• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some aspects of arcade culture that younger gamers are missing out on?

ScOULaris

I consider myself very lucky to have been able to experience the arcade scene that flourished in the 80's and 90's in the United States. My love for fighting games was birthed in the neon-lit mall arcades of the early-to-mid 90's, and I while I accept the reality of their passing, I will forever cherish my memories of arcades in their heyday.

I was thinking to myself today about how children and teens today have little-to-no experience with real arcades. Sure, kids might occasionally attend some family fun center-type establishment (e.g. Dave & Busters) and play some ticket games or over-sized recreations of mobile games on giant touchscreens, but for the most part "real" arcades are not something that hardly anyone under the age of 20 has experienced in America.

This is mainly an exercise in nostalgia (as are many threads on GAF), but I thought it'd be interesting to discuss some of the unique aspects of arcade culture that an entire generation and more to come will never experience.

I'll kick things off with the one that stands out to me the most:

Friendly Competition and Learning with Strangers

Competing against strangers in arcades was a far cry from what we think of now: 13-year-olds shouting racial epithets anonymously at their opponents over headsets. Arcade competition took place in a communal setting, so naturally people were inclined to be more respectful toward one another lest they get their face pounded in. People of all age groups and backgrounds would come together to not only compete in fighting games and the like, but also to learn from one another. The Internet had not yet become ubiquitous in the early-to-mid 90's, so word-of-mouth rumors and discovery were commonplace in arcades at the time. Whenever a new game would show up in a local arcade, you'd find yourself discovering or learning about new moves, features, or secrets almost every time you returned. This process would continue for months, and popular games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Killer Instinct would continue to draw crowds for sometimes years on end.

Local multiplayer on consoles has also taken a backseat to the more disconnected, anonymous experience of online play, but I think in-person arcade competition is something that I will always especially miss and recall fondly.

ffaTourney_B.jpg

In the mid 80s, cheap cigarette smoke being blown in your face and then getting suckerpunched outside the bowling alley because you beat a guy at Galaga.

Older kids smoking around you, bullying you off of machines, and stealing your quarters.

Yup, the arcades were shit. Which is why everyone was so happy to adopt home consoles when they started advertising "arcade quality graphics".

If arcades didn't suck, they'd still be around.

ScOULaris

Older kids smoking around you, bullying you off of machines, and stealing your quarters.

In the mid 80s, cheap cigarette smoke being blown in your face and then getting suckerpunched outside the bowling alley because you beat a guy at Galaga.

Haha, Jesus. I guess experiences varied depending on where you lived. Did you guys live in major cities? I never saw any of that growing up in Orlando.

The cigarette smoke was definitely ever-present, though.

bjork

Sketchy dudes selling drugs at the roller rink.

Seeing games on a computer before seeing it in an arcade, and not knowing how shitty your C64 port of a game really was.

Krejlooc

Banned
Competing against strangers in arcades was a far cry from what we think of now: 13-year-olds shouting racial epithets anonymously at their opponents over headsets. Arcade competition took place in a communal setting, so naturally people were inclined to be more respectful toward one another lest they get their face pounded in

PFT, I was a notorious shit-talker in the arcades, and anybody worth a damn spoke a big game. I remember this dude showing me mercy in MK3 once - I was a teen, he was like 30, and there was a huge crowd around us. And then I came back and punished him for that sliver of life and stole his victory, and dogged on the guy the entire time I did it. "I'm going to lead with my jump-in combo now... here comes the turn-around jump kick... watch for the slide..."

Shit-talking was very much part of the arcade scene.

ScOULaris

PFT, I was a notorious shit-talker in the arcades, and anybody worth a damn spoke a big game. I remember this dude showing me mercy in MK3 once - I was a teen, he was like 30, and there was a huge crowd around us. And then I came back and punished him for that sliver of life and stole his victory, and dogged on the guy the entire time I did it. "I'm going to lead with my jump-in combo now... here comes the turn-around jump kick... watch for the slide..."

Sure, friendly trash-talking was common, but you'd never tell someone in the arcade that their "mother sucks cuntz in hell." Yes, that's an actual quote from some kid on CS:GO, and it's one of hundreds of similar remarks that I've received.

