• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best headphones to use with the new Xbox controller?

hwy_61

Banned
I just got the new revised controller that comes with the 3.5mm jack on the bottom, and I'm wondering what is the best headset/headphones to use with it. I bounce between a cheap pair of Panasonic buds, and a cheap monoprice over the ear headphones.

I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound from games. Chat isn't a priority, so I don't need to have a mic.

Whatcha got gaf?

specdot

The same ones you'd use with your PS4? I use a pair of Harmon/Kardon headsets. Or sometimes when they're not fully charged my PS Elite headsets. They come with a 3.5 cable.

sethcheek

I use the Bose QC25 that I got a good deal on last year.

I didn't buy them for gaming.. I fly often for work and bought them to muffle the constant noise of the plane. But I hooked them in just to screw around and really liked playing with them.

I don't use them for chat, just audio.

I will say that I may be missing something, because I almost want to put the chat dongle back in, over the top of that 3.5mm jack. To adjust the audio, I have to launch Settings -> Controller -> Chat Mixer or Volume. Is there a better/faster way to adjust? Also, I miss having a mute button available. Am I doing anything wrong here, or did that jack just limit making quick changes/muting?

tmtyf

Polk has had the 4 shots or the 360 equiv on sale recently. They are great especially if u can nab them at the sub $40 level (360 model refurb was 20$).

I use the sennheiser game zeros but they are a bit on the higher end of cost.

hwy_61

Banned
Polk has had the 4 shots or the 360 equiv on sale recently. They are great especially if u can nab them at the sub $40 level (360 model refurb was 20$).

I use the sennheiser game zeros but they are a bit on the higher end of cost.

Sennheisers are $200+ right? I wonder how they compare to the Astro A40s

tmtyf

I use the Bose QC25 that I got a good deal on last year.

I didn't buy them for gaming.. I fly often for work and bought them to muffle the constant noise of the plane. But I hooked them in just to screw around and really liked playing with them.

I don't use them for chat, just audio.

I will say that I may be missing something, because I almost want to put the chat dongle back in, over the top of that 3.5mm jack. To adjust the audio, I have to launch Settings -> Controller -> Chat Mixer or Volume. Is there a better/faster way to adjust? Also, I miss having a mute button available. Am I doing anything wrong here, or did that jack just limit making quick changes/muting?

My understanding is with the new control you don't need the chat adapter but because of that you lose the convenience of the options your talking about and have to change it in menu like ps4

tmtyf

Sennheisers are $200+ right? I wonder how they compare to the Astro A40s

I got them off a gaffer new for 150$ they are around the 160-180 range depending if you want the gamer one or zeros. I haven't used the a40s but if you have used any kind of sennheiser like the 598 ( I have a pair of those too ) they sound pretty much the same other than the zeros having slightly more bass due to it being closed compared to the open gamer ones. I like the fact that it has volume control right on the headset as well.

Polk 4 shots have way more bass than the sennheiser but for me sennheiser sounds clearer.

I actually wanna buy the akg 712 but I don't have the funds for the amp/ Dac required to run them properly x.x

**edit**

Just saw you said chat isn't important. 598 can be had for around 100$ Now and are pretty damn good.

I wish I kept the adapter as well, because my setup that has the 3.5mm go out to an RCA stereo makes me disconnect it, plug in the headphones and fiddle with it to get it to work, before I can plug the stereo back in. Annoying, and didn't happen with the dongle.

arhra

They're adding some quick-access audio adjustments to the new Guide in the win10 firmware update, but yeah, until that goes live it's kinda awkward.

Top Bottom