• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Some Good Walking Simulators?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What are some walking simulators GAF here would recommend?

Just to get it out of the way, there are a few that interest me.

Kholat - I'm a fan of paranormal and UFO stuff and a regular listener to Coast to Coast AM. The game is based on the Dyatlov Pass Incident so it's one on mt wishlist.

Amnesia - I love almost any game where you explore a haunted castle or mansion. Looks like it has Clive Barker tones.

Call of Cthulhu: Official Game - This was is based off the Chaosium tabletop game and I love the mythos. I heard it's shorter than Ben Shapiro in a basketball game, though.

I know there's a couple others I had my eye on but I'm willing to hear some recommends from my brothers and sisters here.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm a real big fan of Dear Esther, definitely did not expect to like that game as much as I did. Lovely experience.
Also, hi, I'm the one NeoGAF member that enjoyed Gone Home. But the developer's other game, Tacoma, sucks ass :lollipop_squint_tongue:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is superb.

Get Amnesia: The Dark Descent first though, also it's a bit more gameplay oriented than most, it's more of an adventure game than a walking simulator, with the stealth scare bits on top... Gone Home is neat...

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I liked Ether One and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (this second one is more of a dragging a heavy object simulator).

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I usually hate walking simulators.

But I played the shit out of The Talos Principle, although that leans towards being a heavy puzzle game with narrative/walking simulator elements built in.

Dear Esther is a fantastic walking simulator with pretty striking visuals and a haunting story with INCREDIBLE music. Dear Esther is an ACTUAL walking simulator though, you won't do much other than walk around and take in the atmosphere, unlike some of the other suggestions here(which are all still great suggestions)

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Bernband

It's free, just try it
bernband02.png

12.30.2016-16.42.09.15.png

Last edited:
It's been said a few times but another vote for What remains of Edith finch here.
Started and finished it in one sitting it's a really well told story and looks beautiful.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Forgot to mention Visage. It's a pt like game currently in early access on steam. Very scary and atmospheric. Markiplier has a playthrough on it.

Vawn

Banned
According to MicroGAF, God of War, Last of Us, Spider-man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone.

Oh, you said good walking simulators? Nevermind.

Seriously though, I liked Everybody's Gone to the Rapture except for its painfully slow walking speed. Firewatch too. I hated Gone Home.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

The best ones are What Remains of Edith Finch and Firewatch.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter is alright, but inferior to the first two.
So is Call of Cthulhu, though I'm not sure it qualifies as a walking simulator.. there are "action" parts.. might as well call Alan Wake one.

ABZÛ is really beautiful to look at, but not much else.

Draugen is nice, could have been great, but it's a bit too short and the way the story ends might be disappointing to some.

Kholat - I'm a fan of paranormal and UFO stuff and a regular listener to Coast to Coast AM. The game is based on the Dyatlov Pass Incident so it's one on mt wishlist.
This one is horrible. You have to navigate using the ingame map (which works kinda like a real map, as in you don't know where you are on it) and a russian compass. Basically, there is a list of places you have to find and visit.. But even after looking up how to use the compass, i was lost all the time and snowy mountains become boring pretty quick. Also, you can't climb even small rocks..

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm not really a fan of walking sims, I quit Firewatch after about 1 or 2 hrs because it was too boring, quit Tacoma after about a half hour, hated the characters, story and it was too boring .

I thought Layers of Fear & Edith Finch were OKish, and I actually liked Oxenfree and The Observer.

I sunk nearly 40 hours into White Day. It's on sale on Steam for a McDonalds meal. Simple game about delivering some chocolate in a Korean high school. Really good game.

oF687Zf.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Death stranding times 10000.

But otherwise the solus project
I remember downloading the Solus Project as a access preview or something. Never bothered trying it. DIdnt know it was a walking sim since I remember preview vids being some kind of edgy survival horror in space game. Thanks. Won't bother.

Top Bottom