I remember arcades during the 90s.

Machines were broken as fuck, bigger kids threw their weight around to push younger kids off of machines, gum all over machines, questionable older men invading kid friendly spaces to best their scores.

Yeah, it wasn't the most inviting of places, but OP you're right the slurs weren't thrown around in public. Trash talk was legit trash talk. There was no need to go for slurs to mentally fuck with your opponents head and I miss that.

I was expecting Barcade to kind of revive the arcade, but seeing how those places are managed, often with quarters being eaten by machines and drunk patrons messing with the machines, the arcade days are long gone :/

Peltz

Depends on the arcade. But trash talking was still better in person than the way the youngsters do it online. There was still accountability and respect to it due to the lack of anonymity.

Edit: is there still an arcade scene in Japan? If so, what is that like?

Haha, Jesus. I guess experiences varied depending on where you lived. Did you guys live in major cities? I never saw any of that growing up in Orlando.

The cigarette smoke was definitely ever-present, though.

Orange County CA. Bunch of assholes in Maui & Sons t-shirts and Vans smoking Marlboros thinking they were gods because they rocked at pac-man.

Yup, the arcades were shit. Which is why everyone was so happy to adopt home consoles when they started advertising "arcade quality graphics".

If arcades didn't suck, they'd still be around.
I'm pretty sure people were adopting home consoles because it was cheaper and more convenient than going to the arcade all the time

I really can't think of many benefits of 80s/90s arcade culture compared to now. It was always more frustrating to me than anything. Games that cheat you out of money... other people bullying you... shopping malls (ew)... I did not like arcades and I hated that it was the only way to play certain games.

I did, however, really like arcade racing games. Having those racing machines lined up and going against your friends with a wheel was a BLAST. Not only that, but no one else seemed to like them so they were always open.

Depends on the arcade. But trash talking was still better in person than the way the youngsters do it online. There was still accountability and respect to it due to the lack of anonymity.

Edit: is there still an arcade scene in Japan? If so, what is that like?

Based on some videos of the Super Best Friends, the arcade scene is still big in major cities across Japan.

Guilty Gear and Ultimax are part of that scene IIRC.

reektann

Starting your 88 hit ultra combo against Eyedol on Killer Instinct, then walking off like it's nothing.

Even though you had a blocker on the coin slot but somebody puts their money in and challenges you in SF2 anyway. Ugh.

conman

The smell of nicotine and carpet cleaner.

The sound of dozens of games all making noise at the same time.

Saving quarters as a motivation for getting good.

Having an ugly, creepy temple devoted to games.

Getting free tokens for good grades.

Mann, arcades were the fucking days !

Kids today will never understand how deep the culture of videogames was back in the days. Playing Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat with all kinds of people looking at you and some hating if you kicked ass... competition was fierce but so fun and rewarding.

Back in those days, there wasn't online, all you heard is that there's this guy at that arcade that has crazy good skills in Street Fighter, then you have many kids wanting to challenge him/her... sick ! Most of them were 10 year old Asians that kicked everyone's ass !

Winner stays, loser pays is an S-rank life lesson you get best from the arcades.

Today's kids won't know what it is to put that quarter up and get next against the baddest local players of a particular fighting game. Youtube and FAQs and whatever make everyone an instant tournament junkie anyway, so it no longer seems special to play killer local competition either (unless you go to a notorious hotspot in your area, like Next Level in NYC or something).

The last vestige of the VS in remaining arcades & pizza places across NA is either in MvC or DDR.

I don't see any Third Strike machines near me at least, but I'll see a MvC or DDR machine.

Phades

Seeing how people play and counter certain things in real time and actually being able to ask them directly afterwards how something worked I think was one of the best things about arcades in the past.

The linked simulator machines like virtua on, T-mek, or battle pods were an awesome experience as well, especially in a tournament setting.

Things that won't be missed being the thugs that occasionally loitered around and disrupted things.

I was born in the mid 80s and besides "family fun" places like Chuck E Cheese's, I only ever saw somewhat run-down mall arcades here or there.

To be honest, I never felt like I missed any major cultural interaction and arcades were always sketchy and sparsely populated.

