• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are The Best Movies Based on Cartoons?

There have been a lot of cartoons that have been adapted into movies and a lot have turned out bad, but some have turned out good. Which ones in your opinion are the best and what set them apart from the terrible ones out there?

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Is my number one. I have only seen it once, but it left a great impression on me. This was set in the same universe at the 90s animated series and featured Joker and The Phantasm as the primary antagonists. It was said that this was when Mark Hammil got his iconic Joker laugh. I wish I could say more, but shit, it's been a while since I've seen it.

2. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
This was very different from the BTAS, but Beyond proved to be an enjoyable show. The movie decided to bring some of the BTAS flavor in by having the Joker come back for the big bad of this feature.

A Goofy Movie
I don't think I've seen this since the 90s, but I remember enjoying this thoroughly. This is still pretty much my only exposure to Goofy in the animated realm.

The Powerpuff Girls Movie
This movie delved into the origins of the superhero trio. In the cartoon we find out how they were made, it's in the intro, but we never got what lead to their creation and what their first act of heroism was. That's all in here. Being so young and powerful these girls were highly dangerous and reckless in Townsville. We get to see Mojojo's origin expanded as well and it's just as bit as funny as the cartoon.

The Flintstones
I watched this the most of any cartoon movie back in the day. It's cornball as fuck, but I love it. Barney should've gotten the credit he deserves at the end of the movie. I wouldn't have let Fred get all that credit when he only got there because of him.

giphy.gif

heman17.gif

Masters of the Universe (He-Man)

The Rugrats Movie was weirdly dark. Rugrats Go Wild was pretty childish. Rugrats in Paris was actually pretty good. I loved that it focused on Chuckie since he was my favourite.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Now that we're men
We can do anything
Now that we're men
We are invincible
Now that we're men
We can do anything
Get the crown
Save the town
And Mr. Krabs!

vypek

A Goofy Movie is one of my favorite Disney movies. I agree with you on that choice as well as Mask of the Phantasm

The Peanuts Movie and Shaun the Sheep Movie are two more recent examples that I thought were great. Speed Racer's pretty awesome too.

I don't know how well it holds up as a movie, but the animation in 'The Chipmunk Adventure' is obscenely well-animated. When it came out in 1987, it looked better than the stuff Disney was putting out.

HotHamBoy

There's a fair amount of good anime films that are based on tv series.

In the West I think you've pretty much got them covered already.

joe2187

Banned
I still dont understand why GAF keeps sucking that speed racer dick so much. It's some sort of meme I guess.

Speed Racer is the GAFest movie ever. Looks really cool in gifs, but is dorky as fuck, over-long, hyperactive, eye candy overload, weeaboo nonsense.

Like if you're gonna stan for Speed Racer, at least have the good grace to plug The Adventures of Tintin as well, which is like an actually good version of what that movie was trying to do.

Speed Racer is the GAFest movie ever. Looks really cool in gifs, but is dorky as fuck, over-long, hyperactive, eye candy overload, weeaboo nonsense.

Like if you're gonna stan for Speed Racer, at least have the good grace to plug The Adventures of Tintin as well, which is like an actually good version of what that movie was trying to do.
Preach.

TCsbVwM.gif

zb593YS.gif

Venture

South Park, Bigger, Longer, And Uncut is the best, at least for western animation. The title is exactly what you get; a bigger, more epic version of the show and it still manages to be just as funny as the best episodes. It's also a terrific musical on top of everything else.

The Powerpuff Girls Movie
This movie delved into the origins of the superhero trio. In the cartoon we find out how they were made, it's in the intro, but we never got what lead to their creation and what their first act of heroism was. That's all in here. Being so young and powerful these girls were highly dangerous and reckless in Townsville. We get to see Mojojo's origin expanded as well and it's just as bit as funny as the cartoon.
I couldn't disagree more on this one. PPG movie was so dull and serious. The TV show's intro is all you need to know about their origins. Expanding that into a full movie that gets all dark and emotional was a big mistake to me.

Top Bottom