• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best balls to the wall action movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing this praise for John Wick in the thread and I'm surprised to hear people comparing it to Dredd, which I absolutely fucking loved. I like the Raid and thought the Raid 2 was an absolute action masterpiece. I dig Shoot 'Em Up and Smoking Aces for their absurdity and sheer body count. I love every single Tarantino movie.

Give me something badass without a bunch of shaky cam bullshit. I don't need a coherent plot. I don't need compelling characters. I need the best action there is. Guns, fists, swords, whatever. Give it to me.

Just bumped this thread to talk about our first choice. Editing my post into the OP:
So my roommates and I finally started our action movie odyssey tonight, and we went with The Man From Nowhere for our first movie. It wasn't exactly balls to the wall action, but it was a really fucking great movie all around. Won Bin is a huge badass in it and really nails everything he does. What fights and action scenes there are are absolutely incredible - the final fight with the assassin is brilliantly choreographed and very well shot. The pace was tight and I never felt bored with the move - I was riveted the whole time, and totally forgot about even bothering to check my phone once. I thought the very ending was kind of cheesy, but I suspect that was more due to cultural differences than bad movie making so I don't mind it one bit.

Overall, a great movie and a good start for us. We're not sure what we're watching next cause there are so many recommendations here, but I'm looking forward to whatever we pick.

entremet

True Lies
Commando
Predator

Arnold in his prime days, although True Lies was near the end of his big run.

Since you already said The Raid and Raid 2 you NEED to watch HARD BOILED. It's a gun movie instead of martial arts but it sets an insanely high bar for action movies.

EDIT: wow beaten

TEJ

Wheels on Meals and Hard Target are fun choices as well.

The legend with Jet Li and fist of legend with jet li

the chinese connection with bruce lee is another good choice.

UGH

I forgot about Police Story with jackie chan.

Akahige

Probably not what your looking for since it's not ball to the wall action but Jack Reacher does the action scenes really well.

Ip Man
Ong Bak
The Protector {Tom-Yum-Goong}

and born to fight
cflG1gW.jpg

Leaves reality at the front door and just goes nuts for 90mins

TEJ

and born to fight

Leaves reality at the front door and just goes nuts for 90mins

I need to watch this as soon as I can! Can't believe I haven't heard of this one before.

I've also heard good things about SPL/killzone with donnie yen.

fushi

A lot of good recommendations already, so I am just going to quote the most underrated one:
This movie TOTALLY hits the sweet spot in action and humor. Michael C Hall plays a fantastic villain and Gerard Butler performs a believable Gerard Butler.

lemmykoopa

Flash Point (donnie yen goes MMA. Especially last 30 mins is action heavy).

The Protector (Tony Jaa, there's a 7 min scene shot in one take that is really fantastic, worth watching the film alone for that)

Also Crank is poor, shouldn't be in this thread.

FACE/OFF

With Nick Cage and John Travolta. It's a favorite of mine, and I watch it yearly. So dumb, but it is an excellent action film.

MiszMasz

That Tintin CG movie, I'm 100% serious.
It starts off quiet but after something like 15-20mins it's pretty much constant explosions, crashing, fighting, shooting, bit of sneaking, pirates, chases, alcohol, dog and eagle fights, facial hair etc. etc.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Nothing will get better than the Raid movies. Shit will seem toned down and mellow compared to those masterpieces.

Shadybiz

The rock. Best bay movie.

Fuckin' A. People can hate on Bay all they want (and I understand most of the hate), but The Rock was awesome.
I think we just became best friends

Also:
Die Hard
Die Hard: With a Vengeance
Predator
Aliens (gotta go director's cut)
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Oh, fuckin' Fifth Element.

I don't need a coherent plot. I don't need compelling characters. I need the best action there is. Guns, fists, swords, whatever. Give it to me.
HARD BOILED is what you want.

Gave me violence fatigue when I first watched it.

Wikipedia re: critical reception said:
The Boston Herald proclaimed the film as "arguably Woo's masterpiece, it is an action film to end all action films, an experience so deliriously cinematic it makes "True Romance," a film that clearly aspires to it, look like a cheap copy"

dekline

Hard Boiled is badass. Check out The Killer as well.

For something recent, watch The Guest. Fucking bonkers.

Fuckin' A. People can hate on Bay all they want (and I understand most of the hate), but The Rock was awesome.
I think we just became best friends

Also:
Die Hard
Die Hard: With a Vengeance
Predator
Aliens (gotta go director's cut)
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Oh, fuckin' Fifth Element.
Bro fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.