Your description and nostalgia make me think that the unique social experience only appealed to some people in that way, which is why others clearly preferred the home console experience.

Edit:I've never really cared for fighters either, so there's that.

old

They're not missuing out on being nickel and dimed. These new F2P games share some aspects of old arcade games. Notably being designed specifically to encourage you to pop money into them. They go about it differently but it's ultimately the same goal.

reektann

Physically waiting at the arcade for Super Street Fighter 2 to arrive then watching it get installed and playing it most of the day.

Realising Ridge Racer is 70p per play and looking disgusted.

Alx

Being in awe of a new game, not daring to risk your own quarters at first and just watching other people play. Until you make the jump and start your first game. And then feeling all the tension to make your quarter last as long as possible...

ScOULaris

Your description and nostalgia make me think that the unique social experience only appealed to some people in that way, which is why others clearly preferred the home console experience.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone's arcade experiences heavily depended on their local scene. Arcades near me in the 90's were usually packed with people playing fighting games.

Also, don't forget that back then arcade games were much more impressive than their console counterparts from an audiovisual perspective. Remember the term "arcade perfect" with regard to console ports? It wasn't until the Dreamcast launch that consoles finally caught up in terms of hardware, discounting the Neo-Geo.

sleepykyo

Hm. Seems like the usual is covered so I'll add having to wait in line for another go. Losses hurt when you have to wait half an hour for the next match. Especially when the person that beat you loses right before your rematch.

No. Online endless doesn't count. Players simply leave the room and find a new room. Arcades might only have one setup or the setups were (unofficially) divided into the setup for good players and the setup for bad players.

Balb

Being in awe of a new game, not daring to risk your own quarters at first and just watching other people play. Until you make the jump and start your first game. And then feeling all the tension to make your quarter last as long as possible...

Is this an essential experience though or is it a neat memory to look back on?

Begging homeless people for change outside the arcade...
The adreneline from competition with Tekken,MK and streetfighter.
Feeling like a real bad ass gangbanger while playing Virtua cop and Time crisis.
The smell of armpit sweat and the fear in your opponents eyes.
Shall i go on ?

gelf

Their missing out on awesome home conversions of Arcade games that lose the credit munching aspects and just keep the great pick up and play gameplay. The loss for me isn't so much going there but more the types of games that became much rarer with their demise.

Mihos

Gold Member
Leaving the house... and running out of quarters.

I literally have to turn the power off to get the kid to move some days.

That chaos and factions that form in Gauntlet when you hear "Your Shots Now Hurt Other Players"

Coconut

Banned
Begging homeless people for change outside the arcade...
The adreneline from competition with Tekken,MK and streetfighter.
Feeling like a real bad ass gangbanger while playing Virtua cop and Time crisis.
The smell of armpit sweat and the fear in your opponents eyes.
Shall i go on ?

I don't know I think kids aren't missing out on trying to get change from homeless people.

suikodan

This is a part of gaming forever lost.

I will always remember entering an arcade and hearing "Hadoken!" "Cowabunga!" and "Johnny Cage Wins". Today all you hear are car engines but racing games are all that's left nowadays.

Other than that, that sense of good competition with strangers, waiting for your turn (with your coin sitting on the border of the screen) and the ambiant sounds are things that will never be like before.

My arcade cabinet is a fine example of 90s gaming and I'm proud to be able to run "old" games like Pac-Man (even if it is the DX version) and new games like Ultra SF4.

Thrill of the 1 credit clear, sure it still can be experienced with modern shmups and arcade ports but the number of youngsters who do this are a tiny minority.

Also the idea that finishing a game and seeing it's ending credits isn't a god given right for every gamer and that such a thing is there as a treat for gamers who are skilled and put the effort into passing muster.

That said such concepts weren't as strong in western arcades where credit feeding was popular.

Setting your quarter on the "dash" of the machine to reserve your spot in line.

We did that here in the UK, from what I understand everybody around the world had this custom too correct? The alternative would be to talk to the player which might put them off their game

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Arcades are where you experienced the badass new ips from Sega, Capcom, Namco, Midway, and others. You couldn't play them anywhere else, and if a home version was eventually made, the arcade version still trounced it.

Top Bottom