• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best (most legendary) AMVs out there?

Okay so going through that "Linkin Park Reacts to Teens React" thread got me wondering: what are the best AMVs (anime music videos for the less initiated) out there? Whether it's in terms of directing/editing or just sheer badassery, I'm just looking for whatever could be considered the cream of the crop.

video games?

You caught me ;.;

Was about to make a Kingdom Hearts or Naruto + Linkin Park joke but you got that covered I guess

This is actually kind of exactly what I was looking for

Resident Evil 4 -- Stupid MF

i still watch it from time to time and laugh.

I didn't know what to expect when I first opened this but I'm really happy that I did. I've always wanted to get into MSI and I feel like this is a pretty good door opener.

Music: Only In Dreams by Weezer
Anime: Cowboy Bebop
(By Kwasek)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZo3lQU06U

This is one of those things that I never knew I wanted. This fits with the lyrics SO WELL!

There used to be a AMV/VMV group out there in the late 90's early 2000s called NKODE I think that didn't accept anything less than the highest quality of music videos. Most MVs back then had terrible encoding and were of very low resolution.

I think they only accepted submissions in at least 640x480 resolution with minimal compression or something or other. I think they mostly did Final Fantasy music videos but there were a few other games and anime thrown in there.

WaveRider

Neo Member
I have always thought that Kevin Caldwell was one of the top (1998-2000) AMV artists. He had amazing skills in timing and editing.

More recently Lindsay McCutcheon did some incredible work on Fan.tasia (Youtube).

Metal Gear Solid - Bring Me To Life

This song is practically a meme at this point, and the actual video certainly hasn't aged any better in the ten years since I first saw this video. However, this video is the only reason I know this song exists and for that reason: Twin Snakes and Evanescence are inseparable in my mind, for better or worse.

rulerk1

i have seen alot of FFX over the years. Shocked none are in this thread. For me the funniest one i saw was Ginyu Force and Madonna's Vogue

I remember watching a Ready, Steady, Go one for Samurai Champloo a longass time ago. I recall thinking that was really cool at the time.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't know if I'm getting older, or the content that you can find on the internet is broader than ever, but I really wonder what happened with AMV/FMV? I have not seen one in ages and youtube doesn't recommend them anymore

I really loved an amv of twilight princess that was combined with San Sebastian from Sonata Artica

Lucumo

I don't know if I'm getting older, or the content that you can find on the internet is broader than ever, but I really wonder what happened with AMV/FMV? I have not seen one in ages and youtube doesn't recommend them anymore

I really loved an amv of twilight princess that was combined with San Sebastian from Sonata Artica

Well, AMVs were huge around the time Youtube started, so you got a lot of people who uploaded tons of videos there. It also helped that they were below the duration limit most of the time.

If we're talking most legendary, then Eva + Bohemian Rhapsody needs to be here, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6kZuuKGvU
Is it the video or is the upload just that bad? It also has subtitles, so I'm surprised it actually won something as I have AMVs from 1993/1994 which have better video and audio quality and no subtitles.

daveo42

Banned
Uptown Funk and Space Dandy. Editor went HAM on this, just completely above and beyond what I expect.

https://youtu.be/vhh-0od8VRQ

This is one of the best AMVs I think I have ever seen. Syncing and transitions are absolutely insane. Man...AMVs have gotten so much better since they used to be done by awkward teens listening to too much Linkin Park and watching far too much Ranma 1/2 and DBZ.

Well, AMVs were huge around the time Youtube started, so you got a lot of people who uploaded tons of videos there. It also helped that they were below the duration limit most of the time.

Is it the video or is the upload just that bad? It also has subtitles, so I'm surprised it actually won something as I have AMVs from 1993/1994 which have better video and audio quality and no subtitles.

Seems to just be a case of a pretty degraded tape. A newer upload of it exists, but it seems to just be a zoomed version of this one.

It's kind of interesting to compare to the remakes, though.

Lucumo

sjay1994

oh man. Every time I hear the words "AMV" or "Linkin Park" I am transported back to 2007 where I watched a bunch of shitty Naruto AMV's which had Windows Movie Maker credits.

Top Bottom