• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Some Good Walking Simulators?

I_D

Dear Esther is a fantastic walking simulator with pretty striking visuals and a haunting story with INCREDIBLE music. Dear Esther is an ACTUAL walking simulator though, you won't do much other than walk around and take in the atmosphere, unlike some of the other suggestions here(which are all still great suggestions)

I was going to be really pissed if nobody mentioned this one. Instead, we're now e-brothers.

Dear Esther is the best walking-simulator, period. All of the other options are just trying to emulate the greatness that is this game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Death Stranding. But it's ruined by the laughably bad story and cut scenes. The walking is great though.
I kinda dig the story from what I lnow aboot it.

The dialogue and cutscenes are cheesy in that Japanese kind of way. Lol Princess Beach.

Shmunter

Edith Finch and Soma are the most striking and amazing. Many other mentioned here are also very good. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture; it’s important to play with subtitles to get a good grip on the characters at play, otherwise the ghostly figures do lead to confusion

Jtibh

Banned
I remember downloading the Solus Project as a access preview or something. Never bothered trying it. DIdnt know it was a walking sim since I remember preview vids being some kind of edgy survival horror in space game. Thanks. Won't bother.
Nah its not in space.
You crash on a planet and have to find your way home.
Its a walking survivor simulator. Eat sleep find shelter etc. But you walk most of the time. And boy is it a slow walk.

So I get what the OP is going for obviously as there are games typically labeled as walking simulators but three great games that I believe fit the mold but not typically lumped in with other walking simulators are

Portal
Outer Wilds
Talos Principle

AmuroChan

I really enjoyed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. My only complaint is the inability to run. If there's a mod on PC to let you play the game at 3x speed, that'd be the way to play it.

Last edited:
I usually hate walking simulators.

But I played the shit out of The Talos Principle, although that leans towards being a heavy puzzle game with narrative/walking simulator elements built in.
Well you can't even compare Talos to walking sims like Amnesia.
Talos is a puzzle game. I honestly think it's even better then portal.

AGRacing

Death Stranding is not a walking simulator!! It is an “action / strand game”.
aTetbnh.gif

prag16

Banned
Lots of people saying Firewatch. It was okay, but kind of slow in the first half, then gets convoluted and kind of fizzles in the second half imo.

The Stanley Parable is great. Some of the other popular ones here (Edith Finch, Ethan Carter, Rapture, Esther) I couldn't get through because I was bored stiff.

One I haven't seen mentioned that I really liked was The Turing Test (though more puzzle game than straight walking simulator).

xrnzaaas

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has a cool story and incredible visuals based on real life locations.

SOMA was made by the same people who worked on Amnesia, but it's different genre and there's not a lot of horror in it (doesn't have to be a downside, I'm just saying it's different).

Firewatch has a very interesting setting and incredible soundtrack.

Virginia has some pretty unique storytelling techniques and it's full of Twin Peaks vibes.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Oh so Death Stranding is a walking simulator? Okay then I have a better recommendation. Play The Last of Us OP

mekes

Ethan Carter was my absolute favourite and the game that left the biggest impression on me.

Also liked Firewatch, which is £2.99 on PS4 right now and a real steal at that price.

Exentryk

Best:
  • What remains of Edith Finch
  • SOMA (safe mode)
Decent:
  • Observer
  • Firewatch
  • Gone Home
Poor:
  • Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Tacoma

I really enjoyed SOMA. I know it's already been mentioned, but wanted to add my vote.

Here was my review:

Humanity has long had a fascination with the possibility of immortality, and as technology has evolved we've looked in that direction in the hopes of drinking from that holy grail. Of course with all things being balanced, there are costs to every purchase, and SOMA explores the dark side of the pursuit of seeking to circumvent death - the folly of attempting to circumvent inevitable change - via the tools technology has afforded. Without spoiling the details, we are taken upon a journey into the idea of what it means to be alive, what it means to be a being in possession of a degree of continuity. This journey takes us on a literal and metaphysical descent into the deepest depths of the ocean while also plumbing the depths of what it means to be a distinct, separate "self".

On this adventure into the abyss, SOMA does an incredible job of making you feel lost, insecure, fragile and uncertain how to proceed. Uncertainty and fragility were the central feelings imparted while playing in my view, and the atmosphere simply hummed. I found myself utterly absorbed with this world and felt lost both literally and metaphorically. Some games just captivate with their sense of place and with the tone they attempt to generate, and SOMA is a rare breed of special in this regard. I was thoroughly engaged throughout, if not always comfortable. There were also some absolutely wonderful moments of tension in dealing with and hiding from some of the "monsters" in this world. It was at times genuinely unsettling, and I really loved what it brought to the table in terms of the sense of dread.

As much as I loved most of SOMA, there were some unfortunate missteps. The main character's voice was quite amateurish and hokey. This was also true for much of the other voice work in the game - delivered in large part by data logs. It's really disappointing because it sat so at odds with the brilliance of the rest of the presentation. I was really frustrated at the contrast between the outstanding atmosphere and the dreadful acting. It just seemed like the voice work belonged in a different game. If they had simply decided to forego voice altogether, the game would have benefited tremendously, as the rest of the atmosphere would have easily carried things, and having things silent would have been very appropriate to the overall tone. Also, as much as I enjoyed the dread and anxiety from encountering the infrequent "monster" sections, they were sometimes frustrating because they slowed everything down to a snail's pace because you felt frozen, unable to move for fear of alerting the enemy. When you couple that sensation with some very dark areas at times and occasionally having no idea where to go, you can end up replacing the terror with frustration, and that is not what you want to experience as a player. Finally, if you are prone to existential dread of any kind, you may not get as much enjoyment as those who are willing to disassemble themselves in the quest to satisfy an unquenchable curiosity.

Overall though, the strengths of SOMA's atmosphere were more than enough to counterbalance some obvious flaws. I found myself enthralled in my journey into this hypothetical future of humanity's quest for survival. Had a couple of issues been addressed with a little more craft, SOMA could have been an all-time classic. As it stands, it is still a gripping experience that will please anyone who is interested in existential horror or is drawn to dark science fiction. A really enjoyable 4/5.

Last edited:

Fbh

Journey is still my favorite. Nice visuals and music, perfect length and a touching, well, joruney.
Also liked what Remains of Edith Finch. And the Vanishing of Ethan Carter was ok.

Haven't really played many others. I was interested in Firewatch but got some important story beats spoiled and didn't like what they did with the plot so I never picked it up.

Not really my genre though

Last edited:
lol some of the answers here...

Might as well add any console game that requires you to walk to the console to insert the disc amirite

Love Firewatch, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Vanishing Ethan, Tacoma, etc, oh and it kinda counts (at least more than Uncharted 4), but the beautiful The Witness.

Journey is still my favorite. Nice visuals and music, perfect length and a touching, well, journey.

Been waiting for this one to come to the Epic store as they promised. Looks so good.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I would add obduction to the list.
And since some here mentioned the wittness lets add the talos principle to it as well.

ROMhack

I think we've kinda exhausted the list by now so I'll add Kentucky Route Zero. It's very much the same slow vibe as you get with walking simulators.

As a top three:

1. Soma
2. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
3. Dear Esther

Last edited:
Top Bottom