Very High, 1080p and it runs at solid 60fps, except in CPU heavy sections where I get drops to 50-45fps occasionally. It's paired with 3rd gen i5 clocked at 3.5 GHz.

Zojirushi

Wait VRAM usage in afterburner is only what the game reserves (in some case everything you have no matter how much you have) not necessarily what it needs right?

Are we talking at their max, or for minimum requirements? Cuz I, somebody who have completed Rise of Tomb Raider on around medium settings on my GTX960m 2gb vram at relatively comfortable 40-45 average FPS, finding some statements here to clash with said experience that objectively took place.

elelunicy

Mass Effect: Andromeda’s cutscenes are incredibly VRAM hungry at high resolution. I was trying to take some screenshots at 8k but the cutscenes ran at like 1fps due to the fact it completely maxed out all 12GB VRAM I have and the GPU usage plummeted.

Wow. Have you monitored your VRAM usage? I've been playing that game using GTX 970 on High-Very High, 1080p and it runs at solid 60fps, except in CPU heavy sections where I get drops to 50-45fps occasionally. It's paired with 3rd gen i5 clocked at 3.5 GHz.

Yea seems weird. Maybe the game is optimized for Nvidia much moreso than AMD?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Rise of the Tomb Raider
lmao what? its not demanding at all come on.

It does eat quite alot of Vram esp when you consider using more than 4GB Vram was unheard of before Pascal.

On Topic

Dunno if its been fixed as i stopped playing before patch 1.10 came out

But Mass Effect Andromeda had/has a memory leak or is just fucked and will easily take system RAM to 10GB+ on the ship.
And float around 7 - 9 GB just fucking around.

Which is ridiculous considering 8GB was considered the sweet spot for RAM not long ago.

Top Bottom