• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some new games (new ips) since 2020 that you consider among your favourites of all time?

kicker

Banned
No sequels, remakes or ports.
Any budget level (big budget, Indie studio production, single dev, whatever) but new ips only.

I don't play a lot of new stuff, but for me:
Neon White
Elden Ring
A few other indies, but I don't think I can add them since they're technically still in development

Can't think of much else. What do you have?

Last edited:

Fbh

Elden Ring
Triangle Strategy

And if I can cheat and go back to 2019, Outer Wilds is top 5 ever material for me.

Chained Echoes is also a potential candidate but I'm still playing so I can't really say until I've finished it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New IPs are derived from old stuff just the same, some new open world action adventure isn't necessarily any better or more inventive than a Zelda sequel for it to go over it just because it's a new IP. I mean, actual sequels can be "new IP" as Elden Ring shows just the same so the IP hardly matters.

If I post all my favorite boomer shooters since 2020 that doesn't make them any better than Doom (except they're all way better than Doom Eternal but not because they're new IP or more unrelated to previous Doom and Quake games than Doom Eternal is, if anything it's the exact opposite, lol).

I mean, there also are games that have the same IP as some way older stuff but are completely unrelated to them yet don't qualify. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners just about passes the arbitrary 2020 limit but can't be included because of past TWD games that don't play similarly? Just weird.

Anyway, here's one.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
New IPs are derived from old stuff just the same, some new open world action adventure isn't necessarily any better or more inventive than a Zelda sequel for it to go over it just because it's a new IP. I mean, actual sequels can be "new IP" as Elden Ring shows just the same so the IP hardly matters.
The thing is, a new ip does not have a franchise name to attach to. It lives or dies by its own marketing and its own gameplay, even if it is extremely derivative (which most games are).

If I post all my favorite boomer shooters since 2020 that doesn't make them any better than Doom (except they're all way better than Doom Eternal but not because they're new IP or more unrelated to previous Doom and Quake games than Doom Eternal is, if anything it's the exact opposite, lol).
It was not suggested anywhere that being a new ip automatically makes a game better. All the thread is about is sharing your favourite games of the 2020s that are not attached to any other franchise.
Don't take this so seriously. Have some fun. Share some games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol, even by your own post you were hard pressed to find games so this is clearly a thinly veiled "boo hoo there's no creativity any more, nobody can think of stuff with these stupid limits (especially when they have to be among all time favorites rather than just new favorites)" but I'm the one not having fun? Also every Souls fan bought Elden Ring, even with a new name it didn't only live by its own marketing and gameplay as you want to make the point now but as a the latest in an increasingly successful series of games that everybody, whether interested or not, knew it's part of, come on.

Last edited:
It is baffling how consoles with ×10 GPU power and insane CPU improvements struggle with games that barely look better than games designed to run on 2013 hardware. Ie fallen order

bender

What time is it?
Maybe it is a narrow view but I see Elden Ring as an extension of the Souls franchise so I wouldn't count it as new. I can't really think of anything in the '20s that would crack my list.

StereoVsn

Yeah, not sure if Elden Ring counts, but if does, I would put it on the list.

I also really liked Ghost if Tsushima. The atmosphere, story, and combat were top notch. I think the upcoming sequel will be even better (hopefully) as it corrects some issues around Open World gameplay, gear/inventory and a few other things.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
81lVA9vWmKS._AC_SX342_.jpg

envyzeal

Returnal, Elden Ring (if it counts), Kena has a great potential and you can curse me but I really want to see Outriders 2

Fuz

Banned

I mean, there also are games that have the same IP as some way older stuff but are completely unrelated to them yet don't qualify. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners just about passes the arbitrary 2020 limit but can't be included because of past TWD games that don't play similarly? Just weird.

Anyway, here's one.
Oh, overwhelmingly positive. Interesting.

kicker

Banned
Lol, even by your own post you were hard pressed to find games so this is clearly a thinly veiled "boo hoo there's no creativity any more, nobody can think of stuff with these stupid limits (especially when they have to be among all time favorites rather than just new favorites)" but I'm the one not having fun? Also every Souls fan bought Elden Ring, even with a new name it didn't only live by its own marketing and gameplay as you want to make the point now but as a the latest in an increasingly successful series of games that everybody, whether interested or not, knew it's part of, come on.
Relax my man. I think you know if I wanted to make that point, I would have typed it out in the op.

We are not at a loss for new games, especially in the indie space. AAA might be stale, but, eh, we're just 3 years into the decade.

kicker

Banned
You literally just made the point you claimed it's not about when replying to my first post, where I defended established IP as not necessarily any less creative than a new IP and you agreed with it and said I'm looking at the thread wrong, lol.
My man. I'll say it again.

You are looking at the thread wrong. You are trying to bring out a point I am not trying to make. Pointing out the truth that AAA games are kinda stale and asking what new ips people like can be separate topics, by your own unprompted admission here

So why did you even bring it up when no-one else did?

The point of the thread is to discuss the games that might be considered classics at the end of the decade without the backing of an established brand.
If I wanted to shit on the state of the industry, I would. But not today.

kicker

Banned
Elden Ring as an extension of the Souls franchise so I wouldn't count it as new
Yeah, not sure if Elden Ring counts, but if does, I would put it on the list.
Elden Ring (if it counts)
I wouldn't consider it a new type of game or gameplay in any way (with precedent in Dying light from Dead Island devs, Outer Worlds from Fallout devs, etc) but by definition, it should count as a new ip. The lore and setting of ER are one of its most intriguing aspects, as disorganized as the delivery is. And that aspect is entirely new.

You literally just typed out the point you just claimed it's not about.
Like I said (and you conveniently left out of the quote). I would have typed it out in the unedited op if that's what the thread was about.

Also one of your own 2 named picks is AAA (and hardly new IP)
Did you even read the op? \/
Any budget level (big budget, Indie studio production, single dev, whatever) but new ips only
Let it go, man. You misread the thread

Humdinger

Nothing, really. Spiderman PS4 was the best game I played since then. I wouldn't call that new.

Oh, overwhelmingly positive. Interesting.

Wish I had a gaming PC. That looks good (Northern Journey).

Last edited:
Sifu
Solasta (best D&D combat I've ever seen)
Deathloop
Fracked (PSVR)
Wanderer (PSVR)
Artful Escape

Also, if I can roll the clock back slightly:
Return of the Obra Dinn (2018)
Outer Wilds (2019)

Top Bottom